“a safe and cozy gem in a great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chelsea Pines Inn

Save Saved
You added Chelsea Pines Inn to your Saves list
Chelsea Pines Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   317 West 14th Street, New York City, NY 10014 (Manhattan)   |
Announcement
Special summer sale now!
Ranked #2 of 451 hotels in New York City
maine
“a safe and cozy gem in a great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

I stayed at the Chelsea Pines Inn in July to meet with a NY colleague and also visit friends while in town. I booked a suite which was perfect, as my colleague and I met in the extra room. My colleague lives in NY and couldn't believe the size of the rooms. She was going to tell her folks about the Inn for an upcoming visit.

In the room there's a coffee maker with GOOD coffee, and a fridge and kitchen area, which is so nice to have. Free wireless - a huge plus. Breakfast is terrific - so many options. A lovely courtyard out back. The staff were terribly helpful and pleasant. Each morning they drop a sheet of goings on in the area and recommendations for activities. It is extremely well run, clean and cozy. Half a block from the subway at 14th and 8th Ave. Steps from good restaurants, and so easy to get to midtown or downtown. I will definitely stay here again and tell my friends!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

1,400 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. From the moment we walked in the door it felt more like arriving at our own apartment than at a hotel. Its location is great for public transport less than a minute walk to a subway station for Uptown / downtown or cross town. We found the area fine to walk around at night and some great restaurants and bars close by.
Our room was their "standard room" and it was great. It was the Anne Margret room. Very clean with quality appointments. It was on the 4th floor so there are a few steps to deal with but that just helps work off the breakfast which was fresh a tasty each day!! If your worried about getting you bag up to your room, don't be, all the staff we dealt with during our stay were more than helpful, with great personalities and that was even over one of America's main public holiday weekends when most Americans were on holidays themselves. I was impressed.
There really wasn't anything that we didn't like about this hotel.
To Jay and all your staff, thanks again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

My husband, brother and I stayed at Chelsea Pines in the Leslie Caron 1 bedroom suite on the 5th floor. It worked perfectly for the three of us. The bedroom (which was on the small side) had a sliding door to a vestibule space where the single day bed, desk, kitchenette and cupboard were located. There was direct access from both the vestibule and the bedroom to the bathroom, which meant that all three of us could move around the space without disturbing the others, which was great as my brother had a decidedly different timetable for his holiday (5am nights out and 1pm wake ups!).

Location was exactly what we wanted, close to fantastic neighborhoods, with so much going on. Room was cool (welcome on 34 degree days), clean and much quieter than I expected, even though it faced busy 14th street. I am a fairly light sleeper and had no problems.

Without a doubt the stars were the staff, who were without exception welcoming and approachable. Nothing was too much trouble and they were as quick with a friendly quip as they were with advice. The "Things To Do Today" list that arrived under the door each morning was a typically thoughtful touch!

I loved it and would recommend it unreservedly.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Daylesford, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

What a find! Jay, Troy and Al really know how to make you feel at home and nothing was too much trouble. Our room was on the 3rd floor and Troy whisked our bags up there in seconds upon our arrival. Spacious and well appointed, our "Jeffrey Hunter" room was great. Everywhere in NYC is on a busy road, but noise was not a problem with double glazing. The air-conditioning really worked too, given the heat and humidity we struck even in mid-June. The location is perfect for accessing the subway, and lots of tasty, affordable restaurants nearby. The guys on the front desk were always making excellent suggestion on local sights and were always happy to answer our questions with a smile (They must have heard the same ones a million times!). Breakfast was plentiful with bagels, cereals, toast, muffins etc available well into the morning. A nice outdoor courtyard is really appreciated in the heart of the city. Did we mention "Charlie" the resident cat who was born there? What a sweetie. We would definitely stay here again and have recommended it to friends already.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
State College, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

When you call them they tell you they are a walk-up hotel. We got the Rock Hudson room and we climbed up to the fifth story. The location is just fantastic. The A, C, L, E lines can be found a few yards from the hotel. You are pretty much connected to NYC. We walked everywhere from this wonderful gem. The breakfast is very substantial. Fruits and cake, cereal, milk and cookies. Shawn helped us in getting tickets for Fela! at the very last minute and told us to get there using the subway. Very very helpful staff. They opened the business center early for me as I was up. I would stay here again. Our room overlooked the street, we asked for that room. Very clean and big comfortable towels. The bathroom has a gorgeous poster of Rock Hudson. I stayed with my husband and noticed many couples. This hotel caters to all. The staff is excellent. If he did not know something, Shawn would research it and come back with a detailed report on how to get there and what the options around the place were. Incredible. We paid $229 per night. What a great price for a great hotel. We went by Megabus so we did not need car parking. I would recommend it to adults without young kids just because parents with kids have lots of stuff they have to carry up and down. I know, we have done all that. Oh and the best thing, we came in early and they took our luggage and sent it up to the fifth floor!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

We stayed at a 1-bedroom suite at the Chelsea Pines, less than 8 blocks away from NYU. The location is fantastic with the subway stop less than 50 feet away from the doorstep. The neighborhood is very pleasant and quiet, and filled with restaurants nearby. The hotel staff did a great job accommodating our needs, providing us with helpful tips, and with dinning and shopping suggestions. They were very friendly and helpful. They made us feel at home. A vast and delicious continental breakfast was included. Rooms are cozy, decorated with taste, and furnished with a very comfortable bed. Bathrooms were remodeled and clean. We will be returning soon...

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

I've been staying at Chelsea Pines for years (decades literally.) Jay, Al and the staff treat me like family. They're always so warm and welcoming. I love the location in Chelsea and so close to the Village and all transit lines. I appreciate a hotelier who is always reinvesting to improve the property and amenities. It makes me as a client feel appreciated and that they're not just taking my money and running. That's what Jay does. Rooms, bathrooms, common areas, gardens and most recently lobby are always being upgraded. That's important. It's my home-away-from-home when in NYC.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo

Been to Chelsea Pines Inn? Share your experiences!