We stayed at the New Yorker mainly because of its location, close to Penn Station. We took the train from Newark Airport, so we didn't want to go far from Penn. The location is very good in that sense, however, we found that it was extremely busy all the time around the hotel - yes, I know its New York and it was August, but we had been before and stayed nearer to Central Park where it was much quieter. You had to fight your way through the crowds every time you left The New Yorker.
The lobby of the hotel is magnificient - however, the rooms are pokey, dated and disappointing - have seen better days. The first room we were booked into proved to have a huge wet patch by the bathroom door, so we had to ask to be moved - which the hotel accommodated very quickly.
Whilst wi-fi is free, we never managed to log onto in the room - it just went round and round - except for in the lobby - so a bit of a waste of time saying its free in the rooms. There were enormous queues to book in luggage with the concierge in the mornings and reception was generally slow.
The final straw was when we came back from an evening out to find the toilet wouldn't flush - when we phoned down to reception we were told there was a problem with the water which was switched off till 5am. We had to request that someone brought us bottled water to brush our teeth. There was no apology, but we decided to forget it till the next evening, when we came back to find a note under the door to say that there was no water again till 5 am. This time were were annoyed and, having phoned the numbers on the hotel's letter and had the phone put down on us, we went down to reception.
The long and the short is that, once we were successful in speaking to a manager, we were given a fair hearing and promised a refund of one night's charges, which we did eventually get.
Overall, the rooms were disappointing and the response of the management to the crisis with the water (which affected several hundred people) was slow, unapologetic and unsympathetic.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The New Yorker Hotel is one of the most popular hotels in New York City. Come revel in the newly re-imagined grandeur of our historic hotel. Our newly renovated and upgraded guest rooms and suites deliver contemporary comforts that leave nothing to be desired for today’s business travelers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Wyndham, Orbitz, Tingo, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Otel, Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo, Venere and Priceline so you can book your Wyndham New Yorker Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- New Yorker Ramada Plaza
- Ramada New York City
- Ramada Plaza New Yorker Hotel
- New York City Ramada
- New Yorker Hotel New York
- Ramada Hotel New York