“Not a convention hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Incentra Village House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Incentra Village House
32 Eighth Ave., New York City, NY 10014 (Manhattan)   |
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Not a convention hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Enjoyed our stay at the Incentra Village House. We were given the Stable Room which has alot of character. The bed was comfortable and the room spacious. What a great location...right in the Village and close to Metro lines. Our room faced 8th ave however was relatively quiet...room well insulated. Why not excellent? Coffee makers are provided however there is no coffee...bring your own. Also upon making our reservation via phone we were not told that there was major construction going on right in front of our room and a "oh, by the way, the water will be shut off tomorrow morning at 8". I understand Incentra had no control over this however it did affect our visit. Would I stay here again or recommend them? Yes!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

82 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

This is right on the edge of Greenwich Village. Its clean, fun and slightly quirky place, but excellent value for Manhattan. My room was two floors below ground, yes its possible. It was stinking hot in NYC that week, so quite a good place to be until it rained very heavily and the room had a minor flood. All cleared up and coped with by the efficient staff before I got back. Would I go back? Yes cheerfully.

Room Tip: Stonewall is well below ground but a large comfortable room, cool in summer.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

This is a nice place in a great location. It's got personality, like the rest of the neighborhood, and that's a refreshing change from corporate cubicle hotels (if you're into that). But the best part is the personal service. My girlfriend and I arrived at 10 AM on a rainy Friday morning after a sleepless red-eye flight; since check-in isn't until 2 PM, we were going to drop off our bags and stumble around for a few hours. Upon arriving, it turned out that they had our room all ready for us, "because it's raining." We were able to catch up on sleep and have a great night. That kind of personal care is invaluable, at least to me.

The IVH is comfortable; it's like staying a someone's house. The room we had included a small kitchen and a patio: both came in handy. The staff was, without fail, courteous and professional, while still making us feel at home. Overall it was a great experience, and a place we always looked forward to coming home to. Would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: The Garden Room has a quiet patio. Great for smokers.
Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Kuwait City, Kuwait
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Like my husband, I enjoyed my stay there.
The location deserves 5 star for me for the reasons so many people mention.
As for the place, it was what we were expecting. It is reasonably well kept but it is an old property so don't expect cool boutique chic. It does look like the pictures if a bit shabbier, but it's got charm. No complaints about the service or the staff: the rooms were cleaned everyday and everybody was friendly and helpful. Yes, you can pay a bit more and get something with more modern facilities? Possibly, if that's what you want.
Some noise from other floors and from the street as you would expect. We were there during a heat wave and we found we couldn't sleep and keep the A/C unit on, as it was too noisy. If I were to stay there again I'd try to book a room on one of the top floors.
By the way, no problem to get a taxi just outside the door at 5.30 in the morning to take us to the airport.

Room Tip: Higher floors may be less noisy. Ask them about the different options.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Kuwait City, Kuwait
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

My wife and I stayed 7 nights here. Amazing location away from the mass of tourists. Felt like being at home. Charming rooms, good facilities. Helpful, friendly service. Preferred 'Washington' Room to 'Gaylord' as the latter was basement/ground floor and the former 2nd floor with great views onto and across the street. I would probably have given 4.5 if it had been an option - old aircon units a bit noisy but that's minor really. we walked so much through the city that we slept ok.
Loved the little kitchen and the chance to walk through the village for some fresh pastries to have with coffee and juice in the room - meant we were not outside all our waking hours.
We can't fathom some of the negative comments here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Incentra Village recently and found it to be a lovely and charming retreat in a beautiful, historic part of the West Village. After running around all day in the busy city, we felt, upon coming back to our 'home base', that we had entered a quiet, stress-free zone. Our room was old-fashioned and yet well kept. We appreciated a nice view of the garden below. Our bed was clean and comfortable. Upon arrival we were welcomed by the friendly staff, who greeted us warmly as we came and went and always asked if everything was ok with the room. We plan to book again when we return to New York in the fall. We have noted with dismay a few negative reviews and honestly cannot understand what prompted these, other than that some people will find fault with anything and anyone. We recommend this most highly!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Österreich
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I stayed in Incentra Village House before and I always recommended it to friends who asked me where to stay in New York. But it seems to have changed. Apparently they don't seem to care about this wonderful building in this great neighbourhood anymore: Dirty, dusty, verminously and run down. Tattered lamp shades, malfunctioning lights, jammed door locks and windows,... But the saddest part is the unprofessional way the management handles customer complaints: Screaming and shouting and swearing and accusing is not a way to treat a dissatisfied guest. So the management seems to be the root of the problem and I can just hope that this wonderful old house will soon be in someone's hands who cares about the place and about the guests. The only chance I see for Incentra Village house. I am very disappointed and sad that I have to say: Stay away from this place!

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Incentra Village House, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Repeatedly asked during their stay of how they are doing, these guests always replied with a smile, "just fine." At checkout, (which is very generously at noon, and not 10 am as in some hotels) these guests came to the front desk ranting and screaming that their lock had broke during their stay and that there had been a bug in their bathroom. Our charming guest house is just that, a house, and not a hotel. Who hasn't had a lock break in their home? Who hasn't had the occasional water bug or spider in their bathroom? The lock was fixed within 45 minutes, and the guests themselves disposed of the bug.

Photos of all rooms are displayed on our web site. The layout of the room these guests were in is clear. I don't know how these returning guests to Incentra could have thought the room they chose this time was different than what the photos show?

All rooms are well cleaned before check-in and maintained during a guest's stay. As always, all of our guests are strongly encouraged to voice any concern they may have to the front desk during their stay, as opposed to after, so we can help make their stay as enjoyable as possible.

Jeff Pica
Manager

Been to Incentra Village House? Share your experiences!