“Great hotel and great location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Seton Hotel

You added Seton Hotel to your Saves list
Seton Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   144 East 40th Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #167 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Aberdeenshire
“Great hotel and great location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Small hotel about three blocks from Grand Central Station so an easy walk to Times Square but far enough away to be quite quiet and not too much traffic noise.

Booked through Expedia so when we arrived check in was no problem. I had requested a quiet room and that is what we got as the window faced out onto a back court yard. Being on the 4th floor helped too.

The air con was very noisy but it drowned out any of the traffic noise so a great nights sleep was had for the three nights we were there.

Our room had two double beds and a bathroom. Fine size, newly decorated and very clean. The beds were made every day when we were out and supplies replenished.

One small elevator which is old fashioned but worked fine.

We were happy to hand our key in everytime we left and it was good to have a wee chat with the staff when we came back to collect it.

Free coffee just off reception and a comfortable lounge to sit in if you don't want to go back up to your room.

Check out was at 11 am but they were happy to keep our luggage until we were ready to leave for the airport at 4pm.

My only complaint - which is minor is that there is no mirror in the bedroom, only in the bathroom. There is a dressing table area in the bedroom but there was a picture hanging where the mirror should really have been but maybe this will be remedied at a later date.

Location is brilliant as is Scotty's diner which is just a 5 minute walk away.

Definitely happy to recommend this hotel to anyone staying in NYC.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Thanks Seton hotel for our great stay. We had a renovated room on the 3rd floor and yes it was small, but it's the same in European city's so we're used to it. The bed was comfy and the shower good. Our curtain wouldn't close, which was a problem, since the office across the street kept their bright lights on and we also wanted some privacy. Eventually the wire got cut for the night and the next day they fixed it. Still it won't shutt al the way, but we just put our coats in front of it.

The location is great, near Top of The Rock and Times Square and a 10 minute cab drive from Meatpacking and lower Manhattan.

No breakfast, but Scotty's Diner just around the corner is great.

Special thanks to Emanuelle! Who was so kind in giving us advice about some restaurants, making the resevration for us and arranged a transfer to the airport.

Oh, and it smells so good when entering the lobby... Scotch&Soda?

Room Tip: Ask for a room with private bathroom!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Banchory, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

My friend and I recently had a long weekend in New York. This was our first visit and was all booked through Expedia. We really enjoyed our experience at the Seton Hotel. The rooms were perfectly big enough having 2 queen sized beds. The en suite bathroom was spotlessly clean and new by the look of things. Our room was on the fourth floor next to the elevator, but we never noticed any noise from it. The hotel is well placed and within easy walking distance of Grand Central which took approximately 5 minutes to walk to, Times Square was probably about 15 minutes walk. There is a great diner on Lexington called Scotty's which took about 2 minutes to walk to and the breakfasts were great. All in all I would recommend this hotel as it is far enough away that you are not bothered by too much noise at night, but as previously mentioned is well within walking distance of the major sights. The staff were very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

1) Claustrophobic. Even the "big rooms" have just a small window mostly facing a wall. Some of the 'good' rooms are painted in dark blue. Some genius decorator maybe wanted to make them feel smaller.
2) Bad maintenance. My wife got stuck in the elevator with our baby. It took some time until someone realized what was happening. The elevator hurt her arm.
3) More bad mainteinance. The air conditioner makes more noise than a war tank and it seems that they never changed its filter.
4) Family un-friendly. I've been reading reviews about the rude service and there is in fact a woman that seems to think that she's doing a favor to have you there. I did a reservation at the hotel through Booking.com and asked for a crib for my baby. Nobody replied so I thought it was fine, just like any other hotel. But they not only don't have cribs but also this receptionist woman with a bad attitude told me that: "it's not because you asked that we can do it". I asked why they never told me they don't have a crib. "ask to the manager at 4PM" was the answer. My baby slept in a mattress in the floor.
Conclusion: you can find something better, really. Keep looking.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
leslee60, Owner at Seton Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
I am so sorry that your stay at the Seton Hotel did not meet your expectations. It does sound inconvenient that we could not offer you a crib when that was something you required. We will be taking that up with Booking.com since they made the reservation and they know this is something we don't provide. As far as "mechanical" elements are concerned, we take the utmost care and responsibility in the maintaining all the equipment in our building. We are fully compliant and up-to-date with all of the requirements of the New York City Department of Buildings. However, occasionally some things do malfunction and we handle these things as quickly as is humanly possible. I do hope you will accept our sincere apology.
Esparto, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Three blocks from Grand Central Station with easy access to the entire city. I did not experience any difficulties with the staff and no one told me I could not keep my key. In fact, the staff let me borrow a phone charger when I realized I had left mine at home. My room was very clean and spacious, with a private bath. Coffee in the morning was self serve and very tasty. The room was not inexpensive but relative to others nearby, it was a decent value. I would stay here again, but book carefully.

Room Tip: The room with two queen beds has a private bath.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

First time in NYC, was a great location, The place was clean and tidy. My sister and I got a Double Deluxe Double room. We went in the middle of winter during the really cold weather, the rooms were very warm. The hotel was in an ideal location, with a 24hr CVS close by as well as a Duane Reade on the other corner. There are local deli's nearby perfect for breakfast, Grand central station is very close by, and it was a great location to walk to all the famous monuments.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

If I could give a NEGATIVE star, I absolute would! The service here is rude and unacceptable.

1. They do NOT allow you to keep your room key, seriously? What kind of hotel does that..

2. Every guest has to be registered, to even ACCESS THE ROOM, my friend got a room here, and I wasn't even planning on staying the night, I was just going to charge my cell phone, the manager wanted me stay in the lobby, Is this serious.

As a background, I went with my friend when she checked into her room. (I wasn't planning on staying the night). We stayed in her room for about 30 mins, then left when our other friend arrived. We were going to a convention together.

After the convention, I went with one of the girls whose name was registered to the room to charge my phone. The manager would NOT let me in the room? My friend who booked the room called to talk to him, they ended up arguing, and he hung up on her.

3. Then, he decides to kick us out? do not stay here, not worth the hassle!!

IN SHORT - DO NOT STAY HERE

Stayed May 2014
leslee60, Owner at Seton Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
I regret that your stay at the Seton Hotel was not to your liking. However I would like to better explain our policies. Our key system: We have found that most of our guests are quite comfortable with the procedure. We are a very small hotel and it actually allows us to provide excellent security making sure our guests are safe. It is not clear that you actually stayed at the hotel as you stated you just went up to charge your phone.

We do have rather stringent rules regarding registering guests but again this is really only for the purpose of maintaining the highest and best security for our guests. Many of these procedures came about after 9/11.

To the best of my knowledge no one was "kicked out" of the hotel.

Been to Seton Hotel? Share your experiences!