“Pleasant and convenient” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Americana Inn

Save Saved
You added Americana Inn to your Saves list
Americana Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   69 West 38th Street, New York City, NY 10018 (Garment District)   |
Ranked #350 of 453 Hotels in New York City
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Pleasant and convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

This hotel is exactly what it is billed to be. There are shared bathrooms (as they specify), and the rooms are not enormously big. But it's good value for the price. We found it to be very clean, efficiently run and very conveniently located, with views of 6th avenue out of our room. The rooms have basin and running water which is very useful, but the toilet and shower/bath are shared. The staff were friendly and helpful. Overall, don't book this hotel expecting a highly luxurious and plush city experience. This hotel is down-to-earth, good value, clean and decent.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Polish first
Gold Coast, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014 via mobile

Shared bathrooms... Yuk. Small dingy rooms with uncomfortable bed... Loud through your window... No hand soap provided in your room basin... Not what we excepted. It's an ok location however don't expect to be able to do any laundry. There is nothing around! And nothing set up in this odd smelling hostel. Went from the Monte Carlo in Vegas to this. Whoa. And even though I knew we weren't staying in luxury, I didn't think it would be this uncomfortable... If I paid only around $300-$500 I would of had luxury! Think about that. Pay a bit more and enjoy your holiday! This place disappointed me... I write this as I lye on the bed needing to go to the shared bathroom. Gross.

• Stayed May 2014

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Accra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

As part of my recent vacation in the United States, I stayed for three nights (14th – 17th April) at Americana Inn with my wife.
It took some time for the cab driver to convince us that we had arrived at the hotel – the signage was not too obvious and nothing from the outside will pass the place for a hotel! To be sure we were in the right place, I asked my wife to wait downstairs while I went up the stairs to confirm. Oh yes; I was in the right place and the amiable receptionist was quick to confirm my reservation even as I left to call my wife.
My seemingly disappointment downstairs vanished quickly as I interacted with the receptionist and he showed us to our room. He even volunteered to give us a more spacious room!

The hotel is neat, affordable and centrally located. The location particularly met our expectation. My wife wanted a place from where she could dash out each morning for shopping while I go out for sight-seeing and the location was just perfect for both.
For hotels in its category and in New York (and the choice location), Americana Inn is readily recommended.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

Value for price excellent. You have a personal safe in your room, the midtown location is close to EVERYTHING on foot or if you're lazy to subways. Theres no wifi above 2nd floor so don't get your hopes up, but there are a thousand hotspots everywhere else. You will get used to the traffic noise if you face 6th avenue.

For a 4 day stay to chill back and visit new york, youve found an affordable and comfortable bed.

• Stayed April 2014
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

My new husband and myself visited New York for the first time and stayed at the Americana inn for 4 nights. We were given room 511. The location is conveniently located a stones throw from the battery park subway station, is less than a 10min walk to Times Square and broadway and less than 5 min walk away from the Empire State Building. The building is secured with a buzz in door and lift access. The cleaners are pretty thorough. The shared bathrooms were cleaned daily. The walls are thick enough not to hear voices in the next room, but not thick enough to block the sound of closing cupboards, shifting of luggage and closing doors. This noise however is nothing compared to the street noise. Being on the top floor, we could still easily hear the taxi beeping and sirens outside and my husband had even commented, is the window open?, when it was very securely closed lol. The additional a/c unit was not working as we required extra warmth in addition to the central heating (we are from Australia where we are used to warm weather ) so we requested for attention to this by phone at night and then in person the following morning. Later that day when we returned, the room was more than warm. The service received was not the most friendly, but was more than satisfactory. We would highly recommend this hotel for its location and if you are not a light sleeper :)

Stayed March 2014
haldia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

The hotel met all our expectations. Our expectations were best location and americana inn is possibly the best hotel in the budget hotel class. It is near to the empire state building and times square.

Room Tip: Prefer rooms in the 4th floor and 5th floor
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

There is nothing particularly wrong with this place, but there's nothing really to shout about with it either! The location is good, the service was adequate and it's cheap. On the flip side, I've stayed in hostels all round the world and I didn't really like this place, it's in dire need of a refurb, plug sockets hanging off the wall, uncomfortable beds, horrible tiled floors etc! But let's face it, you're not going to NYC to sit in your hotel room all day! I know you can't expect the Ritz in NYC for £50 a night, but compared to the second place we stayed in NYC for £56 a night, this ended up looking like poor value for money! If you are just looking for the cheapest place possible that's clean and in a good location this will definitely suffice, but worth looking for deals on other hotels instead.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Americana Inn? Share your experiences!