“Unique hotel in the heart of Chelsea.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chelsea Pines Inn

Save Saved
You added Chelsea Pines Inn to your Saves list
Chelsea Pines Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   317 West 14th Street, New York City, NY 10014 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #2 of 449 hotels in New York City
Denver, CO, USA
“Unique hotel in the heart of Chelsea.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Just returned after a week in New York with my fiancee. We stayed at Chelsea Pines Inn and would highly recommend to anyone. Best location ever - 15 minutes away from any major point of interest and a walking distance from the best restaurants of Greenwich Village, Chelsea and TriBeCa. Clean comfortable rooms, great service and an amazing personal touch. We woke up to the smell of Jay's home made bread ( he can make your favorite if you ask him politely), had breakfast on the glass covered patio reading the daily newsletter (weather, events and places to visit today) and then took off for the day of fun in the Big Apple. Coming back late you can always warm up with a cup of fresh coffee or apple cider and a dessert. Fresh roses in the room, help with planning your sightseeing, it was so comfortable. Coming back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

1,386 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We had stayed before in some of the big name midtown hotels in New York and this time decided to try something smaller in the Chelsea/Greenwich Village district. We picked this one based on Tripadvisor reviews. It was a very good choice. The rooms are very compact but nicely fitted and we never felt cramped. There is a good buffet breakfast. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. The location is excellent with so many restaurants and shops in the immediate area. It is also convenient for the lovely High Line park (created on a disused elevated railway track) and the beautiful park than runs along the Hudson river right down to the old World Trade Center site. We definately preferred this to the more impersonal gigantic hotels we had stayed in before.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I'm back from my trip in NY and I can't express all satisfaction that I'm having after stay at Chelsea Pines. Before my check-in was delivered some stuff that I bought on internet and they stored with no problems. When I arrived (6 AM) was too early so I used their WiFi and had breakfast, wow, I hope that was the best that I ever had in the US, and here I want to congratulate the boy that takes care of the breakfast, very kind and always checking if everything was OK. Talking about the staff, another great person is Daniel, that was every night on the front desk, I spend some good minutes talking with him.
Overall, excellent option to stay in NY, certainly I’ll be back when have chance to come back to the city. Just to finish, it's very close to the subway, great to move around the city.
Thank you Mr. Al, Daniel and all staff.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Indianapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Just returned from 3 nights in NYC and my first stay at Chelsea Pines Inn. I travel to the city quite often and usually try a new hotel with each visit. After reading several positive reviews on line, I decided to give Chelsea Pines Inn a try. I concur -- what a wonderful little spot!

I decided to pay a little extra and get a one bedroom suite and am glad I did. The room had a separate bedroom and cozy living room area. Yes, the living area was tight, but it did fit a day bed, chair, and also had a sink and fridge. I could have used a bit more soft lighting, but that was a very minor issue (track lighting in the room sufficed).

The bathroom was spacious and very well done -- all marble, huge walk-in shower, double sinks. It had pocket doors that accessed both the living room and the bedroom.

The bedroom itself was small -- bed and desk -- but it also had a flat screen TV and the bed was quite comfortable. I prefer a softer pillow, but again, I actually had some of the best nights sleep I've ever had in NYC! My room was on the 5th floor so my only caution is, if you don't want to climb steps, ask for a room on a lower floor. I admit, it was a haul to go up 4 flights, but it was also an adventure and I enjoyed the exercise.

The Inn itself is incredibly quaint. The kitchen area is wonderful --small tables along one wall and additional tables in an atrium off the back. Just lovely. In warmer months, there is also a wonderful courtyard out back (too cold to enjoy this time of year). The breakfast options were great if you're not looking for hot foods such as eggs, bacon, etc. There was an array of breads, bagels, oatmeal, cereal, muffins, fruit, cheeses, meats, juices, coffees and milk. And, the kitchen stays open until 11pm with coffee, teas, cookies, etc. A real treat!

