“Absolutely Fantastic” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Oldham, United Kingdom
“Absolutely Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This hostel is absolutely brilliant. I looked at loads of hotels in New York and they were all at least triple the price of staying at HI New York. The staff are absolutely fantastic, always happy and polite and go out of their way to help you. The hostel is 1 block away (2 mins walk) from a subway station where you can catch the #1 train straight down to Times Square and all the way down to Downtown Manhattan.

I went with a friend and we stayed in a 6 bed female dorm which was spacious enough and clean, plus our room was across the hall from the bathroom - very handy! The bathrooms were immaculate and the ones on our floor (3rd) seemed to be quite new.

The only slight problem we had was that it was really hot when we went and the air con seemed to be on a timer, so we had to have the window open in the dorm which meant that we could hear all of the traffic noise from Amsterdam Ave all night long. This wasn't a problem when the windows were closed

The people and staff were all very friendly and there is loads going on every day which is perfect for the solo traveller. My friend & I already had our week planned out so unfortunately didn't get to take part in any of the activities taking place at the hostel. The room charge included a free breakfast which you got to choose from a toasted bagel with cream cheese or cereal, with a piece of fruit and tea, coffee or hot chocolate.

Don't be fooled into thinking that hostels are just for young people. During our stay we had 2 ladies in their sixties & one in her fifties each staying a couple of nights in our dorm and they all said that they felt very comfortable at HI New York.

If you are travelling solo or with friends then this is absolutely perfect place to stay in NYC. Great value and great experience.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 315 (3rd floor ) and were right across the hall from 2 immaculate female bathrooms...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The HI-New York Hostel is quite a good deal, considering the very high cost of living in the Big Apple. I paid $50 per night, which bought me a bottom bunk bed in a room with three bunk beds for a total of 6 gentlemen. And the room was spacious enough to feel not at all crowded. The room charge also included a continental breakfast (cereal with milk, hot chocolate and a banana). A towel and shower slippers (flip-flops) was part of the deal.

The room was clean, well lit and had a few outlets for charging batteries. There was also one medium-size locker for each guest. Free WiFi was available from anywhere within the hostel.

In the hostel lobby, I found a reception desk, an information desk, and a very nice selection of bakery items at reasonable prices. There was a large TV lounge as well as another lounge called The New York Room.

I heartily recommend this hostel which is large, but offers so many activities which would apply to many guests, young and elderly.

Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This is the best hostel you can visit. It has everything, and the coolest people.
If you go to NYC, you must stay there, the neighborhood it's really cool, and the staff will do everything to solve any problem.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

So impressed by this hostel; great location, affordable price, great atmosphere, very helpful staff, very clean bathrooms, great priced food in the cafe, wifi throughout the building, a fantastic kitchen, and interesting activities. I have just spent my first week in NYC and stayed at the hostel, made some excellent friends and had a brilliant time. It's huge and there are lots of school groups staying, but the rooms are quiet and I recommend it without reservation.

Room Tip: I chose a premium room - smaller dorms - you definitely get more sleep that way, and breakfast is in...
Danbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I have stayed here a few times now. I found it a great place to meet people from sround the world. Rooms were very nice. It is located near mass transit, so you can easily get around to all the great things NYC has to offer

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Edmonton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed in this hostel for 5 nights in October 2011 - as a solo traveller on my first trek to NYC. The hostel was in a safe location (extremely important for a 24yr old solo female traveller) and I appreciated the always-manned front desk and swipe card entry to get past the entrance. I felt safe the entire time I was inside the hostel (even though really anyone could bring anyone in with them.. as long as one person was a guest of the hostel).

I stayed in a dorm-style with 7 other girls. There were lockers in the room that can fit an entire wheelie suitcase, which I would recommend using because I came home mysteriously missing a new pair of jeans and shoes. The girls in my room seemed to want to wake up at the crack of dawn, but they were generally really considerate and not too loud - not too many obnoxious people at this hostel. No one was that friendly however, and I didn't make any friends here. The bathrooms were very clean and I never was stuck waiting for the shower.

They have a computer room where you can use their computer and internet for a small fee, or you can bring your own laptop and get free WiFi in the common area (recommended). There is also a theatre room in the basement with couches (fighting over remote control possession was interesting, watched a documentary on worms...) and they sometimes have comedy shows down there, and other common social areas. There is also a little store where you can buy muffins, chips or cups of soup (which the pour the hot water in for you). In the front area they have a blackboard with lots of activities on it that are free (or small fee) for hostel-stayers, however I did not partake in any (walking tours, pub crawls, etc.).

The location of this hostel is okay. it's about a $15 cab ride to Times Square, a many block walk to an entrance to Central Park, and just a few blocks from the West bank of Manhattan. When I go back to New York I will try to stay in a more south-east location relative to Central Park. Probably the best thing about this hostel is that it's on Amsterdam, which is a one way street, so you never really can get lost.

Before I left I pre-booked airport transfers and it was shady. I was picked up in a creepy van that was STUFFED with 10 people other (people literally sitting on top of each other) to get to the hostel, then on the way back to the airport I was picked up at 8am (only option) for a 2pm flight. I would STRONGLY recommend looking DEEPLY into any kind of airport transfer you contemplate booking. I wish I could remember the name of the service so I could review it.

Overall - not a bad hostel. It's a good cheap stay and it feels safe and clean. I wouldn't recommend it for people who feel they will stay in their rooms a lot, as you would probably prefer private accomodation.

Best part - they have a large outdoor back patio that is all strung up in lights at night. It is BEAUTIFUL and they play good music - very romantic!

Room Tip: Try to stay in a room with the LEAST amount of other people - so you have less of a chance of being...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Lake Macquarie, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Haaving never stayed in a hostel before I didn't know what to expect but was pleasently surprised. We stayed in a private room with our own bathroom and I reckon it equalled any hotel room. The room was very spacious and the bathroom was large with a lovely hot shower. All linen and towels were clean and fresh. I loved the little cafe which provided very reasonable snacks, drinks, yoghurts and fruit right up until 11pm (sometimes later) Plenty of computers to use at a cost of $2 for 20 minutes. The walking tours which you could book for as little as $10 and were well worth the money. The subway was only a short walk from the hostel. I liked the location of the hostel as it was well out of the way of busy Times Square and it was great to be able to get away from the hectic hustle and bustle of busy New York. I tried a few of the little eateries in the general area of the hostel where the locals obviously eat and the food from these places was always of a high standard. You could choose from quite a few little diners as well to have a reasonably priced meal. I did a 2 day trip out of New York and was able to store my baggage in the hostels secure storage for a daily fee of $5. (Very safe and secure)All in all I was very happy with the location and the rooms in the hostel and would definatly stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hostelling International - New York? Share your experiences!