We had not been to NYC so we're so excited to be staying in such a great location on west 35th. This turned out to be true! However,the room we were shown to initially was unbelievable. Although there was s non smoking sign on the door, the room had emphysema- the walls, carpets and dingy bedspread stank of stale smoke. My partner broke out in a sweat carrying the bags in as the thermostat was stuck on raging hot with no possibility of turning it down except from the basement. We quickly ran to the window to get our first 'glimpse of NYC from hotel window' and found that we overlooked a brick wall. The hotel was very accommodating
about our disappointment and dismay and Milady at the reception found us another room overlooking the street. It was better and we could control the temperature a bit by using the air conditioner. This window mounted A/C had a
loud hum but it drowned out the city noise. The bed was comfortable and the room adequate (but for the need of a facelift) for a ten day stay. Breakfast was limited and we ate and drank from paper cups and plates. The main waiter did not speak to anyone and seemed irritated by the clients. He shambled around looking grumpy while other people did all the work .. Our first morning, there was a bowl of scrambled eggs upturned in a corner and no one had made any attempt to clean it up. The waiter shook the crumbs from a table cloth onto the floor next to me, turned the cloth upside down and reset. Mr personality ticked at me when I didn't know where to put a used tea bag and left it in a paper cup. He plonked a small bin in front of me and made a tremendous display of pulling the teabag out and putting it into the bin. I wondered if we were on a reality set for a remake of Fawlty Towers! Although there were these issues, the staff were amazing and the cleaners were outstanding. We loved Chabra who thoroughly cleaned our room each day and was pleasant and friendly. The owners are fortunate to have exemplary staff working for them. It is hoped that they upgrade and improve the looks of this former good-looker .
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This New York City hotel offers the ambiance of a small European hotel. Superior amenities and features include free breakfast with hot waffles, free coffee and free weekday newspaper.Business travelers will appreciate conveniences like free wireless high-speed Internet access in all rooms and access to fax services.All spacious guest rooms have irons, ironing boards, voice mail, safes, hair dryers and cable television. In addition, many rooms come equipped with sofa sleepers, microwaves and refrigerators. This hotel is a non-smoking facility.Accessibility and value are just two of the many reasons to select the Hotel 35 Herald Square. Our guests will experience personalized service from our attentive and friendly staff. Hotel 35 Herald Square is affordably elegant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, EasyToBook, Agoda, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Hotel 35 Herald Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Comfort Inn Manhattan Hotel New York City
- Manhattan Comfort Inn
- Comfort Inn New York City
- New York City Comfort Inn