“New York, New York” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham New Yorker Hotel

You added Wyndham New Yorker Hotel to your Saves list
Wyndham New Yorker Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   481 Eighth Ave, 34th St & 8th Ave, New York City, NY 10001 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #248 of 460 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Falmouth, United Kingdom
“New York, New York”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Arrived at Penn Station and the impressive towering hotel was about 1 minutes walk away. Reception staff were very friendly and helpful. We had arrived as a family myself, my wife and our two sons both in their 30's. Two double rooms had been booked in error. The hotel staff noticed this and relocated our sons to a suite with an extra single bed. The rooms were not overly big but sufficed for what we required. Comfortable beds and no noise on the 35th floor. Would recommend for a short stay.

Green Features: The hotel seemed to be very keen on promoting an environmentally friendly culture.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,379)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
sf
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Stayed in March 7th for 4 nights. Arrived after 11 pm on Saturday night, was informed they have upgraded us to the renovated room.
The room, though small, and on the lower floor, was nice and have latest amenities, from smart TV, nice interior etc. We requested a higher floor with some view to the outside :)
But knowing it was Saturday night and we checked in quite late, i buy myself time, before calling the front desk complaining about the room have no view.
The next day, we had to leave quite early for walking tour at the Central Park. But we have our luggage all packed and ready to go.
Went downstairs and was helped by a nice lady at the front desk, we asked her, if any room on the higher floor will be available we would like to move. She told us she ill try her best to accommodate us, and told us, once rooms are ready our luggage will be moved to our new room.
We came back that late afternoon to a nice room with a very big NYC poster!
Oh wait, it was the real view out of our window!!! We squealed like little kids on Christmas morning :) The lights at night from the skyscrapers enough to prevented us from stumbling to the bathroom. What a fancy nightlight :))
Thank you Wyndham New Yorker for a very considerate and understanding front desk agent! Thank you for making our stay so memorable. Namaste :)

Room Tip: Just ask nicely. We all been there and done that. If possible ask for room above 25th floor.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

In a great location, is about the best I can say about this hotel. It's kitty corner from Madison Square Garden and walking distance to Times Square and many other notable places. Despite the showy lobby, it is OLD and needs a ton of work.
Some of the rooms have been re-decorated somewhat. The first room I stayed in had 10 inches between the desk and the end of the bed, one useable wall outlet (behind the bedside table. The other two outlets were from an era I am not familiar with). The bathroom shower head sprayed water everywhere but in the stall and went from very hot to chilly every few minutes. The room was so awful, I asked for a different room the next day. The room was roomier but the bathrooms have not had anything done to them in about 40 years.
You can see from the photos: no vanity space, crappy showers, crappy towels, towel bars that haven't been removed and a hair dryer hanging in a bag on the back of the door.
Ice machines and vending machines only on every other floor - pain in the neck.
Front desk staff only moderately welcoming and helpful.
The female concierge is fantastic (yay! a bright light) but the young male concierge I dealt with late one afternoon was beyond terrible. Was on his cell phone for the first few minutes, then totally dismissed my request for any last-minute Broadway tickets like I was on the wrong planet. I went up to my room and promptly bought three tickets for a show we wanted to see. ("On the Town" which was fantastic!!)
Wi-fi speed/strength seems to vary by which section of the hotel your room is in.
I hope Wyndham sinks the kind of money into this vintage hotel that it badly needs.

Room Tip: Anything that has been updated.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I stayed at this hotel in December with a friend for our first time stay in new york. The lobby is impressive. The location is fantastic as its near times square, empire state building and central park. If you want to get around faster its right next to the subway station also. The room was a decent size. We were on the 24th floor but wouldn't want to be any lower as can be quite noisy from traffic etc but it was bearable. The facilities are basic but all we needed was there as was out alot seeing sights and shopping. Would stay here again and recommend to others. Only thing is no tea and coffee facilities. Room was clean and spacious.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Customer recommended this hotel and the location was fabulous. Macy's is one block away and it gave me an opportunity to get the exact purse I couldn't find back home. The famous B&H Photo is one block in the opposite direction and it was a great opportunity to see the store my father has been ordering cameras, lenses and supplies from for many years. An experience to be sure.

However, I'm not a fan of a Nespresso machine in my room instead of a regular coffee maker. When I wake up at 4 or 5 with work on my mind, I want coffee! The front desk was not knowledgable in using it and neither was I. So after two calls to the front desk they sent someone helpful up to show me how to use it. But I was already on the Internet streaming a German speaking man that was demonstrating its operation instructions! 6-button pushes later I had a full cup of watered-down espresso. If a regular coffeemaker was available, it would have been a perfect time for the front desk to let me know.

The slightly oversized room was a nice treat in NYC but the lack of bathroom space to even set down a blow-dryer - let anyone my makeup, toothpaste and brush - coupled with the Nespresso fiasco means I'm unlikely to stay here again.

Coffee trumps all at 4 AM when I need it!

Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

This hotel location is good. Room is clean and nice except for certain things need to be cautious when you book. Rate seems cheaper but there is hidden Facilities fee of USD$23+. Luggage storage is $2 per bag regardless of how small. There is no WiFi in lobby. Once check out, you can't use the restroom at lobby. Need card access. Don't be deceived by the Receptionist that they upgrade your room without charge. Actually is your correct selection of booking. the room there is no coffee making and hot water. No toothbrush and slippers. Heater took so long to warm the room. Receptionist forgot to give us WiFi password. We have to go down again and ask from them.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with family

Been to Wyndham New Yorker Hotel? Share your experiences!