“Very good big hostel - excellent base for exploring NYC.” 4 of 5 stars

891 Amsterdam Ave., New York City, NY 10025 (Upper West Side)   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Very good big hostel - excellent base for exploring NYC.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

This is a very good HI hostel. Rooms are spacious with AC - quite comfy beds. Big, modern, clean showers and toilets. Although on level 4, a lot of the showers and toliets were out of order and therefore there was not enough for the amount of people on that floor. Massive modern kitchen and lots of seating areas on two levels. The hostel arranges lots of social events, from walking tours to clubbing, although we didn't manage to do any of these as New York keeps you more than occupied.

Check in and check out was fine - although staff could be friendlier. Breakfast is not included although there is a little cafe where you can buy bagels and tea/coffee quite cheaply. The hostel is near lots of little cafes, shops and small grocery stores and only 1 block from the subway - great location and easy to get back to at any time.

Would recommend for travellers or people wanting cheap accommodation for a holiday!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Ghent, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

As a western european, its so hard to adapt to the rediculous rules the hostel has. Maybe its a US-thing, but it just doesnt make sense at all!
You're not allowed to bring alcohol inside?
And they charge you for everything! 5 dollars for storage? This hostel has a huge capacity of people, charging us already more than enough and still those extras, its stupid and decadent. They should invest in a decent pooltable as well... Urgently!!
Allthough! I had a good time at the hostel. Theres a lot going on, lots of activites and tours.
Security... I lost my pullover there, which is a pitty
The hostel lays near harlem, and thats to see... its quite far off the city center, but its all doable.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Despite the good location i had a really bad experience here in 2 days. I did my check in at 5 pm, went to the room which was completely dirty. I put my suitcase in the locker and left some objects on my bed (shoes, towel, book etc.). I came back after 1 hour, room was cleaned but all the items were disappeared, i was the only person in the room. I spent the next 2 days trying to find out what happened to my belongings which were never found (even after 1 week when i went back). Staff seemed unaware of everything. Since i did 2 separate bookings, the day after I was moved to another room. First, I had booked a 10 bedroom and i was put in a 12 bedroom. I did check in the new room early in the morning, i came back at 7pm and the room was still a mess. I had to wait until 830pm to get at least my bed done. Very disappointing and annoying.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed here for 6 nights, after travelling for two months around Central America. The first thing you notice about the hostel is the size of it. When we checked in the staff were hungover and unhelpful. The room smelt of feet and opening the window and door didn't help.

We emailed them and asked if the two beds we booked would be in the same room. They said they couldn't guarantee it but in the end we were. The room was a bit small for the six of us. There was a pair of football shoes left there that didn't belong to anyone. We were right next to the girls bathroom but we couldn't hear any noise. The kitchen is big but the fridges are always full with no space to put your food. We had stuff taken out of them as well. The bathrooms only get cleaned once a day despite the many people on each floor. Hairs were not cleaned off the wall or out of the drains.

There was no character to the place and the access door could be opened by anyone who waited for someone else to open the door. The phones connected to the internet (extra charge) didn't work so we couldn't use Skype on any of the 12 or so computers.

On our fifth morning a member of staff came in and told me my boyfriend had to move out the next morning as he hadn't paid for all the nights. He had to go down to the reception and show them the receipt of all nights paid when we checked in.

The staff were not friendly and there was nothing nice about the hostel. It was one of the best budget options but the price has gone from 30 dollars to 50 dollars in two years and the location was 15 minutes by metro to midtown manhattan. If you want to leave luggage until you leave New York after check-out you have to pay 5 dollars to use their lockers.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

What a great hostel, the facilities are great, however, the staff are a real disappointment. They are not friendly, and really seem like you are an inconvenience to them.
Watch your food in the kitchen, I had stuff taken every night I was there, although can't really blame the hostel for that.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

HI is always awesome! It's located on the upper west side, a block from the 1-2-3 subway station which goes thru Times Square all the way downtown. It's in a really good area despite what anyone else here says. It's not dangerous at all and the best part is the restaurants in this neighborhood aren't crowded. There's a fantastic curry joint up the street, as well as a Dunkin Donuts and Mama's Pizza which is also excellent. Also there is a market directly across the street which is open 24/7, I believe.

The hostel feels pretty much like a second home to me. I always meet great people here (very few Americans! Lots of kids from the UK and Italy! Americans tend to not like hostels much, but I do). I love being able to come back to the hostel after a night of drinking and go down to the big movie room (TV or movies running almost all the time) and relax a bit on the comfy couches before bed.

Beds are comfy, most rooms have a nice view, and rooms have lockers. Bring your own lock though - they sell them at the front desk if you forget.

There's a great concierge desk and the people here know the city very well. I've enjoyed all the recommendations they've given me.

I highly recommend doing the Tuesday night pub crawl with Tim. He's crazy and I guarantee you'll have a good time and meet some awesome people.

nagano japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

I stayed 9 nights .
Very very clean Bath-room ,Kitchin.
My 11 room-mates are nice .

Location is nice to looking around NY.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hostelling International - New York? Share your experiences!