“Terrific Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Seton Hotel

You added Seton Hotel to your Saves list
Seton Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   144 East 40th Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Midtown)   |
Ranked #160 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Esparto, California, United States
“Terrific Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Three blocks from Grand Central Station with easy access to the entire city. I did not experience any difficulties with the staff and no one told me I could not keep my key. In fact, the staff let me borrow a phone charger when I realized I had left mine at home. My room was very clean and spacious, with a private bath. Coffee in the morning was self serve and very tasty. The room was not inexpensive but relative to others nearby, it was a decent value. I would stay here again, but book carefully.

Room Tip: The room with two queen beds has a private bath.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

First time in NYC, was a great location, The place was clean and tidy. My sister and I got a Double Deluxe Double room. We went in the middle of winter during the really cold weather, the rooms were very warm. The hotel was in an ideal location, with a 24hr CVS close by as well as a Duane Reade on the other corner. There are local deli's nearby perfect for breakfast, Grand central station is very close by, and it was a great location to walk to all the famous monuments.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

If I could give a NEGATIVE star, I absolute would! The service here is rude and unacceptable.

1. They do NOT allow you to keep your room key, seriously? What kind of hotel does that..

2. Every guest has to be registered, to even ACCESS THE ROOM, my friend got a room here, and I wasn't even planning on staying the night, I was just going to charge my cell phone, the manager wanted me stay in the lobby, Is this serious.

As a background, I went with my friend when she checked into her room. (I wasn't planning on staying the night). We stayed in her room for about 30 mins, then left when our other friend arrived. We were going to a convention together.

After the convention, I went with one of the girls whose name was registered to the room to charge my phone. The manager would NOT let me in the room? My friend who booked the room called to talk to him, they ended up arguing, and he hung up on her.

3. Then, he decides to kick us out? do not stay here, not worth the hassle!!

IN SHORT - DO NOT STAY HERE

Stayed May 2014
leslee60, Owner at Seton Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
I regret that your stay at the Seton Hotel was not to your liking. However I would like to better explain our policies. Our key system: We have found that most of our guests are quite comfortable with the procedure. We are a very small hotel and it actually allows us to provide excellent security making sure our guests are safe. It is not clear that you actually stayed at the hotel as you stated you just went up to charge your phone.

We do have rather stringent rules regarding registering guests but again this is really only for the purpose of maintaining the highest and best security for our guests. Many of these procedures came about after 9/11.

To the best of my knowledge no one was "kicked out" of the hotel.
Raynham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

Great little hotel close to just about everything: Walk to Empire State bldg, Rock Center, Times Square, shopping; 24hr CVS 1 block over. Comfortable beds, clean and updated rooms. Concierge was friendly and helpful. Some rooms have a shared bathroom. Just know to look for that. (I got one with a private bath.) I would come back.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

This and the key policy are the only major drawbacks which you shouldn't endure if you can find better accommodations around the same price.

On the plus side:

The hotel is clean and the staff is nice.

The location is great, especially on the weekends, if you want a quiet atmosphere that's right near Times Square.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Stayed for 4 nights in the Seton hotel NY. Very friendly helpful staff. Clean rooms very modern but comfortable decor. Plenty of really soft pillows. Best sleep ever in a busy city!! 2 great real American diners nearby for fantastic Breakfast. Scottie's was our favorite.

• Stayed May 2014
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

I was there with a companion for only one night, personally I thought though our room was tiny and the bathrooms (very new, very clean at all times I might add) were all the way across the hall, the pluses in my opinion were: it was very clean, coffee was good downstairs in the lounge, clean towels, slippers, hairdryer and robe were abundant, the hotel staff was helpful and courteous, and most important the price was right.. However my companion was not happy about the size of the room, he complained about the shared bathroom, complained about the fact we had to give the keys back to front desk every time we left the hotel's building. So really, it all depends how you see things. If you are an open minded person, by all means this hotel is alright. If you're not up to being chill or adventurous, probably not....

Room Tip: get one closer to the bathrooms!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Seton Hotel? Share your experiences!