“Still an Excellent Old World/Old New York-Style Hotel in the Upper Chelsea/Garment District Area!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham New Yorker Hotel

You added Wyndham New Yorker Hotel to your Saves list
Wyndham New Yorker Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   481 Eighth Ave, 34th St & 8th Ave, New York City, NY 10001 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #230 of 458 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Middletown, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Before I start with my actual review for this fine hotel, I need to share with you a bit of a preface to the review.
I stayed at this hotel several times between 1997 and 2001 on visits to Manhattan, and I loved it each time. In fact, it became my favorite hotel in Manhattan. Then, starting around 2001, came a long haitus period during which I did not need to stay overnite in Manhattan for a number of years; this period lasted for over a decade.

Now let's move forward about a decade, to late 2010, when I started to make trips several times per year to Manhattan because of my work, but for those stays, I needed to be positioned in lower SoHo, near Chinatown, and I rather quickly found a hotel in lower SoHo (the Holiday Inn SoHo) that more than met my needs, and that hotel has become, over the past two years, my favorite hotel for my fairly frequent stays in lower Manhattan.

Well, I learned in early October 2012 that I needed to spend a few days on the west side of lower mid-town Manhattan, just above Chelsea in mid-November in order to see some clients in that area, and so I checked out room prices at the New Yorker hotel using their own website (I will note here that I tend to always reserve my hotel stays via a hotel's own website, rather than via any of the online booking services, because things always seem to turn out better that way). I checked the room rates with a bit of hesitation, simply because I had noticed that the New Yorker nightly room rates have climbed steadily over the past decade, and that many times nowadays their room rates fall in the range of about $380 to $700 per night, which is well out of my price range.

Well, I was very lucky when I checked room rates in early October for a projected stay in mid-November, for I was quickly able to book three nights at the New Yorker (from Nov. 17 to Nov. 19), via their own website, for an average per-night price of about $175. To me, that is very impressive!
Now that we have the introductory material out of the way, I can move on to my review for my current stay here. By the way, I am writing this review on Nov. 18th, during the middle of my 3-night stay at the New Yorker, and then on the 19th I will be moving on to SoHo (because of my work requirements), where I will stay for an additional two weeks at the earlier-mentioned hotel in lower SoHo.
In late morning on Friday, Nov. 16, as I was heading to Manhattan on an Amtrak train, I suddenly realized that while I would be getting to New Yorker hotel by around 1 PM (and, of course, their normal check-in time is 3 PM, typical for most hotels), I had totally forgotten to call the hotel front desk the night before -- as they had recommended that I do when I had called back in October to ask about the possibility of an early check-in -- to request an early check-in.
In an attempt to remediate my oversight, I grabbed my cell phone and tried to call the front desk at the hotel in an effort to at least give them a bit of advance warning that I would be asking for an early check-in at about 1 PM. Well, each of my two consecutive attempts to call the front desk at the New Yorker resulted in a string of never-answered rings, followed by a recorded message telling me that the front desk staff was too busy to take my call, after which my call was rolled to voicemail. During my second attempt to call the hotel's front desk, I finally left a brief voicemail advising them that I would be arriving at the hotel in about one hour, at about 1 PM, and telling them that I would appreciate an early check-in if it was possible.

Well, it was only a quick walk from Penn Station to the hotel once my train had arrived in Manhattan, and I found myself approaching the front desk even earlier than 1 PM, perhaps at about 12:45 PM, with the full realization that there was a very good chance that they might not be able to offer me an early check-in on such belated notice. However, I was about to be pleasantly surprised!

Once I reached the front desk, I introduced myself, and asked for an early check-in, explaining that I had totally forgotten to call the night before to give them a heads-up about the request, and adding that I would be more than happy to pay any early check-in fees, if necessary, if they could accommodate my request for an early check-in. The very friendly front desk clerk quickly told me that she would indeed be able to check me in immediately, and she advised me that there would be no extra fees for the privilege of early check-in.
I happened to mention during our conversation that I had stayed at the New Yorker several times in the past between 1997 and 2001, and it was about at this point that she offered me a free upgrade from the New Yorker Room (a relatively basic room with a queen bed located on the 19th floor or above) that I had reserved, to a View Room, which, she explained would give me a queen bed room on an even higher floor that offered a better view of the New York skyline, and would also offer me a little bit more floor space. Of course, I accepted her kind offer for a free upgrade.
I am now a full two days into my 3-night stay here at the New Yorker, and I can report that this hotel has lost none of its charm since my last stay here over a decade ago. There are tons of elevators -- specifically, six or seven elevators serving floors 2 through 20, and another six elevators serving floors 21 through 40 -- and the elevators are spacious and fast, and thus there is NEVER any significant wait for an elevator, no matter what time of day or night.

