“Nice little hotel, friendly staff and great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel 35 Herald Square

You added Hotel 35 Herald Square to your Saves list
Hotel 35 Herald Square
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   42 West 35th Street, New York City, NY 10001-2201 (Formerly Comfort Inn Manhattan) (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #235 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Nice little hotel, friendly staff and great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Stayed at this hotel for 5 nights from 3 January 2015 with my two children. From the moment, we walked into this hotel we were greeted by friendly welcoming staff. We had stayed in the Hotel Metro (opposite) in December 2013 and their staff were miserable and un-welcoming. We did not have to leave a security deposit for our stay at Hotel 35, which was fantastic as I do not have a credit card! We were allocated room 806, which was lovely and clean, nicely decorated and the beds were lovely and comfy. The room was in similar style to the one at the Hotel Metro, but the Hotel 35's bathroom was nicer! There was lots of wardrobe space and a free safe. The TV was a nice size, but did not have many channels (a similar amount to the Hotel Metro).
The only disappointment at this hotel was the breakfast was not very nice. The one at the Hotel Metro was much better and had a nicer assortment of food. There were also no tea or coffee in the room or in the hotel lobby. There was a nicer big fridge in the room though.
The heating in our room was fine. There was access to an adjoining room for larger families, but we found this made the room slightly noisy as you could hear the TV and the people next door chatting. However, this was the only noise we could hear and was nothing compared to the noise from the vents from the Hotel Metro when we stayed there. We had no problems with the lifts, even when one was out of order for a short time.
Every time we entered or left the hotel, we were greeted with hello or goodbye from the staff, including the lovely Matthew! He was so helpful. All the staff were 200% more helpful and welcoming than those at the Hotel Metro. The housekeeping and maintanence staff were so friendly too! A holiday is meant to be happy and the staff made sure if we needed help or assistance we got it and were so nice at all times
The building this hotel is in has loads of character and some gorgeous features. If the owners, re-decorated the lobby, reception and lift areas. Added its own breakfast area, included all day coffee/tea facilities and up graded its breakfast - it should get better reviews than the Hotel Metro does! I would definitely stay at this hotel again! Thank you to all the staff in this hotel and I hope to visit again soon!

Room Tip: For anywhere is New York, I think a high room is better
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Elstree, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

A much nicer hotel than we expected baring in mind the price compared to many other hotels in the area and the fact we were there over New Years eve plus the fact breakfast was included.

A nice comfy bed and clean room. Only issue we had is that the radiator did not turn off or adjust the temperature so even though it was minus temperatures outside we were sleeping with all the windows open so that we could get some fresh air!

We were on the 10th floor so the use of the lift was a necessity, especially with large luggage. 2 available for the whole hotel but one was often out of order and they were on the slow side which did result in some frustrating wait times to get out!

Great location for a short walk to Times Square, Empire State, Macys etc. Slighly further to Rockerfellers but still very manageable. We even had a nice stroll to Central Park. If walking is not for you there were yellow cabs all around and the Subway is approx 4-5mins.

Room Tip: The lower the floor the less you will need to use the lifts!
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Ipswich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Booked this hotel as 6 months ago as the comfort inn then it changed names. As described in the comfort in there was tea and coffee making facilities in the reception area however now hotel has changed these have been taken away. I asked where I could but 1 and was told, about 10 minutes later security knocked at the door and informed us that this was not allowed due to fire hazard ! Complained to VIRGIN rep at planet Hollywood he appeared not interested and did not really give us a answer after a while he said he would contact head office and ring us this NEVER happened. I know it's only something small but it was important to us for taking medication, the reason we booked hotel. Hotel pictures in brochure and actual rooms are not the same. All rooms are very very noisy due to traffic. Heating very poor and noisy, considering it was minus 15 at times. Staff rude and unhelpful, free breakfast is ok scrambled eggs, bagels, corn flakes. All rooms are different, beds where very comfortable, TV in room had good picture. Hotel is close to many attractions, restaurants. Be aware that New York is very expensive for everything. But worth it. My advice would be look into the hotels & don't trust virgin holidays.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

Lidia G, Manager at Hotel 35 Herald Square, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Hello,

Thank you for having chosen to stay at Hotel35 during your visit to New York City; we appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience. We are very sorry to read we did not meet your standards. As we strive to make our guests stay as memorable as we can, the hotel is scheduled to undergo renovations to upgrade our facilities.

We hope to welcome you back to Hotel35 in the very near future.

Best Regards,
Lidia Garibaldo
Guest Service Manager
Hotel35
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Second time in this little hotel, different name but same service, super clean, great breakfast, comfortable and SUPER location. I spend some days with my younger son (30) visiting family and friends in N.Y during Christmas. Pick this hotel that my husband and I use couple years ago. Is walking distance from everything in Manhattan and I love the service, how clean it is and the breakfast is super good comparing to other hotels I have been in the area. At night the bar is full, for an obvious reason, good drinks and nice people. The personnel is always ready to assist you with a smile and a great attitude. My son is ready to go back to N.Y. with his girlfriend in sprint and he will stay in this hotel for sure. Something else.... the price I$ right.

Room Tip: LOL stay both time in the second floor, my window view (up) The Empire State Bldg.
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I had hurt my knee just before my visit. On our first day they lent me a wheelchair so I could get around. After that all the staff were so very kind as I was on crutches. We were changed to this hotel as our otiginal hotel had closed. Susan was so reassuring that they had our booking and gave us a lovely room. I am 62 and travel with a lady friend who is 68. The staff made us feel comfortable and looked after. The bed, pillows and duvet were the nicest We have ever had . It was even nicer than mine at home. I can't believe people complain about the free breakfast. There is proper crockery and cutley as well as the plastic. The choice is amazing considering it is free.it set us up for the day. The location is perfect. I cannot praise this hotel and staff highly enough. I hope I can go back one day.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Ok, have to break this down. Location is absolutely brill. Times Square is no more than a 15 min stroll, Empire State is literally two blocks, subway is easy to use (if you intend to use the subway frequently buy a saver ticket). We walked to Ground Zero, although a yellow cab is not costly. Macy's is literally a minutes walk

The staff are brilliant, always helpful. The room (double beds) was great. See if you can get a room to the front to take in the view!!! The only small issue is that it could have been hoovered a bit better, but in no way did this have a negative impact, as beds were made every day with fresh clean towels and bathroom cleaned.

Breakfast was good, however if you are a diabetic be careful as most things are sugary! So I stuck to toast and scrabble eggs!!!

My family and I were totally impressed, and we had a brilliant family holiday.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the street, but you will have to call
Bridgend, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Hotel was very tired could do with a upgrade bed was very uncomfortable and more like a three quarter bed than a double as stated. Towels were very thin paper like and no tea or coffee facilities Breakfast was ok but would have been better if we could have had proper crockery and cutlery instead of all plastic.
The location was the best part of this hotel a block away from Empire State, Macy's and Victoria Secret.
Try out the metro hotel opposite had a great evening meal there and breakfast at Harold's in the square

Room Tip: We were on the third floor and there was a lot of noise from traffic and the AC units which were out...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hotel 35 Herald Square? Share your experiences!