“Could have been better” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Marmara Manhattan

You added The Marmara Manhattan to your Saves list
The Marmara Manhattan
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   301 East 94th Street, New York City, NY 10128 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #137 of 459 Hotels in New York City
“Could have been better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

First off let me say that I am a frequent visitor to NYC. I have family there and sometimes stay with them and sometimes in a hotel. I choose the hotel based on what else I am doing during my visit. Location is not always the primary consideration because when you are in NYC, there is so much to do all over the city that you will be walking, taking a cab or the subway at some point no matter what.

That being said for this trip I chose the Mamara based on its proximity to my relatives and that my husband and I were travelling with 2 teenagers so the space and the extra half bath were a plus. We were there for a week in a 1 bedroom Deluxe with one and a half baths.

Location – as mentioned the location on the Upper East Side is not a problem. The subway is less than a 10 min walk away. There are lots of small shops and restaurants in the area so you can easily find what you need.

Noise – Yes there is construction and 2nd ave and in addition, there is a building being worked on behind it too. The morning does get noisy but it is New York – it is noisy no matter what. Bring ear plugs.

Staff – the staff is friendly and will always greet you etc.

Rooms – the rooms are best described as tired. The decor is dated, and just tired. The bed is fairly comfortable and we sleep well. The sofa bed in the living room however was not comfortable and had some loose springs. There are only blinds that you pull down so they do not block out the light in the morning, it would be nice to have curtains along with the blinds. We only had two chairs in the dining area, would have been nice to have 4. The rooms fairly clean but things such a shampoo were not restocked during the week. It was nice to have the kitchen and we bought some groceries so we could have breakfast in the mornings. We still went out to get coffee because I find those little coffee makers just do not make good coffee.

The biggest disappointment was the location of our room. We booked the Deluxe One Bedroom which at the time of our booking stated on the website that those rooms were located on floors 11-19. When we checked in we were given a room on the 4th floor. I asked if there were any available on a higher floor and I was told that there were none and that they are more popular and usually taken by longer term guests. A few days later I checked on the website and confirmed that it stated the Deluxe rooms are on floors 11-19, I went to the front desk and asked again. I was given the same explanation as though I was making a special request even though it was the description of the room category I had booked 4 months before. I explained what it stated on the website and there was some confusion amongst the staff if it did say that. At no point did anyone apologise or offer any other recourse. In fairness they did call and offer us a room on a higher floor but by then we were 4 days into our stay, we had done shopping and we were spread out and to pack everything up and move would have just been very inconvenient at that point. Since I thought I had paid to ensure my room was on a higher floor and I did not get it, it made my stay there less enjoyable.

I just checked the website and they have now changed it to read that all One Bedrooms are located on floors 3-19. At least other travellers will now not be disappointed by not getting what they booked.

I would say overall our stay was decent and would be ok to recommend it but I would not rush back to there personally.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
marmaramanhattan, Guest Relations Manager at The Marmara Manhattan, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you so much for taking time for such detailed feedback. We prosper all the more from your honest account of your stay with us, and will take into account all your concerns and suggestions. I do apologize for not being able at check in to offer you the higher floor, but am heartened you enjoyed the staff and they kept you in mind to see to your needs. Please do keep us in mind when you return to the city and give us the opportunity to win you over on your next stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Turkish first
Ashland, Kentucky, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I have worked in NY over the past 6 mos and could not have been happier with the extraordinary service and accommodations of the Marmara. The staff are amazing, the decor is appealing, and the suite layout is perfect for a home away from home. I have felt very safe here as a female business traveller. There is not a single aspect of my visit that the staff could improve upon- everyone and everything has been fabulous! The Marmara sets the bar very high for luxury hotels!
JMallin

