“Great apartment hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Marmara Manhattan Hotel

Save Saved
You added Marmara Manhattan Hotel to your Saves list
Marmara Manhattan Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   301 East 94th Street, New York City, NY 10128 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #121 of 451 hotels in New York City
Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv, Israel
“Great apartment hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

As soon as I walked into the apartment, I felt like being at home. The apartment was exactly as described and photographed on the website (spacious, well equipped and nively furnished). The location is great with 2 subway stations within walking distance (96 or 86st). The staff is very friendly and does its best to accomodate to all needs. This was definetly the right place to stay for my extended stay in NY. My apartment had one bedroom and a livng room with a sofa that could accomodate 2 people and a great balcony, There is nothing like an early coffee from the balcony overlooking 2nd avenue or the east river to start the day with!

Room Tip: Higher floors and try to get a balcony
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
marmaramanhattan, Guest Relations Manager at Marmara Manhattan Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
No matter if its 2 nights or 2 months, nothing could please us more than knowing you “felt like being at home” the moment you arrived to our “spacious well equipped” apartments. Don’t fight the feeling, if it “feels right”… it is. We look forward to seeing you again during your next stay.

499 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Turkish first
Wayne, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Marmara hotel for the New York City marathon. My husband ran the marathon. This was the first time we stayed on the upper east side, we typically stay in mid-town when traveling to New York. Also, we have stayed in luxurious hotels with higher star ratings so I was a little skeptical. My concerns were quickly squelched when we were greeted by a very friendly staff upon entering the hotel. Without even asking, Dennis (the manager) upgraded us to a 1br/1.5 ba condo! It was really spacious and clean. The unit even had a full kitchen. The bed was very comfortable and there was also a nice balcony. We were pleasantly surprised! We were also pleased with the location despite the construction outside the hotel.

Dennis was also very accommodative about allowing a very late check-out since my husband was hoping to come back to the hotel to shower after running the marathon. Dennis and staff went above and beyond for us and we cannot thank them enough! We plan to return to next year!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Every year we are excited to have our NY Marathon runners stay with us, we live vicariously through all of you, and thank you for pointing out how you enjoyed our neighborhood close to Central Park. Tell all of your marathon competitors the same great treatment is in store for them when they book for 2014.

Firenze
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

An ex-New Yorker who now lives abroad, I was bringing family members to the States for their first American experience. For the New York leg of our trip, a friend recommended the Hotel Marmara, but I was a little skeptical at first. On the Upper East Side, it seemed too far from the things I wanted to show them and do in NY. On the other hand, public transportation was an easy walk from the hotel door, and the hotel is in a REAL NY NEIGHBORHOOD, so I decided to give it a try, especially when I calculated that we (4 adults) could stay in a very spacious suite for less than the cost of two ordinary rooms in any respectable, but modest midtown hotel. What a find! The hotel far exceeded my friend's enthusiastic recommendation. The staff was smiling and welcoming. They were helpful in every way -- you need directions? Done. You need more coffee in your room? You got it. Want a restaurant recommendation or a pot to cook your own pasta in. You got it. With a smile thrown in.The suite was spacious, airy and bright, and the view (from the 17th floor) a treat at every hour of the day, dusk, night and sunrise. The suite -- with its two bedrooms, large LR, 2 baths, full kitchen and dining room, washer and dryer -- was bigger than the apartment I've lived in for the past 40 years! And after long, tiring days of touring the city, coming back to it really felt like coming home. Sure, there were some scratches on the furniture, and the elevator kept us waiting sometimes -- but none of this has any importance whatsoever when measured against the very cordial atmosphere and the comforts of a real home away from home.

Room Tip: Look for a higher, corner suite. The farther away you are from the street (where they're creatin...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
The only disservice to your family members from abroad is, you spoiled them rotten with their first New York experience! It is great to hear they enjoyed our “REAL NY NEIGHBORHOOD” , the views, the shear square footage and most importantly the dedicated staff, it was truly are pleasure. We make one request of your spoiled guest, if they choose that “modest midtown hotel” don’t be too hard on their staff, it won’t be their fault. We rest assured they now know the Marmara is waiting, just a few minutes away on the Upper East Side.

Brunswick
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

I just spent the weekend with extended family in a 3 br suite in the mamara Manhattan, an "'apartment hotel', ie a low-service spacious city accommodation with no dining or room service, etc. '. I had family flying in to spend time in NYC together and this turned out to be an affordable, comfortable place for us to meet up, stay, and reunite.

we had 3 bedrooms and 3 baths, a decently set up full kitchen, a nice living room for hang time and chats, sitting up late talking wi a glass of wine, etc.... and amazing views of the river, the Empire State building and a. pretty night skyline. we were on the 26th floor... room 2603 . . . which I think is actually the suite shown on their website"s gallery for the 3 br suite. so just as advertised!

the staff were pleasant and friendly, in the mornings they have free New York Times in the lobby, etc . . .our space was very clean, beds were good, nice linens, large towels etc . . negatives were the weird lobby decor with AstroTurf on the walls, (a misguided attempt to be hip, maybe? ).

the bathrooms had nice marble tiles but tired, old bras fixtures which left me thinking these suites at one time were apartments perhaps?

