“Stay Away!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Milburn Hotel

You added The Milburn Hotel to your Saves list
The Milburn Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   242 West 76th Street, New York City, NY 10023 (Upper West Side)   |
Ranked #168 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Los Angeles, California
“Stay Away!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

There are numerous reviews on this site accusing the Milburn of "bait and switch" tactics, but I stupidly decided to ignore those reviews and focus on the positive ones. I needed to be in the hotel's Upper West Side neighborhood and the price was reasonable.

I reserved my "remodeled, upper floor" room from Expedia, where I unfortunately paid for my six nights in advance. My daughter and I arrived at the hotel, bone tired at about 11 PM, and were tossed a key to room 103. I told the desk person that I'd reserved an upper level room, but was told that "we never sell our upper level rooms on Expedia." Of course I phoned Expedia (who concurred that I had, in fact paid for a "remodeled, upper floor room"). Expedia phoned the desk clerk, who said that he couldn't do anything and that we all needed to convene in the morning to include the manager in this discussion.

At 1AM, my daughter and I finally gave in and retired to room 103, a dank and smelly dungeon directly behind the reception desk, where the ringing phone, floor polisher in the lobby and opening and closing of the elevator kept us awake all night. At 8:30 AM, I met with the manager, Mr. Albert Mason, who informed me that it was common practice for the hotel booking companies to misrepresent and that, take it or leave it, we were in room 103.

Expedia's people (eventually a supervisor at their corporate office) tried to reason with Mr. Mason. He wouldn't budge. He had my money and the rest be damned.

Despite having prepaid, I left the hotel and went elsewhere. Wasted the best part of a day arguing with this idiot and am pursuing legal recourse with a number of New York agencies.

Given the choice of staying at the Milburn or staying home, I'd recommend the latter.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
mlburnhotel, Owner at The Milburn Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
April 23, 2013

We read your review with concern about its innaccuracies and tone, contrasted with the overwealmingly positive reviews the Milburn consistently receives. We do not "bait and switch", and did not handle your reservation, which was made through Expedia, whom you paid, not the hotel, and thus was responsible for any refund request.
We note that you are a former guest, having booked directly with us several times before, staying in Superior suites on the 4th, 5th, 6th and 14th floors, and are sorry you experienced this problem. We understand your frustration, but have no contol over bookings made through a site such as Expedia/Hotels.com, and that evidently gave you the wrong information. We do not use the terminology "remodeled upper floor room" to describe any of our rooms, and do not know who represented them in that fashion. Had you inquired of us, we would have been able to give you proper quidance.
You evidently enjoyed our hotel enough to visit us again. However, on this occasion we are sorry you did not call us. It appears that you booked a "standard junior suite" through Expedia, all of which are located on the first floor only, and were given room 103 - a very popular but economy room. When you arrived, you requested room 1102, which was not the category Expedia reserved for you. Nevertheless, Mr. Mason, the assistent manager, because you were a "favored return guest", sought to find you an alternate in the Superior category (available only on our website or by phone).but because the hotel was fully booked that weekend, no other room was availabe to accomodate your request, even at the higher rate for the Superior category. It is unfortunate that we were unable to rectify the situation, and hope you will return again by booking directly.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I've been there for 5 days in April 2013 and that was my second time there. I had the room on second floor, so the views were not so good as the last time, when I got the 7th floor room. But the advantage was that I didn't have to spend to much time in the elevator. I was usually outside during my stay in NY, so that was not a real disadvantage. Anyway the room was very large, cleaned every day and the bed was comfortable. There is an AC in the room as well as the small kitchenette, which in fact I didn't have the chances to use. The bathroom was a little bit to small, but the building is very old, so I presume that it is a standard in this kind of architecture. The wi-fi worked perfectly. The location of Milburn hotel (76th Street) is great. Just 5 minutes from the Subway on the 72th Street (lines 1 - local, 2,3 - express), or 3-4 minutes from 79th street (line 1). There is a grocery Fairways just half a minute on the Broadway Street on the right from the hotel or West Side Market, just on the left from the 76th street. You need 15 minutes to reach Central Park or half an hour to go on foot to see Times Square. The continental breakfast was OK, fresh apples and bananas, yogurts, orange juice etc. There is luggage storage useful when you have to leave the hotel in the afternoon and check out earlier. The staff is very helpful, so don't hesitate to ask whatever you want. I would truly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Silverdale, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

