“Wonderful Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham New Yorker Hotel

You added Wyndham New Yorker Hotel to your Saves list
Wyndham New Yorker Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   481 Eighth Ave, 34th St & 8th Ave, New York City, NY 10001 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #235 of 459 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dayton, Ohio
“Wonderful Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

We had a wonderful experience with The New Yorker. The location was great... the only down-side was that our view toward the Empire State Building was obstructed by scaffolding from where they were doing work on the building.

We had a suite, with a bedroom with 2 beds, a sitting area with a sofa and desk, and a bathroom. There were 4 of us in the room, and although it wasn't large by any means, we had enough room to walk around and keep our luggage out of the way. The bathroom was obviously old, but was clean! The housekeeping staff was great when we called to get more coffee, and later a corkscrew... and when the one of the TVs wouldn't come on in the room.

This was my first time staying in NYC, and I felt completely safe. It was reassuring to see the "suits" upon entering (I assume they were security). The attached Tick Tock Diner was a cute place to get a bite to eat, and was very reasonably priced. It was a short walk down to the drug store if you need to grab a few things, and K-mart and Macy's are a few blocks away, too.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Newyorkerhotel, Manager at Wyndham New Yorker Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Wyndham New Yorker Hotel while you were in New York City.

We appreciate your valuable business and the positive review. We apologize the scaffolding in on one side of the hotel obstructed your view. I am delighted to read you had a enjoyable time and the staff provided a level of service that is expected.

We look forward to your return to the Wyndham New Yorker Hotel when you travels find you back in New York City.

Wyndham New Yorker Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,305)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

I'm a frequent traveler and trip advisor reader, so am very confused as to how this property has managed 4 stars. I gave 2 stars for location (next door to Penn Station, can't be beat for train commuters). I would give another 1/2 star for the pleasant receptionist and house keeper. Other than that, rooms are noticeably old, tiny and not the cleanest. I also did not get the "above and beyond" vibe from staff. I saw a man with a name tag talking on his cell phone on the lower level. I politely interrupted to ask a brief question, he advised me he worked at the hotel, but at the concierge desk (apparently that means my trivial question was beneath him). He did give me a slighlty rude reply and continued his phone conversation. Message to employees, if you don't want to help customers, at least remove your name tag. For the room, I was on the 23rd floor, which I read was renovated, but not clear what that means. Maybe the carpet was replaced and new bed sheets? The walls had stains and several layers of paint on the moulding in the room. Thank goodness for white bedsheets, no noticeable stains seen, so at least I could sleep without great fear of what lies beneath. The bathroom fixtures were rusted and several pieces of hair were on the towels and dingy shower curtain. Bathrooms also have historic built in towel and toilet paper holders. Those are no longer used and have managed to accumulate crust and dirt that is overlooked by housekeeping. For the quality of room save yourself $100 or so per night and stay at the lower rated Hotel Pennsylvania on the other side of Penn Station. It's also not the lap of luxury, but was at least clean and more spacious. Or if you want clean, nice, and can pay a little more, Grand Hyatt also a good choice.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Newyorkerhotel, Manager at Wyndham New Yorker Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Please accept our apologies for the lack of service your received from the concierge as well as the room condition you were provided.

I would like to discuss your stay further with but I do not have your contact information, if you can contact me directly at 646-572-1213 or you may email me at brauch@nyhotel.com.

I look forward to speaking with you.

El Paso, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

I purchased my room for seven days through expedia.com. The room was small but sufficient ecspecially since we truely only slept there. It was obvious that those who used a discount service was placed on the 36th floor and all others were placed in the renovated rooms on floors 20-30. There was no refridgerater or microwave and the rooms had a smell, maybe an old food smell from its restaurant downstairs. This restaurant, the Tick Tock had a very affordable and tastey breakfast.

Room Tip: Very short walk to the Empire State Building and everything tourist want to see. Penn Station is ri...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Please accept my apologies the room did not have the amenities you were expecting. The hotel does not provide microwaves and refrigerators are available to guests upon request. Please also accept my apologies for the smell of the room you were provided. I expect you spoke with the front desk to change rooms.

I would like to discuss your stay with you further but do not have your contact information. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 646-572-1213 or you may email me at brauch@nyhotel.com.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Stayed in this hotel for 5 days in June 2014. After previously staying in 2 other 3 star hotels that were very basic, we were greatly surprised with this hotel. It is located around the corner from the Empire State Building, the lobby area was very welcoming, large & impressive. Our room was located on the 36th floor, we had a fabulous view of the Chrysler Building. The room was decorated tastefully with a comfy double bed, nice bathroom, plenty of wardrobe space & a 32'' flat screen tv with plenty of channels. The hotel had a great bar & diner attached to it. You couldnt ask for a better hotel for that price. Highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We understand your time is valuable, we appreciate the positive feedback regarding your stay and for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

We look forward to your return visit to the Wyndham New Yorker hotel if your travels find you back to New York City.

