“Nice staff but difficult to sleep due to glass french doors and noise” 2 of 5 stars
Review of East Village Bed and Coffee

We can't find prices for this accommodation
East Village Bed and Coffee
110 Ave. C, New York City, NY 10009 (East Village)   |
Chicago, Illinois
“Nice staff but difficult to sleep due to glass french doors and noise”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I feel bad giving the East Village Bed and Coffee a poor review because the staff were all very kind and we met some nice people, however, we stayed in the black and white room not realizing there was not a proper door separating the bedroom and the common area. It was my unfortunate bad luck that we needed two beds. I believe this is the only room in the bed and coffee that has two beds, however, it's also the only room that has glass french doors instead of proper wooden doors. I had difficulty sleeping even after going to the pharmacy and picking up some sleeping pills (and picking up an eye mask as well) because I could see the light shining through whenever someone went into the common area outside the bedroom. It felt more like dressing room doors. Being glass, the doors also did not keep out the noise in the common area or of the people coming and going, banging things in the kitchen early in the morning, or turning on the TV just outside of the bedroom. Although the french doors look nice in our pictures, I just don't feel it is appropriate for a bedroom in a shared living setting. I didn't have a good sleep because of it and neither did the person I was travelling with. The way the locks are set up on these doors also seems less than what I would expect in a hotel room (or bed and breakfast) door. We didn't feel safe keeping our money in the room and there was no safe in the room, though we heard from someone else staying there that there was a shared safe we could ask our money to be stored in. We didn't feel comfortable with this because we wanted to be able to access it ourselves at all times, but we would have felt comfortable leaving some money in the room if there were proper wooden doors, like on the other rooms. Although it is a reasonable price for a room in New York City, I personally will not be going back to the East Village Bed and Coffee because of this serious oversight. If you can sleep through anything and feel safe with the lock situation or aren't bringing any valuables, this would probably be an economical place to stay.

Room Tip: Don't choose the black and white room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

272 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Gilbertsville, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I was lucky enough to get a big room (the Black and White room) in this friendly bed and (well, get your own breakfast). Each floor has a kitchen and sitting space with television, wifi, and Mac computers. Only downside I can see is shared bathrooms and possibly a long climb with a heavy suitcase. However, if these are not a concern, I recommend this highly. Lots of eating and drinking choices and a supermarket right across the road; plus street parking and a lovely park full of happy dogs and people.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Darwin, Northern Territory
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

East Village Bed and Coffee is located in a lovely neighborhood and has restaurants, grocery stores and laundry places conveniently close by.It's about a 10 minute walk to the closest subway stations (there are three lines that have stops in walking distance) and there is a bus stop right outside.

Anne is lovely and Mango the dog was super friendly. The bed was very comfortable and although there is only one bathroom on each floor in my experience you never have to wait more than a few minutes for one to be free.

There is wifi and also a computer and printer for use. I didn't need to use the kitchen or lounge facilities during my stay but it seemed like everything you might need was there.

Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for a few nights in the Flight room, before moving into the black & white room when my friend arrived. Check in was easy - Anne was lovely, showed me around the B&C, as well as pointing out the binders of restaurants & bars she has put together.
Both rooms were on the 3rd floor, Anne helped me with getting my bags upstairs so wasn't too much of an issue (but be aware there is no lift if that's your thing)
Shared bathrooms may not be for everyone, but it was fine with me. There was only a couple of times during my 9 night stay I had to wait (but couldn't gone downstairs if I was in a rush)
As there was so much I wanted to do in NY, I didn't actually spend that much time there outside of sleeping & getting ready to head out.
As far as location goes, it was perfect for my needs. I've been to NY a few times already, and wanted to hang out around the village more than do any of the touristy things. Subways were maybe a 10 min walk both North & South West - and it's a safe area so walking alone wasn't an issue. It's slightly out of the EV itself, but was only a 5-10 min walk to St Marc's place.
Note if you are trying to get a cab from the hotel going Any other direction than south (it's weird calling it that, as its more of a B&B), don't bother between 4&5pm - it's taxi cross over time.
Towels, facewashers, linen, hair dryers, draws / hangers, microwave, kettle, fridge & freezer, free wifi & a computer / printer all provided. FYI - The beds are extremely soft!
This is a great little place to stay away from the hustle & bustle of tourist central, at a GREAT price for NY - not many other places in NY can give you a room with 2 doubles for $175 a night!
I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed March 2013
san francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

