“Great location when traveling on a budget..” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Americana Inn

Save Saved
You added Americana Inn to your Saves list
Americana Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   69 West 38th Street, New York City, NY 10018 (Garment District)   |
Ranked #350 of 452 hotels in New York City
Chicago, Illinois
“Great location when traveling on a budget..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was traveling for business and was on a very tight budget, so I found this hotel with a good rate. Location is really great, about 4 blocks from Grand Terminal and close to all things in Manhattan. If you plan to spend no time in the hotel but want to have a clean, neat room in a very basic hotel this could be a good option. Wifi in rooms is not good at all, I was never able to connect, apparently the lobby was the place to do it, I didn't try that. It's Manhattan so yes it will be noisy but not to bad. Staff was friendly, again a very very basic alternative for a place to sleep but it works. I cannot say enough about the great location.

Room Tip: My room face the street, and it was just fine.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

471 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I booked this hotel by mistake and didn't notice that it was shared bathrooms. That said, The service from staff was fine, the room size ok, the bed comfortable, the TV and provision of towels and consumables was fine also. The biggest issue with this hotel was the noise from the street below (only single glazing) and the smell from the cleaning fluid used on the vinyl floors throughout the hotel. The biggest single improvement would be the provision of carpet which would remove the smell, be warmer quieter and more welcoming. In summary a basic hotel at a rasonable cost but not for me again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Haugesund, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This hotel does not have many facilities. There is no fridge in your room, you have to share bathroom, and they do not serve food. That does not matter at all!!!

The hotel was totally clean, the room were more than sufficient, and you will find Bryant Marked, McDonald, Starbucks and others on the same block.

The staff are great, they helped me with everything I needed, like scanning and mailing me documents, helping me with the pay phone, and helping me to charge my cell phone, including the staff wanting to lend me his own, personal charger.
They did a great job telling me about things to do in New York, and in giving me directions to find them. The reception is open 24/7.

A couple of blocks away from the hotel, you will find Bryant Park, which is very nice, three/ four blocks away you find Time Square/ Broadway, and four blocks from the hotel in the other direction you will find the Empire State Building.

This hotel has no luxury, but if you want a charming hotel at a reasonable price, this is the one for you. I will certainly go back.

Room Tip: We had a corner room on the first floor, and we loved it! We had great view of the street, even if t...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

The worst inn i have ever laid my head in! No washcloths were left for use and bathroom towels look worst than my own home towels; they had threading hanging from them, proving that the use for them is only for the floors. Let's not forget to mention there are shared bathrooms with about 5 rooms to a bathroom! There are no robes in the closet and the bathroom is literally next to the elevator! The person at the front desk was a weirdo and he stared at my id trying to guess my age for a good 3mins unstead of just asking me. The elevators can only hold 2 people and its claustrophobic. There is one shared kitchenette for the entire floor, meaning whatever you put in the fridge is assumed to be shared. Someone stole my soda and one of my apple sauces without a care. The bedspread and picture frame are completely outdated and I find it foolish that the rooms have a closet and sink as opposed to an area that should've been designated with your own mini fridge and microwave. Why is it that I can wash my hands in the room but I can't shower in the room! The shower has no running hot water so washing at the sink is the only option! The bathroom however feels more comfortable than the actually room....unbelievable! Staying here is worst than staying in a dorm. I wouldn't stay here if it was the last available place to sleep. This should be shut down! Don't come here. ....EVER!!!!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

What do you call a step down from a hotel and a step up from a hostel? At about $100 a night it is affordable for this area of Manhattan. Great location, small room but clean and convenient.
The listing I saw mentioned shared bathrooms, so there was no surprise. Of course the rooms are tiny, but again this is budget lodging. If you want more comfort, expect to pay true NYC prices; the Marriott around the corner on 6th Ave is twice the price.

Room Tip: Do not take a room immediately next to the bathroom- can be high traffic area, plus the pipes are no...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I'll keep this short and sweet... Pay more and stay somewhere else! The rooms have no room to move, stayed in a double room and could barely move between the beds, closet door wouldn't open all the way and while a suitcase rack is nice in the closet, the suitcase wouldn't even fit through the door to get on it... Hear every single sound from the street, and halls... elevator is tiny to say the least, and 3 people with luggage was tight... Desk clerks are not welcoming at all, no friendliness or willing to even acknowledge your presence... Shared bathrooms suck, didn't feel comfortable showering when the lock and door felt weak... rooms are cheap vinyl tiling on the floors that looked old and nasty... Electrical plug hanging out of wall... TV cut out every few minutes and sucked... Beds are hard as rocks. And the linen felt dirty.. I felt uncomfortable the entire time, didn't like leaving anything in the room, didn't take socks off or walk barefoot even in the room... Wireless internet reception is terrible, asked clerk for password and while he did give it to us, he informed us it only worked on the second floor... (We stayed on the 4th floor) Door to street is on a buzzer, but doesn't latch securely and found it open several times upon return... Ring buzzer to enter, but the clerks don't seem to really care who they are buzzing in... Entry way is tight and grungy and it's either up the stairs to front desk, or the frightening and tiny elevator... While we figured, as long as there's a bed, we won't be spending much time in the room and can at least get sleep... Wrong! Between the noise, and uncomfortable feeling, mixed with the feeling of dirt and grime (I felt dirtier every time I stepped foot in the room...) It's a very small step above a hostel or even a bench in the airport...

Spend a little more, and stay somewhere nice... If it's the location you like, pay a little more and stay a little further from time square... You'll be glad you did and appreciate the extra walk... From the moment I stepped in the room, I couldn't wait to go back to the airport and go home... TERRIBLE!!!! I don't even want to give it a 1 star... It doesn't doesn't deserve it.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

This hotel is exactly what it is billed to be. There are shared bathrooms (as they specify), and the rooms are not enormously big. But it's good value for the price. We found it to be very clean, efficiently run and very conveniently located, with views of 6th avenue out of our room. The rooms have basin and running water which is very useful, but the toilet and shower/bath are shared. The staff were friendly and helpful. Overall, don't book this hotel expecting a highly luxurious and plush city experience. This hotel is down-to-earth, good value, clean and decent.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Americana Inn? Share your experiences!