Certainly not a 4 star experience
I'm checking out tomorrow after a 6-night stay. I wish I'd seen more reviews like my own so I would've better known what to expect.
(Incidentally, I'm not a picky/fussy person and I've had some great stays in hostels and 1* hotels, so try to keep that in mind when I'm marking this down)
1) I emailed in advance requesting my mother's room have a city view, as a surprise for her having achieved a personal milestone this year.
A manager replied saying this couldn't be guaranteed, but notes had been placed on her reservation to request this if available.
When checking in, we were told there were no notes. The check-in lady failed to apologise and provided confusing information about "maybe" my mother could change rooms. The issue ultimately went unresolved.
My issue is the lack of notes - we knew there was a possibility the request couldn't be accommodated, but in this instance no-one even tried.
2) the room is extremely small and basic, as is my mother's. Bathroom shelf is about three inches deep and not actually big enough to hold anything (literally - all our stuff falls off in to the sink). Bathroom door is so stiff it must be slammed shut with both hands. No lock on the bathroom door - when I queried this I was told it's the case in all rooms.
3) at check-in we requested a fridge for the room. I wanted to pay cash but the check-in lady made me feel pressured in to paying on credit card, which isnt reallt convenient. She was also unable to provide a specific figure i would be charged, and I felt she was confusing about taxes and charges etc.
When the fridge arrived (very promptly I have to say), it was tiny. Another 3* hotel in New York I've stayed in before provided a medium sized fridge with freezer compartment in the room as standard.
4) wifi is free and easy to connect to - however it's shockingly slow. Only got it working for 2 non-consecutive days out of our 6 day stay. Especially inconvenient as I want to check my credit card charges for the fridge!
This mandated me using the business centre for the Internet - cost £7GBP for 90 seconds use!
5) the hotel placed $260's worth of charges on my credit card during check in which I wasn't warned about. I was really alarmed and queried it - and was told this is standard practise and the money will be refunded when we check out. Again, the chap I asked wasn't apologetic about the hotel's failure to inform - and initially stated I was incorrect before he checked to verify.
1) the hotel on the whole is aesthetically nice
2) the adjacent Tick Tock diner is excellent, lovely waiting staff, short wait times, delicious food at good prices
3) the room and bathroom have been cleaned to a high standard
4) location is superb - everything is right on your doorstep
5) amenities eg business centre, fitness centre, gift shop are all excellent
Some redeeming features, but overall disappointing. I wouldn't recommend to family or friends, especially when we've had a far better experience at the cheaper 3* comfort inn manhattan on 44th street 2 years ago.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Dear Valued Guest,
Report response as inappropriate
It is truly disappointing to me to receive such a negative review from one of our guests. First, let me apologize for the inconvenience you experienced as a guest of our hotel. Second, your comments and concerns have been shared with our Management team for further follow up with their respective areas.I know that does not change your experience but I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concern and are definitely doing something about it.
Please allow us at The New Yorker Hotel the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Guest Service Manager
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.