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
We thank you from bottom of our hearts for your loyalty, it has been an Amazingly Extraordinary pleasure for us to serve you during your innumerable stays here with us at the Marmara. It was an distinct honor getting to know you, and we all wish you great success in your future endeavors. We want you to remember New York is not only a business destination, and exceedingly look forward to your next pleasure trip to hear all the good news. We thank you and carry a special place for you in our hearts at the Marmara..
Katoomba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I stayed here with my friend in 2009 for a week. The location is great with a short walk one block up and over to Lexington and onto the 6 subway line which is a fast train to Times Square. It is nice to see it is still receiving great reviews. The apartment was very comfortable, clean and the staff were very helpful and friendly. With a great Italian Pizzeria across the road and in close proximity to a market, chemist and bottle shop it served all our needs.
There is a laundry an gym in the basement although the gym is was just a basement room with limited equipment. It was good to access a laundry for a week long stay.
We found our accomodation online at a great rate and were very pleased with this place. The cityscape is pretty at night and the one bedroom was very roomy with a pull out sofa bed. I would recommend the Marmara.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
It is a distinct honor you remember us so fondly after such a long time, your return visit is definitely overdue. The adage, there’s never a second chance to make a good first impression defiantly applies. Thank you for your review and keep the recommendations coming.

PS...We have updated our GYM and cannot wait till you try it...
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

The Marmara Manhattan has one the friendliest, most genuine, and current staff members I have encountered in Manhattan in the past 2 years. That will make you immediately feel welcomed upon arrival, taken care during your stay and safe in the city of sirens. It has the atmosphere of a luxury high rise with a comfortable lobby, complimentary internet access and space to lounge. The kitchens are very well equipped to prepare a full meal or simply to heat at convenience. Cleanliness is impeccable and all the rooms spacious,bright and boast incredible views of the city or river. Although it is perfect for families, it fits the needs of a business traveler looking for longer time stay. It has a very convenient location on the corner of 94th at second av.Public transportation abounds. The staff will extend on explaining the advantages of the area, including tips on transportation. A short 10 minute ride to Rockefeller Centre, a 10 minute walk to Madison Avenue, or 20 minute ride to Soho with the the choice of Metro, Bus or Taxi surround that neighborhood. Your choice of restaurants, supermarkets, pharmacies, delivery or pick are as plentiful as the culinary stories of the city. A suite at The Marmara, is a home in New York, and the staff are there to make of the home stay an experience. Safe, convenient, spacious, clean and accessible. Some construction on the subway line is going on along second av. at the moment. It is not permanent and it is not a major inconvenience. New York vibrates regardless of where you stay. An upper floor room is always more convenient. The elevators are fast and fashionable and coming in and out through the gardened lobby always a feast for the senses. Definitively recommend it if you are looking for a home feeling, safety, and value.

Room Tip: Upper floors have more extensive views, middle floors are still convenient, lower floors are good bu...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
We revel in your review of our staff, and take pride knowing you rate them among the top in Manhattan. Cleanliness, safety and genuine friendly service is our goal to keep you returning for many years to come. The virtue of our apartment style living whether on business or pleasure truly abounds here with us, as does (as you pointed out) transportation choices. We are honored you will recommend us and look forward to offering you the same great service, when you want that homey feeling on your return to our great city.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

