“Great Hotel for Reasonable Rate” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Seton Hotel

You added Seton Hotel to your Saves list
Seton Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   144 East 40th Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Midtown)   |
Ranked #157 of 461 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Saint James, New York
“Great Hotel for Reasonable Rate”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I have stayed at many reasonably priced hotels in Manhattan. Normally they have at least one negative aspect; whether it be poor location or extremely small rooms. The Seton Hotel has a great location provides great service. Overall, the hotel is very clean, well maintained, and nicely decorated, making for a very comfortable stay. It is walking distance to beautiful Bryant Park, a cozy little diner right up the block where we had breakfast, and Grand Central Station. I highly recommend it.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Ulverston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

A friend and I stayed for a week at The Seton. We went on the basis of another friends recommendation. It was fabulous. The advice I got - pay extra and just book a renovated room. So we did and it is more than worth it. We had a double twin room with bathroom - room 609 and it was lovely. Spacious, clean, hot showers and quiet for a good night sleep! The staff were fantastic, lovely little touches of free apples every day, room cleaned and beds made - everything was spotless. I would recommend - and will recommend - it to anyone! Excellent vlaue for money and in a fantastic location in midtown - local restaurant - Blooms - did a cracking breakfast with great service too. I literally cannot praise it enough.

Room Tip: Room 609 was lovely - pay extra for a renovated room!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I was a bit nervous about staying at the hotel considering a couple of mixed reviews and having a "shared bathroom". However, we were completely happy and satisfied with the outcome. We arrived a few hours earlier with the plan to just leave our bags until check-in time, but we were actually able to check in a few hours earlier! The hotel is very nice and modern. As mentioned on other reviews, it is renovated. The staff was very nice and friendly. The hotel room was pretty small (one double bed), but it had just enough space for the two of us. It had a flat screen tv, an ipod dock, a closet, and a personal sink. I personally found it very cute, cozy, clean, and comfortable. It was perfect. As for the bathroom situation, there was no issue with that at all. I actually even wondered if we were really sharing the bathroom as we never came accross anyone else using it. It was personal, clean, and just a few steps down the hall from out room. The hotel is also only 2-3 blocks away from Grand Central, and very close to everything! You have bar two doors down, a chase, starbucks, dunkin donuts, and many other restaurants/delis down the block. Overall, we were completely happy and satisfied with the Seton Hotel. We would definitely stay there again and recommend it to anyone. Totally worth the price!! :D

Room Tip: Do not worry about shared bathroom rooms. It is as if it was in your room, just a few steps down fro...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

A friend and I booked a renovated two double bed room with en suite for a 3-night Christmas in New York trip. We almost relocated our trip to Chicago due to the exorbitant hotel rates in Manhattan. Fortunately, we found The Seton Hotel on TripAdvisor and booked. What a great hotel with great rates! The staff was friendly and helpful. Our room was on the fourth floor. We faced the back and still had some traffic noise but not enough to keep me awake. The hotel has one small funky/fun old style elevator. We never had to wait very long for it and I liked the character. Our room was also directly across from the elevator and once in a while I could hear the door and people coming and going. This didn't keep me awake either. The room was just the right size for the two of us. It was neatly decorated and clean. The bathroom was new, clean and stocked with nice little toiletries (a hair dryer was in the closet in the room). And, the location was fabulous. Our focus was Midtown and we easily walked everywhere. Though, one day we went downtown using the subway and the proximity to Grand Central was helpful. I even liked the free machine coffee/espresso that was available off the lobby 24/7. My only gripe is that there should be another mirror in the room, perhaps a full length one, instead of just one in the bathroom. (Women traveling together will appreciate this!) if I have the pleasure of returning to NYC anytime in the near future, I will definitely return to the Seton Hotel. I hope they are able to stay affordable and keep up the good job.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I booked the Seton Hotel for my husband and I as well as for my parents. The night before we left as I was printing documents for check-in and what not I noticed that I had booked two rooms on that had shared bathrooms. I freaked out a bit! When the four of us arrived we were apprehensive about the whole sharing bathrooms with other guests things. We worried for nothing. Not once did any of us have to wait to use the restroom or to shower. The hotel was extremely clean and well kept. Many rooms have recently been updated and were quite delightful. The front desk staff was so helpful. As we were worrying about sharing bathrooms they checked to see if they could move us to different rooms. In the end we decided just to stay in our original rooms. All in all it was a great deal and face it, you don't go to NYC to hang out in the hotel, for sleeping it was perfect! Oh, and if you go, check our Scotty's Diner on Lexington. Yum!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed at the seton the for a weekend in NYC it was perfect! Located perfectly in midtown 2 -3 blocks away from central station. The empire state building was nothing more than a 10 minute walk as well as time square and Rockefeller center. I was at first a bit worried since I booked a double on the fourth floor with shared bathrooms but it was not a problem they were always kept clean! The front desk staff was extremely helpful! This is gonna be my go to hotel from now on.
Ana

• Stayed November 2012
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Not sure where to begin, REALLY! The location is nothing short of AMAZING! The staff makes it EVEN BETTER. The facility is spotless and fresh! I had a group with five rooms -EVERYONE WAS ECSTATIC! Every request (and we are a demanding lot) was met with PROMPT, PERSONAL SERVICE! The place is 5+ stars at a 2 star price. Can't say enough about this WONDERFULLY UNDERSTATED ELEGANT HOME-AWAY-FROM-HOME! Thanks to everyone at the SETON to making me look good to all my traveling friends before our cruise.

Room Tip: Tell the desk what you want and leave everything to them!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Seton Hotel? Share your experiences!