“Best hostel I've ever stayed at” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hostelling International - New York

You added Hostelling International - New York to your Saves list
Hostelling International - New York
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   891 Amsterdam Ave., New York City, NY 10025 (Upper West Side)   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne, Australia
“Best hostel I've ever stayed at”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

So impressed by this hostel; great location, affordable price, great atmosphere, very helpful staff, very clean bathrooms, great priced food in the cafe, wifi throughout the building, a fantastic kitchen, and interesting activities. I have just spent my first week in NYC and stayed at the hostel, made some excellent friends and had a brilliant time. It's huge and there are lots of school groups staying, but the rooms are quiet and I recommend it without reservation.

Room Tip: I chose a premium room - smaller dorms - you definitely get more sleep that way, and breakfast is in...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Danbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I have stayed here a few times now. I found it a great place to meet people from sround the world. Rooms were very nice. It is located near mass transit, so you can easily get around to all the great things NYC has to offer

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Edmonton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed in this hostel for 5 nights in October 2011 - as a solo traveller on my first trek to NYC. The hostel was in a safe location (extremely important for a 24yr old solo female traveller) and I appreciated the always-manned front desk and swipe card entry to get past the entrance. I felt safe the entire time I was inside the hostel (even though really anyone could bring anyone in with them.. as long as one person was a guest of the hostel).

I stayed in a dorm-style with 7 other girls. There were lockers in the room that can fit an entire wheelie suitcase, which I would recommend using because I came home mysteriously missing a new pair of jeans and shoes. The girls in my room seemed to want to wake up at the crack of dawn, but they were generally really considerate and not too loud - not too many obnoxious people at this hostel. No one was that friendly however, and I didn't make any friends here. The bathrooms were very clean and I never was stuck waiting for the shower.

They have a computer room where you can use their computer and internet for a small fee, or you can bring your own laptop and get free WiFi in the common area (recommended). There is also a theatre room in the basement with couches (fighting over remote control possession was interesting, watched a documentary on worms...) and they sometimes have comedy shows down there, and other common social areas. There is also a little store where you can buy muffins, chips or cups of soup (which the pour the hot water in for you). In the front area they have a blackboard with lots of activities on it that are free (or small fee) for hostel-stayers, however I did not partake in any (walking tours, pub crawls, etc.).

The location of this hostel is okay. it's about a $15 cab ride to Times Square, a many block walk to an entrance to Central Park, and just a few blocks from the West bank of Manhattan. When I go back to New York I will try to stay in a more south-east location relative to Central Park. Probably the best thing about this hostel is that it's on Amsterdam, which is a one way street, so you never really can get lost.

Before I left I pre-booked airport transfers and it was shady. I was picked up in a creepy van that was STUFFED with 10 people other (people literally sitting on top of each other) to get to the hostel, then on the way back to the airport I was picked up at 8am (only option) for a 2pm flight. I would STRONGLY recommend looking DEEPLY into any kind of airport transfer you contemplate booking. I wish I could remember the name of the service so I could review it.

Overall - not a bad hostel. It's a good cheap stay and it feels safe and clean. I wouldn't recommend it for people who feel they will stay in their rooms a lot, as you would probably prefer private accomodation.

Best part - they have a large outdoor back patio that is all strung up in lights at night. It is BEAUTIFUL and they play good music - very romantic!

Room Tip: Try to stay in a room with the LEAST amount of other people - so you have less of a chance of being...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Lake Macquarie, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Haaving never stayed in a hostel before I didn't know what to expect but was pleasently surprised. We stayed in a private room with our own bathroom and I reckon it equalled any hotel room. The room was very spacious and the bathroom was large with a lovely hot shower. All linen and towels were clean and fresh. I loved the little cafe which provided very reasonable snacks, drinks, yoghurts and fruit right up until 11pm (sometimes later) Plenty of computers to use at a cost of $2 for 20 minutes. The walking tours which you could book for as little as $10 and were well worth the money. The subway was only a short walk from the hostel. I liked the location of the hostel as it was well out of the way of busy Times Square and it was great to be able to get away from the hectic hustle and bustle of busy New York. I tried a few of the little eateries in the general area of the hostel where the locals obviously eat and the food from these places was always of a high standard. You could choose from quite a few little diners as well to have a reasonably priced meal. I did a 2 day trip out of New York and was able to store my baggage in the hostels secure storage for a daily fee of $5. (Very safe and secure)All in all I was very happy with the location and the rooms in the hostel and would definatly stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We just spent a week at this hostel. It was great and I would readily stay there again. It's very clean - I have never seen cleaner bathrooms or a kitchen in a hostel. They also have a lot of activities and tours for people staying there. Everyone gets a locker in their room.The location is great, right on the #1 subway which takes you all the way down to the end of Manhattan.

Room Tip: It's very quiet. Stayed in a room for 4 and a room for 12 - both were fine.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

HI NYC is a good choice for those wishing
to save some money on accommodation in New York. I stayed in an 8 bed female dorm & although the room was a squeeze with 8 people & a few rather too large suitcases, the bed and sheets were clean and the lockers provided were big enough to fit my 55L osprey backpack (& would proably fit bags a bit bigger than that too)
I had read reviews before staying of people complaining of mice & I did witness the scurrying of tiny vermin in the room one evening quite late. However I think this was only a problem because people ignored the no food in rooms rules. Keep the food out & the mice won't bother you.

The bathrooms were cleaned everyday but due to the amount of people using them shower shoes would be recommended.

I was worried that due to the large capacity of guests in the hostel that it would be difficult to meet people and forge friendships but the daily events were a good way to meet others, and honestly there is so much to keep you busy in New York that I never felt alone.

Overall Hostelling International is a good base for a trip to nyc. The subway is literally less than 5 minutes away & there are many little markets & resturants within walking distance. Big common rooms and kitchen. Everything you need.

• Stayed September 2012
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

Travelling solo for the first time I was a little anxious about my stay, but I really enjoyed it. I stayed in a 6 person room, had no problems with cleanliness & my roommates were awesome. I was in a room on the street side of the building which could be quite noisy at times but when you're in NYC it's not unexpected.

I went on a few tours which were all great and met some awesome people as a result. I would definitely recommend Jerry's Grand Tour to everyone, Jerry is quite a character which makes the tour that little more enjoyable, that said make sure you're prepared for a long day! We were gone for over 12 hours.

The subway is only a short stroll from the hostel and was packed each time I caught it, even in the early hours of the morning.

If you're unsure about staying at hostels I would definitely recommend giving this one a try. There are people from all age groups staying there & there's always some activity or tour on which you can get involved in if youre wanting to meet some other travellers.

Can't wait to come back again one day!

• Stayed October 2012