I stayed in Hostelling International for four nights (Saturday 23/3 to Wednesday 27/3) in a male economy dormitory. This is the most basic of classes to stay in and for $50 a night it was well worth the money. The facilities which the hostel offers for travellers is top notch including clean kitchen facilities, a cafe (which is open late if you fancy a late snack) and tours/ information. The rooms themselves are cleaned on a daily basis and with each bed you get two pillows, a sheet, a blanket and towel. The lockers beside the beds are spacious enough and there are bigger locker facilities in the basement at a price of $5 per day. The bathroom facilities are great too, plenty of male and female toilets. With plenty of showers, sinks and toilets. The cleaners really keep on top of maintaining the bathroom and ensuring that it is clean throughout the day.
This was my first overall experience of shared accommodation and it certainly won't be my last! The hostel atmosphere is friendly and welcoming and I found many of my dorm mates to be friendly and interesting. The hostel also operates an information desk (separate to the reception) and here you can ask for NYC advice. TIP: grab a free map of Manhattan if you are unsure of getting around.
New York City accommodation particularly in hotels is expensive regardless of where you are staying but this hostel is in a great location (15minute subway to Times Square) and situated a block down from a subway station which links you to most of the main walkable Manhattan sites. At $50 a night you cannot go wrong and I will surely return to Hostelling International on my return visit to New York City.
Another good tip in general is if you have an unlimited subway card (7 days is normally $29) you can get a free tramway over from Manhattan to Roosevelt Island for free. This a great way of getting nice pictures of the NYC skyline for free.
- Also Known As:
- Hostelling International - New York Hotel
- Hostelling International - New York Hotel New York City
- Hostelling International New York
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Foreigners and out-of-towners meet and discuss travel plans in this large hostel. Largest hostel in the United States. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and HostelWorld so you can book your Hostelling International - New York reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.