“Great location, clean and comfortable. ” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Seton Hotel

You added Seton Hotel to your Saves list
Seton Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   144 East 40th Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #170 of 454 Hotels in New York City
Raynham, Massachusetts
“Great location, clean and comfortable. ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

Great little hotel close to just about everything: Walk to Empire State bldg, Rock Center, Times Square, shopping; 24hr CVS 1 block over. Comfortable beds, clean and updated rooms. Concierge was friendly and helpful. Some rooms have a shared bathroom. Just know to look for that. (I got one with a private bath.) I would come back.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

This and the key policy are the only major drawbacks which you shouldn't endure if you can find better accommodations around the same price.

On the plus side:

The hotel is clean and the staff is nice.

The location is great, especially on the weekends, if you want a quiet atmosphere that's right near Times Square.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Stayed for 4 nights in the Seton hotel NY. Very friendly helpful staff. Clean rooms very modern but comfortable decor. Plenty of really soft pillows. Best sleep ever in a busy city!! 2 great real American diners nearby for fantastic Breakfast. Scottie's was our favorite.

• Stayed May 2014
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

I was there with a companion for only one night, personally I thought though our room was tiny and the bathrooms (very new, very clean at all times I might add) were all the way across the hall, the pluses in my opinion were: it was very clean, coffee was good downstairs in the lounge, clean towels, slippers, hairdryer and robe were abundant, the hotel staff was helpful and courteous, and most important the price was right.. However my companion was not happy about the size of the room, he complained about the shared bathroom, complained about the fact we had to give the keys back to front desk every time we left the hotel's building. So really, it all depends how you see things. If you are an open minded person, by all means this hotel is alright. If you're not up to being chill or adventurous, probably not....

Room Tip: get one closer to the bathrooms!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

We booked 9 nights with the Seton Hotel using Expedia about 6 months before the date of the trip. Naturally, we were anxious about the shared bathroom and I read a heck of a lot of these reviews. On this issue - don't worry about it. Across 9 nights the bathroom was free nearly every time we went to use (only once was it busy, I just went across the hall and used another). They were kept very clean and if it weren't down the hall, you'd think it was your own. It was a bit of a pain to throw something on each time you wanted to pee in the middle of the night but this doesn't seem a big deal overall.

The hotel has a fantastic location, a 2-3 minute walk to Grand Central Terminal (and therefore access to the Subway) with some gorgeous views of the Crystler Building on your way. I cannot stress stress how great the location is enough. For us, this is the main benefit to staying at the Seton Hotel.

The hotel has a somewhat Art Decor theme which looks pretty nice! However, on booking and viewing photos it's clear some rooms are better than others. I e-mailed the manager Leena and politely asked for a room that was in one of their pictures. Leena was very quik with her response and after some initial confusion (she thought I was asking for a free upgrade) she guaranteed the particular room for us. My partner was very pleased as this room looked especially nice and she loves that kind of design. Upon arrival we were put into the wrong room, it was certainly one of their more basic rooms and just isn't what we wanted. I went downstairs to query this, the gentleman at the desk was confused as he was confident we can't ever be guaranteed a room. I wasn't until I showed him the e-mails on my phone that he went to question it. This was also frustrating because I could hear him talking to the manager, forced to play piggy in the middle. If she'd simply walked up to the desk we could have resolved it very quickly. Eventually we were told we could have that room starting the next day, we were not offered any compensation or apology. The next day we were in the right room. The Air Conditioning was extremely loud, much louder than the old room we'd been in and the TV was stuck on demo mode (it would cycle through its features every 5 minutes). I asked them to have a look at it, the lady at the desk actually snapped at us and said "You're not meant to switch them on, they're not on". We said we hadn't been told this and felt rather told off. The next day we were told by two members of staff our "complaint" had been dealt with, but the air con was still really loud, I didn't want the fuss over going down again and I felt too embarrassed to then ask them to look at the TV. We just put up with both issues for the next 8 nights.

The room did look nice though. The side table was so light that opening the door would cause it to topple but apart from previous issues it was nice.

Service was mainly ok (besides the telling off!) like all places some members of staff were better than others (Emanuel is a credit to the establishment!). Cleaning was done each day and done well, they even folded my jeans the day I left them out! On a couple of occasions the staff seemed to hint that our 9 night stay was a little longer than usual and made us feel like we were inconveniencing hem. My partner didn't pick this up but I had more interactions with the staff than her. Personally, I'd look after customer who were staying longer as more could go wrong. One day I was waiting in the lobby and a grumpy lady was complaining about something for no good reason, the guy at the desk put her on a "preferred guest list" from now on. Where was our preferred status? We gave them a heck of a lot of business.

There is a very small elevator that takes far too long to get to you and doesn't comfortably fit more than three people. But this was really more of an annoyance than anything.

The rooms were small, but this was made clear to us when we booked. The beds were tiny though, at 6'3 my feet hung off the end of the bed. The pillows were very small but too thick to stack them up.

Looking back, I'd recommend Seton for a shorter stay. Fantastic for a weekend trip but maybe not for 9 days. There were rooms available that would offer some extra creature comforts such as the private bathroom but in all fairness to the hotel - this was simply a bit out of my price range.

In short - Fantastic location, nice looking hotel, somewhat hit and miss customer service and they would benefit from better organisation. Go for a short stay.

Room Tip: Room 401 has extremely loud Air Con, not normals despite what they say. Ask to see a photo of a room...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Patna, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Nice place for a short visit, very close to UN, service is polite with personal touch, rooms are comfortable, near by eating places serve quality breakfast and lunch. Easily accessible to the
business area

Room Tip: Book in advance, for good rates.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Boca Raton, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

I booked a room 2 months prior to my trip. It was represented as a 300sq room. The room ended up being about 150 sq feet. The front desk agent told me that if I refused the room, they would charge me the 2 nights due to the cancellation policy. I wonder what the misrepresenting policy is.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
leslee60, Owner at Seton Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
So sorry to hear that your room was such a disappointment. I do remember your stay at the Hotel. In as much as we regret that your room did not meet your expectations I wanted to tell you that the room was in fact 250 square feet and was stated as 50 meters which is 250 square feet. When we learned of the discrepancy we did issue a $90 credit to your account immediately. We make every effort to reflect the most accurate information possible on our website and I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Been to Seton Hotel? Share your experiences!