Creighton, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

Nice lobby. Fast elevators. Tiny rooms. Old bathrooms! Ours had a great view of the Empire State Building but, the toilet had issues (they did check it right away and it worked okay for the week) We were going to move but when we saw the new room was facing a brick wall, we opted to stay in our room with a great view. The bed seems smaller than a queen. There is no Keurig coffee maker as the website stated. There is no free channels - no HBO. We did have free WiFi but you have to keep connecting every 12 hours atleast. The room was only used for sleeping so it was fine...just a lot smaller than the photos make it look. You barely have room to walk around your bed and the closet is so tiny. The Tick Toc diner next door is great - we ate there twice for late night food. It is in a nice location. You have access to 7-11 snacks right across the street. The windows are not sound proof so you hear a lot of noise but we were tired and able to sleep. Bathrooms -- super tiny! Old bathtubs and shower faucets from the 50's. The water was scalding hot if you don't get it adjusted perfectly! THEY NEED TO UPDATE ALL THE BATHROOMS AND MAKE THE ROOMS INTO SUITES SO THEY ARE BIGGER....OR REMODEL. It served the main purpose...we had a clean place to sleep everynight and it was convenient! I got the room on Priceline for $191 a night -- cheap for NYC!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Please accept my apologies the expected amenities were not in your room. A coffee maker is available upon request in most of our rooms (our suites and new Executive floor's have the coffee makers in the rooms). Please also accept my apologies for the condition of the bathroom within the room you were provided.

I would like to discuss your stay with you further but do not have your contact information, please contact me directly at 646-572-1213 or by emailing me at brauch@nyhotel.com so I can find out further information.

Winnipeg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

Initially told upon checkin that it was our anniversary and not sure if they do anything for that. Maybe an upgrade or something? The receptionist was very nice and said they would send something up to our room very soon. We stayed 3 nights... Nothing ever came!The room was so tiny. We were not in a renovated room. The closet was too small to even store our suit cases. The bathroom was old. It had a toilet that was like a public toilet with the handle you would kick with your foot to avoid the germs. Pedestal sink and a 3" glass shelf that could barely fit my toothbrush and deodorant. The shower was horrible. Went from scolding hot to ice cold throughout and the water came out like it was the end of a garden hose.
You could here pipes, flushing and whatever other noises throughout the night and early morning. Definitely bring ear plugs! The pillows were small like a throw pillows. The bed was actually comfortable. The hair dryer blew as hard as someone blowing out birthday candles... Try drying hair with that! And then within less than a minute it died. I called the front desk they said they would get someone on it right away. No one ever came to fix or replace it. I had to go out with wet hair. Luckily, we weren't going out to a broadway show and a fancy dinner that evening. I would have been horrified!
We've stayed at a 3.5 star hotel in midtown before and the room was much larger and newer and the staff was much more attentive. I thought this time staying at a 4 star would be a step up from that...so wasn't! Based on room comfort and service I would maybe say this is a 2 star hotel at best. If you only care about proximity to the subway then stay here but if you want something more comfortable and with great service and a true 4 star hotel do not stay here.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Please accept my apologies the staff did not recognize your anniversary after you informed us of the special occasion. Please also accept my apologies for the room size you were provided. Based on your review, we failed to ensure you had a comfortable stay and I regret this.

I would like to further discuss your stay with you but I do not have your contact information or any information regarding the room you were provided. Please contact me directly at 646-572-1213 or you may email me at brauch@nyhotel.com so I can further investigate.

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I have stayed in the New Yorker on a number of occasions and it has good and bad aspects:

The hotel is in a great location if you want to be in Manhattan, and would be a good choice for a tourist. The hotel is old and decorated in art deco style, and that is it's main appeal.

Rooms are generally in good condition and decorated in 1930s art deco style, but if you like big bedrooms with lots of space and an american sized bed, this is not the hotel for you - you will struggle to find room to place your suitcase. The beds are comfortable and linen is crisp and fresh, as are the towels

Bathrooms continue the 1930s theme, but it's a pity they skimped on the tiles when the hotel was renovated - painted tiles never look good and they don't wear well. One recurring problem I have experienced in this hotel is noisy plumbing which can be very annoying.

I have on occasion eaten at the Tick Tock diner attached to the hotel, and food is what you would expect from an American diner.

Overall not a bad experience, but if I were paying I and I didn't need to be in Manhattan, for similar money I would choose the Brooklyn Marriot which has easy connections to Manhattan and much larger rooms.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Been to Wyndham New Yorker Hotel? Share your experiences!