“My Hotel of Choice in NYC - A great location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chelsea Pines Inn

Save Saved
You added Chelsea Pines Inn to your Saves list
Chelsea Pines Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   317 West 14th Street, New York City, NY 10014 (Manhattan)   |
Announcement
Book direct and save!
Ranked #1 of 453 Hotels in New York City
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“My Hotel of Choice in NYC - A great location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

The Chelsea Pines Inn on 14th street is now my hotel of choice when I am in NYC. It offers friendly service, affordable clean rooms and easy access to all NYC subway lines.

The Chelsea neighborhood is right outside your door. The High Line, Chelsea Market, lots of shopping and the Apple Store are right around the corner.

Each room is named after a famous actor or actress and are decorated with artwork from award winning movies. So be prepared to take a trip down memory lane.

Room Tip: Each room is different, so be sure to let them know your preferences.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I can't say enough good things about this place. My wife and I are fairly frequent travelers to NYC and usually stay in one of the block-away-from-Times-Square hotels. This time we had looked on various websites (including our favorite... TripAdvisor!) and came up with Chelsea Pines Inn. I must say it even exceeded our expectations. First the good... Let's start with the EXTREMELY friendly & helpful staff (sometimes very difficult to find in NYC). They were SO friendly, so full of advice on off-the-beaten(tourist)-path things to do & see. Not expecting anything, we casually mentioned that we were there for our 5th wedding anniversary and so the owner helped us put our bags in the room then gave us a "tour" of the amenities. I noticed it seemed to take a few minutes longer than it should, but when we got back to the room, I realized why... he had had one of the staff run down the street and grab a dozen roses and put them in our room between when we had dropped off our bags and when we got back from our "tour". The continental breakfast was officially over when we arrived, but since we were starving, he also had the staff whip out a few of the items that had been left over and we had a wonderful complimentary breakfast that they completely didn't have to do. Speaking of the breakfast, it is free & amazing! The owner (Jay) makes fresh bread every night. We were joking with him about it and he told us what all kinds he made. My wife mentioned that Banana Nut Bread was one of her favorites and the next morning the bread-of-the-day was Banana Nut Bread ala Lynn (my wife's name)! Each morning, in addition to the wonderful complimentary breakfast, you receive a daily "newletter" with weather, things going on in the City that day and suggested things to do or see.

The hotel only has 23 rooms, so it is small, but has the feel as close to a bed & breakfast as you can come to in the City. It is located in the Chelsea area, which is actually one of our favorites due to its closeness to Greenwich Village, Soho, China Town, Little Italy, etc. However, and this was also one of the best parts, there is a subway station a half block from the hotel that literally connects to all 4 of the major subway lines through the City. It is one of the A/C/E line connections, but via the L line, it is only 2 subway stops away from the station at 14th and Union Square, where you can connect to the R or the 4/5/6 lines and only one stop in the other direction from a connection to the 1/2/3 line. In fact the last day that we were there, we went from our hotel to Battery Park via subway, from there to Wall Street, from there to China Town, from there to Grand Central Terminal, from there to Times Square, and from there back to within a half-block of our hotel all without having to walk any more than the half block to and from the subway station on our hotel block!! I will also say that our room was very spacious, although it is my understanding that they have different sized rooms and that some are much smaller than the one we had.

I could go on & on about the good things about this place. The only downsides... 1) if you prefer a high-end, everything on-site (restaurant/bar/shops) then this is not for you, 2) if you really want to stay near midtown or Wall Street, then there would be better choices (although with the subway line so close, midtown was VERY close via subway, and finally 3) if you are one of those snobby people that are turned off by a bed & breakfast feel where people actually might talk to you while you are eating breakfast or reading the paper, then this is not for you. Other than those things, I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't enjoy the Chelsea Pines Inn.

Great job Jay, Tom, Troy, Rumel, Sadeke, etc.! You guys rock!!

Room Tip: Ask about room sizes and location within the building as it does matter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
geneva new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I returned to the Chelsea PInes Inn for a two night stay about a month after I had spent two full weeks there for school business.
When I checked in, I felt as though I was walking through the doors of my parents house! The staff was thrilled to see me again, remembered everything about me and offered me such a warm welcome. I got to Chelsea PInes hours before check in, and it was no problem.. The kept my bags in a secured area and even tho I wasnt officially their guest yet, they offered me their awesome breakfast and hot coffee, which was perfect on a rainy morning! The cutest breakfast area offering fresh bagels and muffins the size of my head! fresh fruit, a variety of cereal and it even had an English flair with fresh cold cuts, and olives.... regular coffee? yup.... Expresso? you bet.... what more can you ask for?
When I returned for check in, my bags were already in my movie star themed room which was absolutey spotless... the bathroom? Pristene....
The building is secured, and traveling alone, that was comforting. Every Morning when you wake up, there is a daily bulletin under your door with the weather for the day, the fresh muffin or bread of the day and a whole list of things to do and see in and around the Chelsea Pines area.
I travel to NYC 4-6 times per year and I have always stayed up around W. 66th near Lincoln Center because I thought that's where the action was.... Boy was I wrong!
Chelsea Pines is THE place to be! There is a sub way entrance about 100 yards from CPI, the restaurants (La carbonara my fav) is right down the street, the sky line is practically outside the door and the arts and culture beat up town hands down!
Kudos to the staff at Chelsea PInes Inn..... My new family!
I won't stay any place else.... The big city for sure, but with the small town touches which makes the stay just perfect!
Be sure to bring a toy for Charlie the cat! He rocks too!!!!!!

