“Coming home to Chelsea Pines Inn” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chelsea Pines Inn

Save Saved
You added Chelsea Pines Inn to your Saves list
Chelsea Pines Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   317 West 14th Street, New York City, NY 10014 (Manhattan)   |
Announcement
Special summer sale now!
Ranked #2 of 451 hotels in New York City
Chicago, IL
“Coming home to Chelsea Pines Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

When I knew I was coming to New York in November (to attend the wedding of good friends), my first thought was to go to the Chelsea Pines website and make a reservation. Unfortunately, the website told me that there was no room at the inn, so I decided to call to see if there was something that could be worked out. Rumel answered the phone and remembered me from previous visits -- we'd had some nice chats in the cafe while he went about his work, so we'd become acquainted -- along with his colleagues, he worked out a plan for me to stay all 5 nights if I was willing to hop around a bit. At Chelsea Pines, that can be fun because each room is distinctive -- so I had 3 different experiences in one trip! (And the staff takes care of moving a guest's luggage, so I just had to pack up. No big deal.)

One of the best parts of the day is breakfast time -- the kitchen/cafe area lends itself to conversations with other guests sitting at nearby tables, and the breakfast spread itself is enormous -- nearly anything a person could think of to get a good healthy start to the day. I took advantage of the business center (located on the 2nd floor) on this trip, too -- what a handy place to check email, do some work, and print out materials.

Why anyone would go to a chain hotel in New York (or anywhere) when there are places like Chelsea Pines Inn to come home to is a mystery to me. For me, there's only Chelsea Pines.

Room Tip: If you want to work in your room, you might let them know that so you get a room with a desk area. I...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

1,405 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Breda, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

This was our 4th or 5th visit to Chelsea Pines and each time it feels like coming home!!! This must be the best place to stay in NY. The location is perfect. But this place is unique because of the warmth of Jay and his team and the atmosphere they create in this guesthouse. Jay is surrounded by the best people in the business (Troy, Al, Anna, Rumel and of course the cat Charlie!!). Every time when you come 'home' after a trip in the city it feels as if your new family is waiting for you and you can have a nice chat. They have great ideas for show tickets. We saw 'buyer and cellar' with Michael Urie (ugly betty) and the show was great!!!
Our room was a superior deluxe room on the third floor and the room was great as well. The room was clean and spacious. The breakfast is great every morning.
I have said it before and will say it again. There is no other place to stay in NY!! You must go to Chelsea Pines when you stay in NY and you want to have the best possible time.
Thank you very much and we cannot wait to return to see you all again!! Miss you already.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Anzere, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I am almost reluctant to write this rave review, for fear that the Chelsea Pines Inn will be totally booked the next time I want to stay there. I travel quite a bit in the U.S. and Europe, and have NEVER had a hotel experience comparable to the one I just had at the Chelsea Pines Inn. The rooms are comfortable, clean,, and quiet, the breakfast is copious and delicious, and most important, the people who work there are, without exception, highly professional, endlessly helpful, and quite simply, very very nice.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Erie, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

We had our favorite family getaway in NYC, and at the heart of it was Chelsea Pines Inn. What a surprise to find this sanctuary! Everyone who works at the inn is kind, knowledgeable, gracious and generous...Troy, Rumel, Anna, and all the wonderful staff. Owner Jay makes a point to meet and talk with the guests. The rooms are polished, modern, immaculate and so comfortable. The breakfast has something for everyone, with also snacks and beverages set out throughout the day...so appreciated. Outside the doorstep is an exciting area to explore, and with the subway steps away, we did not use a cab the entire time. It was wonderful to return to the warmth of a home-away-from-home at the end of the day. We will always return to Chelsea Pines when we are in NYC!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Southport, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Everyone at Chelsea Pines inn was super helpful and nice from the get-go. Louis greeted us upon check in and it was lovely to hear a familiar accent!

The location of the hotel is unbeatable, being just a 1 minute walk from the West 14th street Subway and a variety of convenience stores and restaurants within throwing distance.

Jay was lovely and offered us umbrellas to help us stay dry in the NYC drizzle. Charlie was also very hospitable, making himself at home on our bathroom floor mat and snuggling up to us one night on our bed!

The only thing I could have done without were those staircases. After a while I got used to them but my mother had more of a difficult time. These stairs are narrow and HUGE and we had to climb up 3 of them to get to our room (thank God for Louis carrying our suitcases up and down for us).

We will be back here for sure. Thank you to everyone who made us feel at home and for our Charlie mugs!! We drink out of them every morning :)

Room Tip: If you're elderly or unfit, take a lower level room!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Berkeley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

For New York, this was a good choice in many ways. We would stay here again.
The location is great because it is close to a lot of subway lines, the Highline, and the Village.
Breakfast was good, the room was better than OK (great for NYC at that price, I guess) and there is a nice relaxed vibe and very helpful service.
My only complaint is that when we arrived after a long trip we had to wait to check in for at least 10 minutes because the clerk was talking to another guest about area restaurants, etc. I felt like they were trying too hard to be uber-helpful to everyone, at the expense of just giving us the key so we could chill out.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I recently stayed at the Chelsea Pines Inn. I really recommend this hotel, from the moment we arrived and all through our stay everyone was so friendly and kind. The hotel is stylish with old movie posters throughout, each room is dedicated to a former film star. Our room was very comfortable and nicely furnished - for WiFi and telephone calls in the USA and Canada there is no charge. For breakfast there is a good choice of tasty food, fresh home baked bread each morning, and to my delight a Nesspresso coffee machine. Each evening we ate in local restaurants recommended by the hotel. The movie stars on the posters aren't the only stars at this hotel, Jay (the owner) and all his staff are also stars. By the way Jay thank you for the umbrella, I'm now back in London and needless to say it's been used quite a lot. This was the first stay at this hotel and I would certainly go back again, it's far superior to any of the chain hotels I've stayed in.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Chelsea Pines Inn? Share your experiences!