The lobby is still quite impressive; it is very large, and it features a number of separate seating areas where one can sit to wait, or relax, or read a book, or to simply sit and people-watch. There are currently two restaurants in the lobby; a cute art deco-style (like much of the rest of the hotel) diner-style restaurant called the TickTock Diner on the southern end of the lobby, and a restaurant called Coopers at the northern end of the lobby. I have eaten at both, and each has good menu selections and serves good food.
I have invariably found the lobby area, the large elevator area, the hallways (on the hotel room floors) and my room to be immaculately clean and well-cared for. Yes, the rooms are a bit small, but that is simply a fact of life for rooms in most hotels in Manhattan, at least in the under-$600-per-night price range, due to high real estate costs and high property taxes.

Speaking of the rooms, the building was completed in 1926, and opened for business as a hotel in 1930, and thus the basic "bones" of the structure -- including room shape and size for the hotel rooms -- are the same as when the hotel was first built. With that in mind, I want to say that I feel that the hotel management has made excellent use of the available space and structural bones in remodeling the rooms and the hallways, and the net result, for me, is a hotel that is obviously almost one hundred years old, but which exhibits a lot of warmth and grace, and which remains an iconic and stately hotel, one of the grander old-style hotels in Manhattan.
During my stay here, I have always found the front desk staff to be very helfpul and attentive, whether I have approached them in person or whether I have called the front desk from my room phone. Regarding complaints from a few earlier reviewers that they were never able to reach the front desk by phone while they were staying in the hotel, and rather, that they got rolled to voicemail each time they had tried to call the front desk, here is my report of my own experience in that realm:
Much as I reported earlier, my two attempts to call the hotel's front desk from my cell phone while on a train enroute to Manhattan did result in each of my two calls having been rolled to voicemail. However, during my actual stay here, out of the eight or so times that I have needed to call the front desk, there has been only one instance where my attempt to do so has resulted in my call being rolled to voicemail, and, in that case, when I tried again to call the front desk just one minute later, my call was answered by a person almost immediately.

I was able to easily get a rental refrigerator for my room by calling the front desk, and the total one-time refrigerator rental fee was simply $20, which is a bargain by Manhattan hotel standards!
Since so many past reviewers have complained about the bathrooms, I will offer my own observations on that matter here: I am 6'1" tall, albeit rather slender (I weigh about 185 pounds) and agile, and I never had any problems at all navigating around the room itself (even with the small rental refrigerator installed) or in the bathroom.
Yes, the bathroom is rather small, but that is very common for hotel rooms in New York city, particularly in the older buildings, and, at least in my room (a View Room on the 28th floor), the bathroom was spotless and immaculate, and both the bathtub and the tile floors of the bathroom were in perfect shape. And, despite the fact that I am 6'1" tall, I had no trouble at all accessing or using the sink, the shower/tub, or the toilet, and could easily live in this room for months on end in total physical comfort and ease, without ever feeling cramped, crowded or constrained by space limitations.

All that I can say in closing is that whenever I need to stay in or near the Chelsea/Garment District area in Manhattan, I will definitely return to this hotel again and again.

BTW, while basic bare-bones slow WiFi here is free for all hotel guests, there is a charge of about $9 per day for a very high-speed enhanced WiFi connection (it is very quick and easy to enable the enhanced high-speed WiFi; it takes about four seconds to click on a button to have the charges billed to your room bill). I personally chose to go with the high-speed option, and I have not regretted it.

One last note: for me, one of the things that gave this hotel its charm was the old-style wooden door frames and moulding/trim, and the old marble trim that was ever-present in hallways, in the lobby and in the mezzanine area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,300)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

There is a lot of history to to this hotel, and it tends to show in the wrong ways: old-style marble trim in rather drab hallways, for example. The rooms are tiny, i.e normal for New York, and the attempts at Art Deco styling are not very successful. A plus for me was the casement window, which opened. I prefer that to the hermetic HVAC systems of modern hotels. A minus was that there was almost no ledge, and no sink counter, in the bathroom. If you're mot careful, leaning over the sink to splash water on your face can lead to a bonk on the forehead from what ledge there is.