the windows needed washing but they could be opened a crack for air, and they provided lovely views of the east river, downtown hew your and the city below.

the location and neighborhood are just so so. my elderly mother wanted to stay on "the upper east side" which I suppose this technically is, but it's a far walk from shops and other amenities - though found a gristedes supermarket 3 blocks away for breakfast foods. it is 4 blocks to the #6 subway line which wasn't too far, though we mostly took cabs. also, the front desk staff of the hotel got us some nice, reasonably priced private cars for various group forays when we couldn't fit in a taxi.

my only real, and serious negative was the frustrating, but free, wifi access. I had real headaches getting our various iPads online -we'd sometimes get the signal but then not be able to login . . .and this was a real pain. iPads are tough enough for anything but media consumption, so when you can't get them online to do some travel research, I, for one, was several times tempted to throw it if the balcony .. . . which i might have done but for the danger of injuring an innocent pedestrian below.. kidding aside this service us subpar and needs improvement.

• Stayed November 2013
We are so glad you selected our very very rare find in New York, 3 full bedrooms with 3 full bathrooms, amazing views and yes… all in Manhattan. Many of our guest seek out our location for just such perks, glad you warmed to the location. Thank you for mentioning our pleasant and friendly staff, they will be pleased. We are well aware how important “staying connected” is in this day and age, apologies you were finding it difficult, we are eager for your return so you may enjoy our progress and sell you again on our great Upper east side location.

Sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

After much searching and discussion we settled on The Marmara Manhattan as the base for the five of us (Wife, me + 3 sons - 16, 25 & 29). What a great decision, our 2 bed-roomed apartment was fantastic, brilliantly equipped, well presented and a view of the Empire State building from our bedroom and the lounge. The Marmara is out of the city but a 10 minute walk gets you to the subway and 20 minutes gets you to Central Park. It was great to feel you were in a neighbourhood full of Americans rather than all tourists. A meal at Nicks (just over the road) is essential both for the great food but also to mix with the locals. Yes, there is work outside the hotel until 2016 but it wasn't that bad - work starts at 7 but isn't that bad (we like to sleep with the window open and didn't find it too bad). Anyway, you only have a few days so get up and make the most of this fantastic city. Thank you New York and thank you Marmara - you gave us a fantastic time. Get a New York pass, worth every cent as long as you use it as much as you can.

Room Tip: We were on the 21st floor - less noise from the road and great views
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
“Fantastic, fantastic,…fantastic” it is impossible to ever tire of hearing such a description of your first stay here at the Marmara, Thank you, thank you, thank you! Now that you have made that decision, there is only one more family discussion needed---- which is the date of your return trip. It would be fantastic if it were soon.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I needed accommodation for myself and my husband, son and daughter-in-law and two grand-children: a boy 10 and girl 5. The Marmara solved all my problems by providing a twin room for the children, with bathroom just outside the bedroom door; king-size room with walk-in-robe and en-suite for my son and daughter-in-law (next to the children's bedroom), and a room with a queen-size bed and en-suite for my husband and me. The beds were very comfortable. The children's room was the least spacious but there was plenty of room in the apartment as a whole and the six of us were comfortable the whole time we were there. The kitchen could be better equipped; we had to borrow a kitchen knife from our NY son. The location is more remote than we are used to for our stays in New York. The walk to the subway at 96th and Lexington was something you only wanted to do once a day, but then we never took advantage of the 2nd Avenue bus. The roadworks for the 2nd Avenue subway didn't create a noise problem at all, and there are several supermarkets within easy reach - two on the way back from the subway. When we complained that the air-conditioning in the children's bedroom was not working, it was fixed the same day. Unfortunately, as soon as we walked in, my grandson opened the floor-to-ceiling wardrobe door in their bedroom and it fell on top of him, frightening all of us and bruising him. It took a couple of hours for it to be fixed - it wasn't a simple job - and no-one actually apologised, which would have been nice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
marmaramanhattan, Guest Relations Manager at Marmara Manhattan Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
We are so glad you enjoyed our huge Three Bedroom accommodations, they are rare find in New York. Many praise the “remote” location here on the Upper East Side as just far enough away from the craziness of midtown, yet a short subway ride to all the excitement, so pleased you were able to enjoy both worlds. I want to take a moment to offer my sincere heartfelt regret concerning the wardrobe, I am confident that was a grave oversight and truly not our intent, I apologize. Please keep coming back, we will keep a light on.
ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

The welcome was very professional. The staff were very helpful. The apartment was great - clean, spacious and very comfortable. Facilities in the apartment were also excellent. But the outside noise (we were on the 8th floor) was something nothing could have prepared me for - between the 24 hour traffic and the construction work there was no escaping it. I needed ear plugs to sleep. I strongly recommend using ear plugs if staying here to ensure restful sleep.

Room Tip: Go as high as possible to avoid the noise of the traffic.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
We will never be able to divert the traffic, but each day of construction brings us closer to our very own greatly anticipated Subway stop. So sorry you were in need of the earplugs, but thank you for your greatly appreciated accolades. Looking forward to seeing you again when you will be getting off at the Marmara Manhattan stop.

Been to Marmara Manhattan Hotel? Share your experiences!