“Wonderful place on Manhatten” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rooms to Let

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Rooms to Let
You added Rooms to Let to your Saves list
83 Horatio Street, New York City, NY 10014 (West Village)   |
Ranked #32 of 95 New York City B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
aalborg denmark
“Wonderful place on Manhatten”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Beautiful garden and a lovely owner Marjorie -cat and dog - my wife and I both feel we was a welcome guest in her beautiful old house and we enjoy our breakfast in the garden surrounded by flowers and trees
Quiet - peaceful and still in the middle of everything - lost of good restaurant just around the corner - especial "The Spotted Pig" - "Corsica" and Meatpacking District - 15 minutes´ walk to Broadway - 5 minutes` walk to Hudson River
If I ever come back to New York on holiday, I will stay on "Rooms to Let" again - really a B&B to recommend

Room Tip: Sylvia`s Room is situate to the garden - less traffic noise
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

Marjorie's beautiful heritage home is that incredible combination of charm, comfort and quiet, all in the walkable neighborhood of Greenwich Village, and right at one end of the High Line. We loved the room, even though we had to learn to walk with our heads held sideways, as the ceiling is quite low in some places and we're both tall. The room is full of furniture and art treasures (I especially liked the cow pictures), the bed is comfortable, the claw-foot tub a real treat, the little kitchen corner perfect for morning coffee, the vouchers for breakfast at Bus Stop Cafe were much appreciated. Animal lovers will like the friendly cat and dog who live here. We couldn't enjoy the garden because of rain, but I could see it would be a nice place for afternoon wine before going out. I would recommend this place to anyone who loves old houses.

Room Tip: If you prefer a private bath, the upstairs room is the only one. The shared bath for the other rooms...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

A peaceful oasis in the middle of bustling New York life - comfortable and charming house, absolutely lovely garden, two sweet pets (cat and dog), the perfect home-away-from-home for those travelers wishing for a more personal experience than a hotel.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

Mi girlfriend surprised me with a tremendous gift. She had planned a whole weekend in NYC (we live in Boston) and she had found this lovely place for us to stay in.

I really can't understand the negative reviews this place has been given. Marjorie was welcoming and friendly and the house was just great. Period. We were given Alex's room (so we were sharing the second floor bathroom) but luckily for us there were no other guests at the moment in our floor so we had the bathroom all to ourselves.

After walking miles and miles (we like to walk everywhere, yes also in NYC) we returned each day to find Marjorie in the kitchen cooking herself some dinner (which smelled great) and were offered a glass of wine and a comforting smile. There's a pantry you can use to make coffee or tea and we made good use of it. I like to read so I stayed in the living room downstairs and enjoyed some conversation with Marjorie and a friend of hers while sipping at my tea.

Overall I have to say this place is great. The house is clean, the location is AMAZING (seconds away from Pastis, the High Line... in the heart of the Meatpacking) and Marjorie is welcoming and friendly. My girlfriend mentioned this a couple of times and she was spot-on: "it feels like home in NYC"

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

I can't think of a better place to suggest for a short or long visit, whether business or pleasure. I first stayed here about 15 years ago and, from the first time, this felt like home. It is located in a very quiet street but very close to the heart of the West Village. If I could live in New York, I would pick this street. In fact, if I could, I would try to live in a house exactly like this. The 19th century building is lovely, the decor is welcoming and warm, and the rooms are charming. This place is best in summer and spring, when you have breakfast or take an afternoon rest in the wonderful garden. In winter, when coming back from the cold, it makes you feel warm and welcome. The service is impeccable, and Marge Colt (the owner) is great at letting you have freedom and flexibility, and provides great advice on places to visit or things to do in that area. I even picked this place when stopping in New York on my honeymoon. In fact, the stopover wasn't so much to stay a few days in NYC, it was to spend a few days in Horatio Street. Come stay in this place, and it will take a place in your heart

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

For more than 10 years, my wife and I have stayed at 83 Horatio Street in the heart of the West Village. As a former New Yorker, we couldn't ask for a lovelier, more historic setting. Centrally located near restaurants, shopping, and transportation, it now is only one block from the High Line which is a popular new elevated park. In addition, an annex of the Guggenheim Museum is being built two blocks away. After a long day around the city, it is comforting to come "home" to a lovely living room and backyard garden patio. The bedrooms are various sizes, but all are comfortable and attractive. The owner/hostess Marge Colt--now a friend--is very helpful recommending places to eat, as there are many wonderful ones within walking distance. We always look forward to our visits to New York and to staying at 83 Horatio Street.

Room Tip: The top floor "suite" has low ceilings and is not good for people who want privacy. Howev...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
East Greenwich, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

It's been a long while since I've stayed at a B&B, but time at this charming venue quickly reminded me of the difference between a hotel and a home.Lovingly decorated, filled with books and beautiful original art, the atmosphere was comfortable and welcoming.--even the resident pets were friendly.
We were able to easily walk everywhere--the High Line, Chelsea Market, window shopping as we strolled. Excellent restaurants surrounded us; it was hard to choose.
And this was mid-February. I can't wait to return to enjoy the garden, as even in winter it looks inviting.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Rooms to Let? Share your experiences!