Apparently certain floors of the building are residential or offices; the upper floors are hotel. It makes for a busy lobby, and annoying security near the elevators. The all-night old-fashioned diner, off the lobby, seems nice on paper but looked hideous from the doorway. The best thing about the hotel is its location a block from Penn Station, allowing for easy access to the subways and the train to Newark Airport.

Room Tip: Unless you want a view of the Empire State Building, a room on the N or NW side will be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

We heard From the reviews that rooms could be a problem here some being very small but thought this wont happen to us as We picked this hotel for the panoramic views on offer from a suite room. We arrived early to get a good room and were given a room with one view of a brick wall . It took three hours to eventually get changed to another room , they acknowledged this was still not the right room , the toilet was so small even our average sizes could sit there ...though the next night we were given a much better room which we loved. It's such a shame when the first night went so wrong and we lost so much time on our limited visit to NY to sort it out. I wonder if we will stay here again, we would like to , when its right it is good here but are unsure what would happen as the reviews show we are not alone with this problem and in reception when we came back to complain we were not alone.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ronny Y, Manager at Wyndham New Yorker Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

We do value all feedback from our guests, both positive and negative, as this is the only way to ensure we continue to grow and evolve as a business.
I hope you can take the opportunity to contact me at your convenience so I may address your comments. As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues. Again, thank you for the comments because we are always looking for ways to improve our service.

Ronny Yagual
Guest Service Manager
Ryagual@nyhotel.com
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This hotel is nothing special but perfectly adequate for what we wanted. The only real problem we had was the reception staff seem unable to tell people to stop pushing in the queue. It is very frustrating to have travelled for hours and for rude people to push in and not be told to get to the back of the queue.
Rooms: Small, but ok. They are not that well soundproofed but adequate if people dont have yelled conversations down the corridors when coming back drunk.
Location is great: close to Empire State Building, Penn Station and Times Square

Room Tip: You can ask for a quiet room, this will mean you don't get a good view so it's your choice.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We booked this hotel through Travelzoo, getting a great deal on a suite. I requested as high up as possible and was given a room on the top 40th floor with great river and city views. The room had fridge with water and cokes and drinks machine for tea/coffee making, extras availble via the maid service. The room and sitting room were warm, clean, pleasently furnished and comfortable, a real sanctuary for the hustle and bustle of the city. The staff in the hotel, diner and bar were friendly, polite and helpful, throughly enjoyed my stay and would recommend booking.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Excellent hotel, nice big rooms. Very clean and tidy and situated in great spot. Just down the road from Madison square garden. And just a short walk from Empire State. The staff are very helpful and polite. The foods very good in the restaurant and Also a great
Bar

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

The New Yorker Hotel aka Ramada-Plaza, is part of the Wyndham chain.
I recently had the opportunity to stay at the historic New Yorker while attending a conference at the nearby Javits Convention Center. The New Yorker is very convenient to a number of attractions and venues in mid-town Manhattan, located as it is at 34th and 8th. Penn Station, Madison Square Garden, Macy’s, Herald Square and the aforementioned Javits Center just to name a few. In addition, there are a plethora of nearby restaurants, easily 50+ places to eat within a two block radius around the hotel. These restaurants include the Tick Tock Diner and Cooper’s, both on the hotel grounds adjacent to the main lobby, as well as the Stage Door deli within less than a block. One of the main attractions of the New Yorker is simply its history, of which almost all the staff seem to be blissfully unaware, and the hotel misses the boat on an excellent marketing opportunity if they would include a short blurb in the in-room notebooks (sorry, English only despite English speakers being apparently a minority of the guests) or in a pamphlet available at the front desk. There’s a lot of history with the New Yorker, once one of the best hotels in Manhattan. Visitors can find a Wikipedia history entry at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yorker_Hotel. The hotel was built in 1928 and interestingly among the many facts, it was the home of the genius Nikola Tesla for the last 10 years of his life, 1933 - 1943. He lived in Room 3327 and used adjacent 3328 as his study. Both rooms are still available for occupancy. The hotel is considered mid-level to be moderately priced by New York standards and is very comfortable, with large rooms, and an unfailingly friendly staff. Numerous renovations over the years have kept the hotel up to modern standards. A well-equipped fitness center is included for the athletic types, there’s free wi-fi (an absolute must in today’s world), and a small and well-equipped business center. I found The New Yorker a delight and despite modernization still has remnants of its past, art-deco glory. The New Yorker is highly recommended, centrally located, reasonably priced, and comfortable.

Room Tip: New York can be a noisy place. If you're a light sleeper, ask for a room that might be blocked...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Wyndham New Yorker Hotel? Share your experiences!