“Charm and a warm welcome, off the beaten path” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Chelsea Pines Inn

You added Chelsea Pines Inn to your Saves list
Chelsea Pines Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   317 West 14th Street, New York City, NY 10014 (Manhattan)   |
Announcement
Best 2015 rates book now!
Ranked #1 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Charm and a warm welcome, off the beaten path”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

The Chelsea Pines is a fun boutique hotel seemingly built on the bones of an old-fashioned NYC SRO. This means a solidly-built pre-war building; it also means smallish rooms (at least in the case of my single) and no elevator. The inn more than makes up for these shortcomings in furnishings, service, and amenities.

The entire hotel has an Old Hollywood theme; each room is named after a movie star and, judging from mine at least, decorated with posters from that star's movies (the Hollywood theme even extends to the hotel cat, Charlie Chaplin). My bathroom, though small, was well-appointed with large tiled shower, granite counters, and snazzy vessel sink. My bed was very comfortable, and the room was quiet even though it faced 14th St. The TV could have used an upgrade, but that's a minor quibble.

Service was excellent from check-in to check-out. Staff and owners were friendly and helpful, and seemed to be genuinely interested in making my stay enjoyable.

The inn also gets my high marks for its simple but nice breakfast. Bagels, fruit, pastries, oatmeal, and more are all available, and included with the room rate. You can eat near the serving area, in a sun room, or outdoors in a green and cozy back yard-- a very New York experience as you're surrounded by the back of neighboring buildings. Those spaces are also available just to hang out in at non-meal times.

The location is also terrific. While 14th St. is a major street, I still felt like I was in the middle of a neighborhood, not a tourist district. The staff are great at recommending restaurants and shops in the area, and several subway lines are nearby.

Because of the small rooms, I would probably not choose this to stay with my entire family on a longer trip, but for just me, it was a nice change from the chain hotels, and if I have a reason to come back I will.

Room Tip: If you don't like stairs ask for a lower floor; there's no elevator.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

If you want to feel part of NYC, stay here. It was like staying with friends of friends; nothing was too much trouble but you could feel relaxed and comfortable just going about your business. The staff were brilliant - Anna and Rumel were particularly helpful and friendly. We had a small housekeeping incident which was quickly resolved and some beautiful roses appeared in our room to make it up to us. Breakfast and snacks plus coffee and soft drinks throughout the day is a lovely idea, feels like coming home. This place is not pretentious but warm and welcoming, close to the subway, Chelsea Market and the Highline. We had a fantastic first trip to New York and would stay here again when we can next come; why wouldn't you?

Room Tip: Room 303, fronts on to 14th Street and has a little street noise but didn't disturb us. Shower a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
kent
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

Don't get me wrong.The staff were very friendly.But that doesn't make up for the quality of the hotel.
My wife and I stayed for 3 days recently. We are both 60 years old and they put us on the fourth floor and with no lift that left us exhausted. The room (Kim Novak.. All rooms are named after movie stars) had a double bed in.This took up the whole width of the room. So that I had to climb over it to get in! If I had to get up in the night to use the "small room"I had to crawl over a sleeping wife! The room was about 12 feet high with ugly pipes across the ceiling. The shower room was very small also.
The breakfast was O.K. If you like queuing up in a narrow galley. Then you had to go to a small out building to eat. If you chose to eat outside in the very pleasant out door area. You had to fight against a very heavyly sprung door that made it very hard to get out without spilling your coffee!
Lovely people as staff. But sorry it's not good enough and to expensive for more than 1 star. We paid less per night on our cruise!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
CPINY, Owner at Chelsea Pines Inn, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
We received this review with great concern. The guests booked a single room on the fourth or fifth level of a five-story walkup building through a third-party website, booking.com, which clearly provides the details of a single room type. They never advised us of their unhappiness or disappointment during their stay. Had we known of their discomfort, we would have made every effort to move them to a larger room on a lower floor at no additional cost. This is our policy whenever availability offers this option.

