“Better service than at a hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of East Village Bed and Coffee

We can't find prices for this accommodation
East Village Bed and Coffee
110 Ave. C, New York City, NY 10009 (East Village)   |
Ranked #31 of 97 New York City B&B and Inns
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Better service than at a hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

A very positive surprise to me, especially when reading some of the reviews here. Travelling on my own for a couple of days in NY, this place was just perfect. I loved the room because for the first time for very long, I had a quiet room, where sleep quality was excellent. I travel frequently with work and stay at 4 and 5 star hotels but I have usually huge problems with noisy and complicated heating systems that wake you up during the night. My room was a little cold though, but the owner arranged an extra radiator that worked just perfect. The kitchen facility was also great when you are on your own and when you perhaps do not want to eat all meals out at a restaurant. There are plenty of places to take out food around and you can get many things at the supermarket opposite as well. I had the Afghan room, which faces the back yard. That is probably also a reason why it is quiet. The room would definitely be too small for two people though. The location is a bit far away from the subway station but bus 14D runs every 6-7 min about 200 min away that quickly takes you to the subway station. The shared bathrooms are of course the biggest minus but if you don't want that, you should not book this place from the beginning.

Room Tip: The Afghan room is quiet. Would be too small for two people though.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

275 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Bridgewater, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Comfortable B&B style accommodations with shared bathrooms and kitchens. The rooms are small and require stairs to access. The atmosphere is a little funky, very friendly and helpful.. We were provided with membership passes to MoMA that saved us $100.00 in admission fees.
Internet access provided and on street parking was easy to find.Lots of bars and restaurants in easy walking distance.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second level may be a little quieter.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

I stayed here because a friend told me it was a bargain. It is in a decent location, and I never felt unsafe. That said, it's not very close to the subway (15 minute walk, which is too far in January). Three of us stayed in the Afghan Room -- I was on an air mattress. The toilet seat in the bathroom was broken, and despite mentioning it twice, it was never fixed. The hot water in the bathroom sink did not work. And when we checked out, they charged us an extra person fee AND a fee for the air mattress. It seemed a little dishonest. We could have stayed at the Inter-Continental for $20 more than we paid for this place, which is little more than a hostel. However, if you're in NYC, you should be spending much time in your room, so when hotel rates skyrocket in the summer, this might be an affordable option.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

We stayed at EVBC last June and had a great time, and found Anne to be responsive and friendly enough, and had recommended it to many others during the year--but our stay last weekend was really not so good. The service and facilities in general were off-putting. The first issue was the smell: the entire place smelled of exterminator's fluid, from the entrance to all over the second floor. The second big issue was the second floor bathroom: it was less than 20 degrees outside, the bathroom was freezing (perhaps the window needs replacing?), and there was NO HOT WATER in the second floor bathroom sink. There are righteous comments about EVBC's being green, so perhaps that is the source of it, but at any rate, not good. Then, most frustratingly, the toilet seat had been put on incorrectly, so everytime a person sat on it, it simultaneoulsy slipped to the side and the cover banged down on the person's back. When we told Anne about the toilet seat attacking our backs the next morning--while workmen with tools were actually milling around the office--she dismissively said, "We have other bigger things going on--I'm finally getting my new kitchen." And yes, apparently that was a much more pressing project for the workmen, because the seat was not fixed then or the next day or the next. That's mystifying--it would have taken 5 minutes and a screwdriver to fix, and no effort to address our comment politely. WTH, hearty congrats on getting your new kitchen, but why would it eclipse paying guests' concerns about getting bruised backs? I get it that it's in the city, so it needs to be fumigated sometimes, and that the rooms are small and simple, and that old buildings are hard to heat, but the surliness of the owner makes this a Do Not Return. It was overpriced for the level of inconvenience (far from subway, subpar bathrooms, booked room switched to another with no explanation) and inconsistent / surly service. With what we paid in extra person fees, it was no bargain. We would have been much better off finding a proper hotel room. But best of luck getting the issues ironed out-- the place can be fine when things are running well and the owner is in a pleasant mood.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

GREAT NEIGHBORHOOD! I lived in Alphabet City for 15 years and almost rented this apt building with 3 potential roommates in 1995. It simply doesn't get any more authentic and flavorful than this part of the East Village!

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
St. Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

This was my second time staying at East Village Bed & Coffee with my first stay being over five years ago! Throughly enjoyed my stay and chatting with Anne! It was my sister's first trip to New York City and she loved it! Three of us shared the French Room. We never had to wait over a couple minutes for the bathroom. If the bathroooms on your floor are occupied, there is a brand new bathroom on the first floor. Everything was very clean! Loved having the kitchen so we could fix a quick breakfast each morning. We also enjoyed talking with other guests in the kitchen each day. There are lots of reasonable restaurants in the area. The first night, my sister and daughter were delayed so I hung around the East Village area and had dinner. I would stay here again!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

I have this hate love relationship with EVB&C every time I swear I would not go back I end up going back. Location is excellent, Anne is a friendly host and the java rocks.
The french room I believe is one of the biggest ones, plenty of room and a nice chair to sit and
relax. Downside the mattress is super lumpy and Anne if you read this please get a new mattress
for that room. Also no black out curtains, so when the sun comes up it get's pretty bright pretty quick which is somewhat of a drag if u go to bed at 3 am.
Excellent restaurant choices within short walking distance.

Room Tip: every room is very different, read the reviews to find what you think is going to suit you best.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Been to East Village Bed and Coffee? Share your experiences!