“What a lovely little gem of a hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Gracie Inn

Save Saved
You added The Gracie Inn to your Saves list
The Gracie Inn
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   502 East 81st Street, New York City, NY 10028 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #55 of 97 New York City B&B and Inns
East Haven, CT
“What a lovely little gem of a hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This is my favorite hotel in Manhattan! We arrived a few hours before check-in and the staff graciously allowed us to drop off our bags at the office for safekeeping until check-in time. We were happy to drop off our stuff and meet a friend for lunch. We arrived back at the hotel a few hours later, where an elevator took us to our room on the 4th floor. The room was charming, very clean and equipped with a kitchenette.

The Upper East Side is one of the safest areas in Manhattan; the restaurants in the area are very good and reasonably priced. Staying at the Gracie Inn is very much like staying in a hip New Yorker's delightful studio apartment.

Every room is equipped with a door buzzer to allow food delivery after hours. Every guest is given a room key and an outside door key, so that you can go out at night and come in on your own. Taxis are plentiful in the area.

It is a clean, comfortable, safe base in residential Manhattan. Another bonus is that they are dog friendly. I will definitely be staying here on my next trip!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

134 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Port Angeles, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

No staff response to our telephoned worry about toilet performance until toilet overflowed on bathroom floor. We had a crawling baby with us, staff tracked through mess onto floor of room. We had to stay on top of bed to not further soil floor, couldn't shower or use space. Staff never took responsibility and charged us for use after finally fixing and cleaning space. We checked out early, were to stay 5 nights. I have traveled the world and am not a picky person and this was the worst hotel I have ever experienced.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
dsasse, General Manager at The Gracie Inn, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
We feel bad that this guest did not leave any happier than she was when she arrived. I believe she was with her daughter and granddaughter (who was an infant) the baby cried NON STOP. Several other guest shared their empathy with the staff. A crying baby can be very stressful. We suggested that she leave early and she did. The plumber looked at her toilet and found a toothbrush had fallen in. We refunded the days that she did not stay and waived the early departure fee. I do not know what else we could have done.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Hello all!
I must say that I’m so happy I came across The Gracie Inn Hotel, what a gem! The inn was very cozy and clean which is exactly what I was looking for. The staff was inviting and I felt right at home.
I was in town visiting the Hospital of Special Surgery and needed a place to say. I looked into various options but all the hotels around the hospital were very expensive. It seemed like The Gracie Inn was my best choice and after staying there, my assumptions were confirmed.
What I liked most about the Inn was the location, the staff and the rooms. The Inn is located near a lot of coffee shops, restaurants, grocery stores and the Hospital. The subway lines were walking distance too which made my commute around the city convenient. The staff was pleasant and smiley too. The rooms are very similar to the pictures I saw online so there were no surprises. I’ve included a picture of the bathroom (toiletries were included!)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

As I travel to New York City a few times a month for my job in sales, the location of the Gracie Inn is amazing; I was able to navigate to my meetings on the Upper East Side very easily, and there was also a great combination of restaurants and museums . The staff was very helpful and a few seemed to go above and beyond during my 4-day stay. They were very accommodating and allowed me to check out a few hours late after my flight was delayed. Class act! Look forward to staying again for business (or personal).

Room Tip: I stayed in the two bedroom; a friend from home who lives in the city came and stayed with me for a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Safe, clean, quiet building on a quiet street, convenient: walk to the subway, walk to the Park. Nice price, close to groceries to prepare in the kitchenette. My wife and I used to stay in a more conventional looking hotel when in New York to visit children and grandchildren. Really glad we found the Gracie Inn.

Room Tip: Call the place or e-mail inquiries direct rather than use a travel site. You will get a personal res...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Saunderstown Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I stayed at the Gracie Inn at least eight times this fall for medical and educational travel, and for this former New Yorker, it was perfect. I'd previously been staying in chain hotels, and was beginning to freaked out by the wildly fluctuating prices, flourescent lights, and waste.

What I love is that there's a fridge, micro-wave and kitchenette -- which is great for the budget concious NY traveller.

If you've lived in New York, or travelled in Europe -- I worked and lived at hostels overseas -- this hotel will suit you. The extra bonus for me is that they actually come up and serve a light breakfast on a tray -- unlike in European hotels, where you have to go down to the basement.

I like staying on the upper east side -- where I used to live -- because it is so quiet and safe.

There are two duplex suites on the top floor with wall windows overlooking the city -- a real treat. Another room I stayed in had two seperate bedrooms -- at 200 odd -- this is a huge bargain in NY, where it's hard to get a suite for under $500 a night.

There is a TV, wi-fi and in most rooms a hair dryer. They don't hike up the prices

Room Tip: Rooms in the back of the building are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Gainesville, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I'm a woman who travels by myself and am concerned about safety. The hotel was wonderful. Friendly, helpful staff, good bed, great kitchen with microwave and stove. Fixed a couple of my own meals. Grocery store around the corner. About a mile from the metro and I even felt safe walking home after the theater. I was on the ground floor in the front and it wasn't noisy. It's a little old, but charming and kept up very well. Hardwood floors a nice touch instead of questionable carpet.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Gracie Inn? Share your experiences!