We have written directly to these guests to express our concern regarding their stay.
Jay Lesiger
Owner, Chelsea Pines Inn
jlesiger@chelseapinesinn.com
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Just returned June 7 from spending 10 lovely days at the Chelsea Pines Inn. We can't begin to say enough about everything: all the boxes ticked above deserve a "superior" or "gold medal!" We have rated the "restaurant" because even though it is limited to a superb breakfast and tasty snacks during the day, it doesn't serve lunch (who could eat lunch after the sumptious breakfast?!) or dinner. The staff, from top to bottom, are the most friendly, efficient and helpful that anyone could ask for: whether it was helping with reservations or helping us get our iPad working, they were spot on! Breakfast in the garden each morning was a treat and looked forward to each day. Thanks, Jay and crew for making our NYC visit so memorable. We plan to return!!!

Room Tip: Third floor suite is great! Quiet; bright; comfortable beds; luxurious bath towels; two TV's...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I won't do a long review of this wonderful hotel, as I have already reviewed it twice (and you can look at those reviews). But, I will say that my husband and I have begun to look at Chelsea Pines Inn and Jay, Troy, Al, Rumel, and everyone there, as family. It is truly like going back home when we visit. We encourage anyone who will be visiting New York to stay at the Chelsea Pines Inn where you are treated like family and everyone is ALWAYS happy to see you. Miss you guys -- can't wait to see you in December.

Room Tip: As the rooms all have movie star themes, think of you favorite old movie star, Debbie Reynolds, Mitz...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

My husband Scott and I stayed at the fabulous Chelsea Pines for 8 nights in May 2013. We were so incredibly fortunate that our very first experience of NY was at Chelsea Pines, as it is a lovely hotel full of the most genuine people. Everything that has already been said on TripAdvisor is true - spotlessly clean, the rooms are a great size, luxe Gilchrist & Soames amenities, comfy beds, very tasty breakfast, Charlie is the sweetest little fluff ball and I swear there must be some kind of super-duper soundproofing going on because we never heard a thing at night (we had a room on the fourth floor facing the garden). The location was also fantastic - right at a sort of apex between the Meatpacking, Chelsea and West Village areas so we really felt as if we got to experience just the tiniest bit of real New York life - we briefly walked up to Midtown on the way to Broadway one day, where most NY hotels are located, and found the whole area frankly gross and devoid of any kind of 'neighbourhood' feel. From the moment Daniel greeted us two wide-eyed space cadets just off a 24 hour flight, through to Anna's helpfulness when booking comedy gigs, to casually chatting with Jay at the desk (and being relieved to find someone who got our sarcastic Australian sense of humour!) it was an absolute delight. There were also a couple of other staff members whose names have escaped me but who were equally delightful. It's also rare to find in a personalised, smaller hotel staff who really know when you are up for a big chat and when you would rather just flop silently up to your room, and all the staff at Chelsea Pines are very acutely attuned to this. We can't wait to go back some day, probably older, definitely fatter, and reminisce about our first time in NY as bright and excited young things thrilled to stay at such a great hotel and buzzing area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Whitney Point, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Both my sister and I had the BEST time at this inn. Warm, caring, thoughtful, friendly, charming, manicured, tasteful, artistic and enchanting are just a few of the words I would use to describe my very comfortable stay in this space.

The staff there is fabulous.

Class, consideration, and even a loaner umbrella were all made available to us. Breakfast (included) the next day out back in their glassy courtyard was just the touch to start the day, and snacks on hand 24/7? Ah, who doesn't love that?

Our room was everything I hoped the City would bring to it: thoughtfulness, warmth, and individuality.

Hands down, my time in this inn was the best part of the entire NYC trip, which had such grand moments and small charms.

William Masswa,
TOUGHSKINS author
boldstrokesbooks.com

Room Tip: Walk up. It's worth the easy exercise. That, and you can experience even more of the ambiance of...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Chelsea Pines Inn? Share your experiences!