If you don't mind sharing a bathroom and giving up a little bit of privacy, this is the awesomest place to stay in NYC. I usually stay on the first floor in the treehouse (or something like that) when I am by myself. The other guests have always been low key and polite. The location is a little far from the train but not a bad neighborhood to walk in anymore (used to be sketchy but is trendy now). The owner is rad and everyone who works there could not be nicer.

But please don't tell anyone else. It is hard enough to get a room already.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
vancouver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Plus: it's clean, affordable, and there is a shared kitchen on each floor.Some very cool bars/restaurants within a block.
Minus: temperature at night fluctuated: one minute like a sauna, next cold. Not sure why. I think you can do much better for the price.
It's a loong way from the metro.

Incredibly dark with no natural light.
Very noisy at night: no sound proofing. If this is fine with you, you will love it.

I hated my stay there, and I travel a lot, and am very flexible.

It is described as East Village B and C : check this out on a map. It's a brisk 25 minute walk to the actual East Village.

Room Tip: Find a room with natural light - not the Treehouse, in spite of the pictures on the website. The win...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
St. Louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed here for four nights in December of 2012, and had an great experience overall. We stayed in the observatory room, and although the walls are a little thin, we were only there for maybe an hour during the mid-afternoon (to freshen up and whatnot) and to sleep, so it didn't really bother us. There is some street noise, but it didn't bother us at all- after all- you're in New York City- complaining about street noise is like complaining about overcrowded subways or cabs driving a little crazy.

I've stayed in many areas of NYC, and you can't beat the prices here... We paid under $150 a night, and feel it was well worth it.

One thing I was a little worried about was the shared bathrooms, but it turned out to be the least of our concern. I was picturing waiting on line for bathrooms and showers, but our experience couldn't have been more different. For starters, there are three bathrooms with showers, and you can use any of them. Honestly- I never once had to wait for one- we hardly saw any of the other guests at all!

We loved the location, but it's NOT Times Square people- it's definitely more of a residential area, so there's not a million places open at all hours of the night. We usually would head west (through Tomkins Square Park) and find whatever we needed within a few minutes whether it was food / drink / shopping /etc.

Anne- for the most part- was extremely helpful. She has binders of all of the food and drink within walking distance and has no problems recommending places as well. She can also give you passes to get into museums and other attractions for free. I'll admit she's a little spacey at times, but after arriving and getting our first little "tour" of the place, we didn't really need her. Honestly- we were so hungry when we got there, if anything, we wished the tour would've been shorter. Oh- and her "guard" dog is possibly the sweetest and most well-behaved dog I've ever met!

Couple of downsides: We loved the location, but it's not very close to any subway lines at all. The "L" stop on 1st avenue, "Astor Place" and "Delancey Street" stops are all about a 10-15 minute walk-- Delancey might be a little closer to 15-20... We were hoofing it most of the time anyway, but a few times on the way back to EVBC, we'd wished there was a line closer.

Also- the East Village can be a little shady after midnight... We never felt *unsafe*, but if you're a traveller with major safety hangups, or it's your first time in NYC, you may want to stay somewhere a little more busy--- like Times Square I suppose... That's not what we wanted at all, so it worked out well.

Our bed was comfortable, but the Observatory room is in serious need of some new pillows... And possibly a lock on the door.

Only other downside is that, some of the area is still being re-built after the hurricane, so there weren't as many restaurants or bars right there that are open late. Also- catching a cab right outside the place might be kind of hard in the late night hours, but we were usually catching cabs *back* there, so it was no big deal.

Overall- great place to stay if you're a "throw down your bags and hit the street" type of traveller which I am. If you plan on staying in a lot, or need TONS of amenities, you may want to check into some other areas of NYC such as midtown or SoHo.

Thanks, Anne! You were awesome!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to East Village Bed and Coffee? Share your experiences!