Room Tip: Any room is a good room.... They are all full of charm!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Florianopolis, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I spent a lovely week at Chelsea Pines Inn! The staff is very friendly and helpful, they do make us feel at home. I arrived many hours before my check-in time, and Anna, an adorable person who works at the front desk, welcomed me with her beautiful smile, offered me breakfast and gave me lots of suggestions of what I could visit in NYC. Breakfast is delicious, the rooms and shared areas are super clean, the room was quiet, the hotel is in walking distance to reach Times Square and many other attractions, and for those who don't like walking there's a subway station some 40 meters from the hotel, just on the corner. Because they were celebrating their 25th anniversary, I received a special gift when I checked out. Just a note: there are stairs, so this is not a proper place for wheelchair users. Apart from that, simply enjoy the facilities and feel very welcome by the staff!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Well what a great experience this was....from the time we arrived to the time we left, everyone at CPI were the utmost gracious hosts you could ever ask for...the entire staff is so darn friendly and accomodating to whatever your needs would be to make your stay a most relaxing time while visiting the B.A. You never have to worry about cleanliness as it is SPIC & SPAN to the max.....and the layout they do for breakfast is more than you can ask for....everything is delivered fresh every morning ( i know this because i am a smoker and they would be delivering very early in the am while i was out front doing that nasty habit of mine) anyways, as guests would leave and the staff were getting the rooms ready for another potential visitor, i peeked my head in to view them.....from what i had seen, every room is unique in itself.....we stayed on the 5th fl...in Rock Hudson's room.....very very nice.....also nearby is a cvs... a grocery mart....liquor store....flowers....and many many great restaurants to choose from...all in all you will love it at CPI!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We love the Chelsea area, and always seem to stay here when we're in New York. This was our first time at the Chelsea PInes. As far as convenience, it couldn't have been easier...there is a parking garage on the same block where we deposited our car, and a subway stop on the corner. We were in town for the US Open, so we took the train to Queens every day, and used it to explore a little more of the city than we're used to seeing. We bought a week pass for under $30 each, and when we checked out we gave it to the front dest to give to another traveler since it was good for another couple of days. We tried to check in early, but our room wasn't ready, so we had lunch and came back. An added bonus was that they put our bags in the room for us (it is a walk up) so I didn't have to lug my suitcase up the stairs. The room was tiny, but fine for the amount of time that we spent in it. The breakfast area was nice, and the breakfast was better than most...fresh baked goods, fresh fruit, etc. Service was wonderful, especially liked meeting Jay, the owner, and Jubel at the front desk was great and very helpful. Charlie, the cat, was wonderfully stand-offish, as cats are, and reminded me of my cats at home. We look forward to staying at Chelsea Pines again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

For so many reasons, this is THE place to stay in New York City. In short, the staff are top-notch and friendly; service is above and beyond; breakfast and snacks are excellent; rooms are very clean and tasteful; the sunroom and garden are a nice addition; and the location is perfect with 1-block access to the subway and within walking distance so many of the cool spots and must-sees in NYC.

Upon arrival we were greeted by Jay, the charming and super personable owner. On top of the wonderful welcome, he informed us that he automatically upgraded us to a larger room (the Anne Margaret room). My boyfriend and I visited in early February from Austin, so it was the low season. We arrived a little after they were serving breakfast but they immediately put everything out again. I was craving the best NY bagel and we got it at Chelsea Pines Inn.

We were upgraded to another room (Lee Remmick room had an extra day bed) for the rest of our stay without extra charge, after I informed them that a friend was going to stay with us for one night. Jay really went above and beyond because he did not have to do that.

After staying out late the first night, we were elated to see Charlie Chaplin, the cute cat with a mustache! On top of that, it was great that we still had access to drinks and snacks after getting in late. We ate our breakfast the next morning outside in the garden in the snow!

This place really is home away from home. Stay here and easily fall in love with NYC.

PS. If you like singing in the shower, the bathrooms here have great acoustics. :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Chelsea Pines Inn? Share your experiences!