When I come back home to NY I like to stay in residential neighborhoods in something that doesn't feel like a hotel. This mix use luxury apartment/hotel is my preference. Two blocks from the subway at 96th street and eight blocks away from the subway on 86th street it's perfect. having grown up a few blocks away on the upper east side fits my lifestyle perfectly. Some may be disturbed by the construction of the 2nd Avenue subway line but me being a native New Yorker, my mindset is, that's just how it would be if I lived there on a daily basis, it comes with the territory.And it's going to take them years to complete it, so.... My advice for out-of-towners, stay on a higher floor to avoid the noise during the weekday. Though all apartments have not been fully renovated as of yet, if you're looking for a clean, comfortable residence like atmosphere, with lots of restaurants and bars outside your door (or supermarket/grocery stores) should you choose to cook your own phone this is a good choice. Central Park is a quick bus ride - catch it either on 86 or 96 street. The Guggenheim Museum is right on 5th Avenue. Or if you're like me - walk - it's only five nice blocks west - but the bus will take you through the park and over to the west side - the Natural History Museum is on the Westside. The staff is friendly and feels like family. Remember it's a resident/hotel so there are no restaurants or room service available on the premises. But you shouldn't care if you're looking for a setting that feels like home. Especially for long term stays. If you want all the bells and whistles of a four/five star HOTEL then stay in a HOTEL - it you want an apartment -these are a good bet. Will be back there again in June. Happy travels.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
“There’s no place like home…” we are delighted you so enjoy our emerald city! Thank you for mentioning what ”comes with the territory”, the short walk to the world renowned museums and to our enviable “backyard” Central Park. High praise indeed if transplanted natives return and claim our “residential neighborhood” as their destination in New York. We are eager to see you back home in June and rest assured our Room Service is offered by innumerable UES restaurants eager to offer up their specialty
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Marmara for a couple of days due to some medical tests at Mount Sinai Hospital. Originally, I had selected it due to proximity to the hospital, so I could walk, but injured my knee which prevented me from walking much. A taxi to the medical center was between $5 - $ 7.50. While there is subway construction happening on 2nd Ave, I wasn't affected by any construction noise at any point during my stay. You do hear traffic, but it IS NYC.

The staff were all so friendly and approachable, which I really appreciated. Super friendly, they all went out of their way to make me comfortable. Dennis the concierge is great. All the doormen I encountered were incredibly helpful. One even went outside, in the snow and acorss the street to hail me a taxi. I arrived late, and upon check in was advised there is a 24 hour deli across the street, and a pizzaria open until 3am.

I will be travelling back to NYC several times over the next couple of years, and do plan on staying at the Marmara again. The rooms are a little dated, with older appliances, and little decor/color paint, but the room was very clean and the bed very comfortable. HDTV's in the rooms. The windows open.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
marmaramanhattan, Guest Relations Manager at The Marmara Manhattan, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
It is a great pleasure to receive reviews that start out “clean, spacious and excellent staff”. Much thanks for the praise of our dedicated Doormen, going the extra step to ensure your comfort, on an uncomfortable day. Your most profound statement “IT IS NYC” with all its opportunities, around the clock happenings, and on occasion the decimal level, impressively adds to the excitement.
Okemos, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I picked this hotel mostly because I wanted to visit museums on Fifth Avenue and it was a short ride away, it was crosstown from family, and it offered more space than a typical hotel, the price was reasonable for New York and for what you typically get. I had an apartment, in effect, and never felt crowded. The staff was excellent, helpful, cheery. Can't commend them highly enough.

There are some downsides. It's on Second Avenue, where there is massive, noisy construction on a subway line. Even at night, that can be an issue because of the sound of cars going over the metal plates covering the street. I'd recommend asking for a room very high up.

Also, because it was a building of condos that's been re-purposed as a hotel, it has oddities: like a bathroom light switch in my apartment not much more than two feet from the ground, or a tiny toilet not designed for an adult man, and a mirror right opposite the commode (!). The water from the sink in the bathroom and the full kitchen smelled weird, so I used bottled water for the coffee maker (which sadly just had generic Maxwell House). There are scuff marks and signs of wear on walls and furniture, and the platform bed was positioned so that when I didn't fully close the bedroom closet door, I kept banging my shins.

Overall, I was pleased, but I'm not entirely sure I'd pick it again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floors both for a view and to be above the noise of a very busy street.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Our location is universally praised for the proximity to fifth avenue “Museum Mile”, what a treasure. I will personally pass on your high commendations to our “cheery” staff. We are grateful for your helpful appraisal and your thoughtful insights for our continued improvement. With the completion, nearing day by day, of the extraordinary opportunity the second avenue Subway offers us, the sky is the limit. We sincerely do hope to see you back in the very near future.

Been to The Marmara Manhattan? Share your experiences!