“Fantastic, would stay again and again” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Summer Fun 10% discount
GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne
“Fantastic, would stay again and again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

We stayed at HI NYC as a family with teenagers (10, 12, 16) and also travelled with friends with children (13, 16). We both had a private room which sleeps 4 (bunk bed and queen) with a private bathroom. We also had a coffee maker and a small fridge in our room . The private rooms are huge. The Hostel is in the process of renovating and our rooms had been completed. The bathrooms were fresh and the rooms were fantastic. Some of the communal bathrooms had been renovated and they were great and the other bathrooms were in the process of being renovated. Housekeeping provided fresh towels each day. The location is great. Just one block from the 103rd Street subway or two blocks behind the hostel there was another subway line (blue and orange). Kitchen has been renovated and fantastic! Lots of space and lots of utensils - facilities included stoves, ovens, pots, pans, cutlery, crockery, dishwashers, space for food storage and fridges and freezers. All of the communal areas renovated. Wi-Fi available - bit slow when everyone on at same time in the evening but it you got on in the morning it was good. If we were to travel to NYC again would definitely stay here again and I recommend it to everyone. Subway very easy to use from this part of NYC.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

789 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
baltimore usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

I stayed here for 4 nights.It was clean and comfortable and affordable[ around $35 a night]. I got a room without an ensuite bathroom.Unfortuantly the communal bathroom for my floor was a few hundred feet away[its a big hostel]. My advice is to pay a little extra for a room with its own bathroom.

Overall its a nice hostel.I like the fact that its 2 blocks off Central Park. If you go a block west you will find plenty of affordable places to eat.The neighborhood seems fairly safe.And the hostel had very good security.It was a very safe hostel to stay at.

My only complaint is that the desk staff tend to be a little Manhatten -centric.If you ask them for info about places like Brooklyn, or Staten Island they actually ask you "Why do you want to go there?". None of them seemed to know anything about Brooklyn. But i have a feeling that all people in Manhatten have that atitude.
Overall its a good cheap place to stay in New York City.

Defintly visit the Metroploitian Museum of Art ! And walk around Central Park.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2010

Was Amazing! Cool service, amazing people! 1 block of the subway station
100 pts

Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Cambridge, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

My friend and I went to NYC over the week of New Year's. We decided to stay here to save some money. The cost was very inexpensive (we paid $45 per night to stay in a room w/ 6 other girls) and you're on the Upper West Side, a quick walk to Central Park and the 103rd St. subway stop and the area is safe. The downside... you're in a room w/ 6 other people. We lucked out w/ good roomies so that wasn't a problem. It would've been another story if our roommates were awful. They do have smaller rooms and even single rooms w/ private bathrooms, but I hear those tend to go quickly. The price is higher as well, but it's still cheaper than if you were to stay in a hotel. For the rooms w/o private bathrooms, you share the common bathroom and while they're doing renovations to make the bathrooms nicer, the bathrooms are not all that clean. I will say it's the fault of the guests though. I was annoyed that girls didn't pick up after themselves (leaving soaps, soap boxes, misc junk all over the place in the showers, not cleaning up their hair). I was always taught to pick up after myself, but apparently these girls were never taught that. They also don't change your linens or make your bed during your stay. I don't mind this, but I know some people would mind it. They also don't bring up fresh towels, but you can easily get those at the front desk. There are recreation rooms, lockers to store your stuff, internet, events/tours the staff arranges, a little cafe where you can get things to eat, etc. They also have a kitchen where you can make your own food and they have washers/dryers. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The building and area seemed to be safe. If you are looking to save some $ and you don't mind "dorm-like" digs, then I'd recommend staying here. You're basically there to sleep and take a shower and you're not hanging out there, so it was perfect for us for that reason.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Tallahassee, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2009

I went the second week in December so some of this might not apply if you go during the summer. I went with a friend and when we first got there we checked in with this guy that spoke so low I could barely here what he was saying. However, everyone else there was really nice. Hey...it is New York...and they are nicer than South Floridians.
I'll break things down into different categories:
Safety: You need a key to get into the main lobby and also into the room. I felt the neighborhood the hostel was in was decent, it was also pretty residential. I never felt unsafe walking home even at midnight, and for being only 2 girls that's really important. As far as the hostel itself I really can't say. The hostel is very big and there are always people going in and out so you can interpret that however you like. However, I never felt uncomfortable with any of the people.

