“Disappointing stay” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham New Yorker Hotel

You added Wyndham New Yorker Hotel to your Saves list
Wyndham New Yorker Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   481 Eighth Ave, 34th St & 8th Ave, New York City, NY 10001 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #254 of 463 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Youngstown, New York
“Disappointing stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

My sisters and I (5 of us) booked a suite at this hotel. I had read the reviews and felt that it might not be perfect but it would be a nice stay. First, our balcony was under construction and was full of workers and noise all day, starting bright and early at about 7:30 am. All the balconies were under construction so there was no moving. And one of the selling points of this hotel is the view, hard to enjoy through scaffolding. Next, while they're in the process of remodeling the rooms they clearly hadn't gotten to this bathroom. The bottom of the tub, where you have to stand to take a shower, was gouged out. Not a look that makes you want to take a shower. Also, the water temperature was inconsistent and some of us came close to getting burned. On the first day, they sent someone to fix the water problem but we realized the next morning when showering that it hadn't really been fixed. We had a lengthy conversation with a manager and were able to get one night refunded but it didn't change the fact that they should not have been renting that room. I told the manager that he really should go look at the tub and see how that appears to a guest. The people there were nice, housekeeping was good but I wouldn't recommend the hotel at this point.
They charge to hold your bags when you check out - not something I've ever paid for.
They recommended their shuttle for going to the airport. We needed 2 because of different departure times. We were on our shuttle for 45 minutes on a very warm day, without the air conditioning working, circling the blocks near our hotel while the driver waited to pick up others that weren't ready when they were supposed to be. Finally, after 45 minutes we actually headed for the airport. The other shuttle got to the airport in a timely fashion but dropped off my sisters at the arrivals instead of the departures and it took them a long time to get to the right area.
All in all, the hotel didn't do well.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Newyorkerhotel, Manager at Wyndham New Yorker Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear Valued Guest;

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Wyndham New Yorker while you were in New York City.

Please accept my apologies your stay was not comfortable or enjoyable. I wish to further discuss your stay with you but I do not have your contact information. Please contact me directly at 646-572-1213 to further discuss your stay.

I look forward to your response.

Barry Rauch
Wyndham New Yorker Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,422)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Paddock Wood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Just returned from my first trip to New York. We booked the New Yorker through Hayes and Jarvis (TUI UK) as part of a flight/hotel package. I was immediately impressed with the vast reception/ lobby area. Checking In was a painless process, warmly greeted by the staff. We requested a high level room and were given one on the 33rd Floor, with prime views of The Empire State building and Madison Square Garden. The exterior of the hotel was undergoing a face lift during our visit, with scaffolding obscuring part of the views, but for us, this was not an issue. The room itself was suitable for our week stay, although the bath had seen better days, only a minor point non the less. The beds were extremely comfortable, guaranteeing a great night sleep. We used the hotel's concierge service regularly and find the staff, in particular Anthony, very helpful in providing information of attractions, restaurants and transportation around the city. I would recommend the Tic Tock diner, for it's fast and tasty food, as well as Coopers Tavern for its wide choice of drinks and an incredible New York Strip Steak. Staff in both were friendly. In all, a great hotel in a prime location. Would happily visit again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Looking at other reviews my experience was quite different, I was happy about everything at this hotel with one exception. The air conditioning was very noisy, cycling on and off with cold air periodically blasting out of a unit on the ceiling next to the bed. I turned off the AC at night because it was waking me up. But then it is hot of course... At least the windows open, but it was 80F outside at midnight in June... I expected a small room in Manhattan for what I paid, so no complaints there, free wifi is great, bathroom seemed to be pretty new, everything was clean, even comfortable pillows which is a rarety in hotels I find.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Newyorkerhotel, Manager at Wyndham New Yorker Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Wyndham New Yorker Hotel while you were in New York City.

Please accept our apologies regarding the Air Conditioner in your room. It is never a pleasure to be informed a guest was inconvenienced. I would have liked to speak with you directly regarding your stay but I do not have your contact information. Please contact me directly at 646-572-1213 or you may email me at brauch@nyhotel.com.

I look forward to your response.

Barry Rauch
Cheyenne, Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This place was pretty nice, not a lot of extras, but it worked for what I was there for. The conference I was in New York for, happened to be at the same hotel and it was really convenient. Definitely wish that it had bigger bathrooms, (I'm a bigger dude) but... was kind of nice that it had two separate bathrooms. Staying with three others that helped...There was also an employee protest/rally/march going on in the foyer area, which was interesting... So, if you were going to a seminar learning about labor protests/unionizing/etc. you'd have been in the right place to get a birds eye view... Now, other than that, it was a pretty satisfactory place to stay for business purposes.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
bishopbriggs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Just returned fro New York and stayed in this hotel again. We nada room on the 37th floor with a view of Maddison Square Garden all the way down to the Hudson and even as far as Liberty. The hotel has a fantastic vibe about it. The Tic Tock dinner attached open 24 hours. The beds are like sleeping on clouds. All staff very friendly and helpful

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This gotel was recommended to to by someone who stayed there in April 2014. I was disappointed in the room itself. The hobby area is very nice. The bathrooms are very dingy & outdated. The rest of the room was ok. They have new remodeled rooms & you have to ask for them I guess but the pri e is like $100 more. The ladies at the front desk were nice &did give me a new room (not in the newest rooms because manager said I would have to pay the difference) I think it was a Hudson view. However the location is great, right across from Madison Square Garden. I walked from the Barrymore Theatre. I walked by myself at night back to the hotel.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

The New Yorker is located in a prime NYC location, right across from MSG. For this and other reasons, it's a well known New York hotel, but I was so unimpressed by this place. We needed a last minute hotel and thought it would be cool to stay at the New Yorker as we never had before. We made the mistake of staying during the dog show which was across the street. I love dogs, but there were dogs EVERYWHERE and it seemed like no one cared about us since we weren't a part of it. The service wasn't good and our room was so small and outdated. We checked out the next day and ended up staying at a Double Tree which was 100% better and a more comfortable stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Newyorkerhotel, Manager at Wyndham New Yorker Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Please allow us to apologize you were not comfortable during your stay in February when the annual dog show was was being held across the street from the hotel.

I would like to discuss your stay with you further, however, I do not have your contact information, I am unable to reach out to you, Please contact me directly at 646-572-1213.

Thank you for being our guest at the Wyndham New Yorker Hotel and I look forward to speaking with you directly.

Mr. Barry Rauch
Wyndham New Yorker Hotel

Been to Wyndham New Yorker Hotel? Share your experiences!