The staff at the hotel couldn't have been nicer and the area is great. Right out the front door and just a 1/2 block down 14th street is the lively Meatpackng District, Chelsea Market, the West Village and oodles of shops and restaurants. This was why I booked Chelsea Pines, as I have a daughter who lives in the West Village. I walked to and from her apartment every day and night and the area is incredibly safe and always filled with people.

While 14th street is a very busy street, I will say my room was incredibly quiet. With the exception of a few sirens, I never heard street noise at night, despite the fact that my room faced 14th. Perhaps it was because I was on the 5th floor, but i was pleasantly surprised at how quiet the room was at night.

I would highly recommend Chelsea Pines Inn for anyone wanting safe, comfortable, unique accommodations in this part of town. While it doesn't have the amenities of a standard hotel, I prefer a place with character anyway. This place has it in spades!

Room Tip: I had room 501. It's a haul up the steps but a nice room. I believe there are other 1 bedroom...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I would like to repeat all other reviews by saying what a pleasure it was to stay at CPI. All the staff were helpful, warm and friendly. Always available to give advice.
Even before we left for NY, CPI communicated via email and answered all my many questions very quickly.
We had the one bedroom Leslie Caron suite on the 5th floor. The room was clean, tidy and interesting, with a large shower, twin sinks basins, Coffee maker, a sink and a fridge. Enough room for 3 people.
Although there are many steps up to the room, we had no problems, it helped burn off all the excess calories. (You don't need to be an Olympic athlete to walk to the top floor.)
We stayed over the New Year holidays to celebrate two special occassions. Our son's 16th birthday and our New Years Eve wedding at the TotR.
On our arrival CPI provided a lovely, large bouquet of flowers and also scattered red rose petales on the bed along with a box of chocolates.
Breakfast was delicious and plentiful. An assortment of cakes and drinks were available throughout the day, which was appreciated after a long day sightseeing.
Each morning a news letter was placed under the door, providing tips of things to do.
This was most definitely a Home from Home.
CPI is in the perfect location for Chelsea, Greenwich and the meatpacking districts, only a stones throw from the well serviced subway.
It was a great experience staying at CPI and one we hope to repeat very soon. All the staff gave that little bit extra and left us with some lasting memories.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

So chuffed by this hotel. Bed is comfortable and the breakfast is outstanding. Location is ideal for the Highline, Meatpacking District, Greenwich Village and Chelsea, also the rest of the City is only a stones throw away via the Subway which is a minute walk from the hotel front door. The only place we'll stay in NYC. Charlie ,the resident cat is delightful. The staff go above and beyond to make sure every guest has a fantastic stay and a great time in New York, with a daily newsletter and restaurant and entertainment. The owners/ manager who run this hotel go the extra mile to make you feel welcome and will help you with reservations, tickets to shows, etc. I’ll be back !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Like the previous reviewer I chose the Inn based on the feedback on Tripadvisor combined with the information from the website.
I have to say that the stay was absolutely fantastic in a one bed suite on the third floor which was scrupulously clean, well appointed and a real home from home. We really had loads of space and the breakfast is the perfect start to a very busy day whether it be shopping or sightseeing with bagels, croissants etc.
The team in the Inn do absolutely everything in their power to make the stay as comfortable as possible and from the moment we checked in to our checkout yesterday we felt like we were in someone's home rather than a hotel in one of the busiest cities in the world. Whether it be information or actually booking tickets for shows the team make life stress free so thanks to Troy and everyone else for all the help.
In terms of location it is spot on being easily accessible for Greenwich Village, East and West Villages, Chinatown, Little Italy, Soho all which can be walked to and we even did Macy's on 34th by foot in 20 mins.
There are loads of good restaurants in the local area which the team will help with and we had a great night spent in a local bar finishing off with Tacos and Quesidillas from a Mexican Street food truck which parks near west 14th and 8th.
If like my wife and I you want a real taste of New York away from the tourist traps uptown and the anonymous 'chain' hotels you must stay here.
We will definitely stay here again on our next trip and can't wait.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Chelsea Pines Inn? Share your experiences!