My family stayed at The Milburn Hotel for 4 nights in August, 2012. We were quite pleased with our stay there! We have 5 people and got a suite with a bedroom with 2 queen beds, a livingroom with a hide-a-bed, a teeny kitchen, 2 closets in the bedroom and a small, but very doable, bathroom, for a very good price compared to surrounding Hotels. We love where the Hotel is situated, especially since we planned to walk everywhere! It was hot and humid out and the air-conditioned rooms were such a relief to come back to! Loved the location on a quiter street and close to Central Park, a subway station, markets, Museums, and we even walked to Time's Square and back twice! The staff was very pleasant and helpful! One elevator was newly renovated and very nice. The other elevator wasn't so nice, but still worked fine! The room was old, and could use some finishing touches, but we appreciated the comfortable beds (although the hide-away wasn't so comfy), tv and free wi-fi! We were on the 6th floor backed up to a residential street, and were pleasantly surprised at how quiet it was! My only suggestion for The Milburn? Make a larger room for breakfast! The continental breakfast was very good, but one morning we waited for about 30 minutes to get in....... minor inconvenience. I think it's a GREAT value and we'd definitely stay there again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Akron, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The Milburn is a real secret in NYC. An older building with a lot of character. The rooms and baths vary in size, a bit dated but clean. The staff is fantastic. Nice breakfast. Out of the tourist crowd, but only a short walk or subway ride to everything. We bring all of our friends here. We have stayed here for many years, it feels like home. Kitchenette is a bonus.

Room Tip: Have not had a bad room in over 10 years.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I was on a road trip with my daughter looking at potential colleges for my oldest granddaughter This is the hotel that she and her husband always stay in when they are in NYC. It allowed me to take the subway to Time Square without getting lost or turned-around. This was a great accomplishment for me since I took the younger ganddaughter with me. The hotel is quaint, staff was wonderful. They do have a small breakfast for hotel guests that is very adequate. I would definitely stay there if I was ever in NYC for a weekend.

Room Tip: There is no pool, exercise room, or restrauarnt in this hotel.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

With our four children in tow to the Big Apple, finding a hotel room to comfortably and affordably accommodate the six of us was going to be a challenge. The Milburn Hotel kept coming up in my hotel searches. Knowing from previous experience that hotel rooms in NYC tend to be postage stamp sized, I wasn't holding my breath for much more than that. The room we got had a nice sized living room with a pull out bed, dining table, desk and even a tiny kitchen equipped with a mini coffee maker, mini fridge, microwave and sink. The bedroom had two comfortable full beds, two closets and a tiny bathroom. The hotel does feel outdated and old, but for the price of this room ($299 a night) which includes a continental breakfast each morning (coffee, juice, fruit, bagels,muffins and mini cereal boxes) in a safe, quiet neighborhood in Manhattan, I feel like I hit the jackpot! Even better is than that is the helpfulness and kindness of the staff here. My 4 year old ending up throwing up in the middle of the night (too many Twizzlers at the Broadway play, "Cinderella"..by the way, AWESOME play!) and when we called for new sheets, the staff was not only at our door in 5 minutes to take them away, but encouraged me follow her to their laundry room to wash my son's blanket and pjs before they started their normal hotel laundry for the day, so he could have his blanket back to him ASAP!! Seriously, when you find yourself in little unexpected circumstances like that, the thoughtfulness of others really makes an impact on your perception of the place. We will definitely be back!

Albany, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I recently stayed for 2 nights when I was in NYC to attend some continuing education. I chose the hotel primarily because of the location (upper west side & quiet). There were a lot of things I really liked about this place - the beds were very comfortable (and the bedding very nice quality); the rooms were surprisingly spacious & very clean; small kitchenette; lots of mirrors; the staff was really nice & helpful; the continental breakfast was decent; and the price was affordable for NYC. The only things I didn't like was the weak water pressure in the shower (not a deal breaker, however) & the hallways smelled a little funky. If you want fancy, this isn't it; but all-in-all it was an enjoyable experience, and I will be staying there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Milburn Hotel? Share your experiences!