Room: We ended up in a 10-female bedroom on the 3rd floor. The first couple of nights there was only 5 of us but I stayed a week and by the end the room was completely full. Of course we dealt with some people that were loud but honestly that's something unavoidable when you are in a room with that many girls. But we wanted a cheap room and so it actually wasn't that bad for how many people. At least in our room all of the girls seemed courteous, which I think is the best thing any hosteler could ask for.

Bathroom: Fortunately, we had a common bathroom that was finished remodeling. The bathrooms weren't amazing but they were always clean. The first two days we showered with cold water, and other than our last day that rest of the time the water was hot. They also put up a sign saying that the water would be turned off two of the days and that didn't even end up happening. I never had to wait for the shower or the bathroom and the girls were all really polite about sharing the mirrors. There is a rather crappy hair dresser but it's better than nothing.

Location: A block from the subway and about 5 stops from Times Square. I think it's a great location for the price. You are close to where the attractions are but you get to stay in a part of NY that is more quiet.

Likes: I really liked the little cafe that is in the lobby. They have a really cheap breakfast menu of bagels with eggs, sausage, cheese, bacon, or ham. They also have a lot of other good things to it. There are also two lounges with a wii in one and in the basement there is a nice TV room with a projector and a HUGE kitchen. That kitchen was the nicest part of the hostel. There were about 4 fridges, 6 microwaves, 4 stoves, 4 sinks...it was pretty incredible actually. They have a lot of plates and cups and pots to use, it's a shame some people take advantage of it and leave it so messy. I watched a guy who works there wash all of the dishes and clean up the whole place because people can't clean up after themselves. There is a lot of storage to keep your dry food, although the system is a little unorganized with people only putting a sticker with their name on it. I guess there isn't much that can be done since the hostel is so big. I've heard some people will steal your food but I never had that happen to me.
Also, the hostel has a lot of events each day, and while we didn't do any of them they seemed really nice if you are alone or are from out of the country. One thing we did do was go to this club called Pacha Saturday night. The hostel gave us tickets to get in for free, although when we got there they told us it was a special event and had to pay $10...it was still worth it! I recommend that club to anyone.

Dislikes: The beds were very uncomfortable. I don't think they were made with the same material of mattress that I have ever slept on. It was plastic and pretty loud and very uncomfortable. It was bearable because we only needed a place to sleep. The only other thing I can think of is that some of the days the water in the showers was cold. Since it was December it really sucked, but it wasn't that big of a deal.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2009

I was very impressed with the hostel.
Its an old NY build that has recently been renovated.
The rooms are clean. I stayed in a 8-bed dorm, which worked out at about 30 Dollars p/n. Beds weren't most comfortable, but rooms quiet. Locker attached to bed, so handy for putting your stuff away safely. Bathrooms very new and cleaned daily. The common living space was really welcoming and comfortable. Lots of couches and cushions to sit on. Big screen TV in basement and movie nights. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Felt very safe and found it to be an excellent base while visiting Manhatten. Very close to both Metro and Bus. Can also walk to Central Park and Museums....I'll definitely will be back there..

Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
manchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2009

i travelled across from canada to nyc for a couple of nights by myself. upon arrival was checked in just fine and the staff were nice and friendly. had a little cafe / shop area and souvenir shop in there. internet cafe in the hostel was way too expensive but prices may have changed since it was 2006 when i went there. the sleeping area was nice and clean however since it was NYC it was very noisy at all times to be honest and there were tonnes of kids there on school trips etc. the sleeping area was clean and tolerable. However the most disgusting area was the shower / bathroom. It was absolutely disgraceful. hair on the floor, basins and sinks were splashed with water everywhere and it was unhygenic - ALOT. My mobile phone also got stolen whilst i was staying there and nothing was resolved. I would not really recommend this hostel i am sure there are much better ones on offer - yes the prices were cheap but for that price in canada i got an awesome hostel. they do have a locker aswell although some were broke. location was pants aswell was way too far from central as its situated in lower manhatten if i remember right.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled solo

Been to Hostelling International - New York? Share your experiences!