“A Bit Scary” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Box Tree Inn

Box Tree Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Box Tree Inn
250 East 49th Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #398 of 451 hotels in New York City
“A Bit Scary”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2006

The Box Tree is sort of a stage set. It looks great in photographs, but in reality it's a cheap imitation...lots of paint and spit and make-do cover-ups. But more importantly is considering how one would get out of there if there were a fire.

The restaurant food is superb, so there's no problem there. Expensive, but worth it.

I left the hotel with a companion about 10 PM to walk to the Waldorf which is nearby. I was robbed but not hurt. When I went back to the hotel, I told them what had happened, that all of my money and credit cards had been stolen, and that I needed to cash a check.

They refused.

A waiter who had overheard the conversation went and got the chef. He said he would personally cash my check, and asked how much I needed. He said he would put the money ($500) under my door and I could mail him my check when I got home. And that's what he did and that's what I did.

I resented that the hotel, where I had stayed multiple times, and was using my American Express number to charge my room and expenses, was unwilling accomodate me in this emergency.

I have stayed at the Royalton, Algonquin and Essex House -- REAL hotels -- ever since.

• Stayed November 2002, traveled on business

5 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Couples
Solo
Guilford, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Box Tree in June after returning from our honeymoon. We booked the room on expedia for about $200. When we arrived at the hotel, the people at the restaurant carried our bags in the room. We stayed in room # 3, the Egyptian room. It was beautifully decorated and had a fireplace, a small sitting area,and a large bathroom with luxury bath items. The room was definately exotically decorated, which we loved. In the morning, we did not recieve breakfast, so I went downstairs to the restaurant, where they told me that they knocked on our door at 8 am, but we didn't answer. They then brought up our breakfast. After we checked out, they held our bags for us while we went sight seeing. Overall, the customer service was friendly, it was a quiet hotel, awe especially enjoyed our room. I would definately stay at the Box Tree again and recommend it to anyone who's looking for a peaceful escape.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2004

We stayed here for 3 nights in August 2004. The room was comfortable, bathroom tiny, had a great shower and plenty of hot water.

Enjoyed the fact that it gave the feeling of staying in a New York neighborhood and it was very quiet.

Disappointed in the advertised "complimentary breakfast delivered daily to guestrooms" ...this consisted of a coffee maker in the room with some canned fruit juice and bottled water in the room refrigerator and two boxes of cornflakes on the shelf with NO milk!

Would be helpful to have some NY magazines in the room for things to see and do in the surrounding neighborhood other than the yellow pages in the closet!!

Would stay here again in future visits to NY City.

• Stayed August 2004
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2004

My friends stayed at the hotel in May 2004.
The windows couldnt open and it was in front of a wall.!!! the room was dark like in a cave.
The sheets were not changed as requested and had holes in them.
The shower head broke and it completely fell on my friends' head pole and all.
As my friends were my guests I complained and it was hard you never see anyone there!! The final result?? nothing not even an apology!!
My friend still has headaches due to that incident.
Box tree Inn is lucky there has not been a lawsuit.
I wouldnt recommand this place to anyone and I am ashamed I did recommand it in the past as i never stayed there.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2003

The Box Tree was a perfect place to stay for a romantic weekend in New York. The fact that each room is decorated in a particular style makes it special. Absolutely exquisite. Breakfast was served in our room in the morning, with a fire burning in the fireplace and a rose on the table. We will never forget it.

Been to Box Tree Inn? Share your experiences!