“Well Situated” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #360 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Accra
“Well Situated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

As part of my recent vacation in the United States, I stayed for three nights (14th – 17th April) at Americana Inn with my wife.
It took some time for the cab driver to convince us that we had arrived at the hotel – the signage was not too obvious and nothing from the outside will pass the place for a hotel! To be sure we were in the right place, I asked my wife to wait downstairs while I went up the stairs to confirm. Oh yes; I was in the right place and the amiable receptionist was quick to confirm my reservation even as I left to call my wife.
My seemingly disappointment downstairs vanished quickly as I interacted with the receptionist and he showed us to our room. He even volunteered to give us a more spacious room!

The hotel is neat, affordable and centrally located. The location particularly met our expectation. My wife wanted a place from where she could dash out each morning for shopping while I go out for sight-seeing and the location was just perfect for both.
For hotels in its category and in New York (and the choice location), Americana Inn is readily recommended.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

Value for price excellent. You have a personal safe in your room, the midtown location is close to EVERYTHING on foot or if you're lazy to subways. Theres no wifi above 2nd floor so don't get your hopes up, but there are a thousand hotspots everywhere else. You will get used to the traffic noise if you face 6th avenue.

For a 4 day stay to chill back and visit new york, youve found an affordable and comfortable bed.

• Stayed April 2014
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

My new husband and myself visited New York for the first time and stayed at the Americana inn for 4 nights. We were given room 511. The location is conveniently located a stones throw from the battery park subway station, is less than a 10min walk to Times Square and broadway and less than 5 min walk away from the Empire State Building. The building is secured with a buzz in door and lift access. The cleaners are pretty thorough. The shared bathrooms were cleaned daily. The walls are thick enough not to hear voices in the next room, but not thick enough to block the sound of closing cupboards, shifting of luggage and closing doors. This noise however is nothing compared to the street noise. Being on the top floor, we could still easily hear the taxi beeping and sirens outside and my husband had even commented, is the window open?, when it was very securely closed lol. The additional a/c unit was not working as we required extra warmth in addition to the central heating (we are from Australia where we are used to warm weather ) so we requested for attention to this by phone at night and then in person the following morning. Later that day when we returned, the room was more than warm. The service received was not the most friendly, but was more than satisfactory. We would highly recommend this hotel for its location and if you are not a light sleeper :)

Stayed March 2014
haldia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

The hotel met all our expectations. Our expectations were best location and americana inn is possibly the best hotel in the budget hotel class. It is near to the empire state building and times square.

Room Tip: Prefer rooms in the 4th floor and 5th floor
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

There is nothing particularly wrong with this place, but there's nothing really to shout about with it either! The location is good, the service was adequate and it's cheap. On the flip side, I've stayed in hostels all round the world and I didn't really like this place, it's in dire need of a refurb, plug sockets hanging off the wall, uncomfortable beds, horrible tiled floors etc! But let's face it, you're not going to NYC to sit in your hotel room all day! I know you can't expect the Ritz in NYC for £50 a night, but compared to the second place we stayed in NYC for £56 a night, this ended up looking like poor value for money! If you are just looking for the cheapest place possible that's clean and in a good location this will definitely suffice, but worth looking for deals on other hotels instead.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hamden, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I stayed here for one night as I needed to book a cheap place fast and at the last minute.
Check in was quick and easy. The room was clean and pretty big. The bathroom was a good size as well. Checkout was fast.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Cannes, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

HOTEL: Now... this is NOT the Ritz! As usual, you get what you pay for, and this is a hostel-style hotel, where you'll stay in a miniscule room with in-room sink. Shared bathroom/toilet on same floor. But within its category, there is nothing to complain about. The beds were comfortable, fresh linens, everything in room and shared bathroom was perfectly clean. That's all one can expect and that was delivered.

LOCATION: There's always two sides to one coin. The hotel is in just about the best possible location for exploring Manhattan. Just a few footsteps from Times Square / Penn Station / 5th Avenue... can't beat that! But of course, the price you pay for that is noise, day and night, and it never stops. Traffic and sirens can be heard through the closed windows, but OK. However, if you like the windows open during the night, you better be a sound sleeper, because there's a LOT of noise! ALL IN ALL: Considering hotel rates in Manhattan, this hotel is definitely a good deal.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Americana Inn? Share your experiences!