“$90 Thanksgiving Weekend ... Midtown Manhattan ... Clean. You Really Can't Ask For More.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Americana Inn

Save Saved
You added Americana Inn to your Saves list
Americana Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   69 West 38th Street, New York City, NY 10018 (Garment District)   |
Ranked #346 of 446 hotels in New York City
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Uhhh ... "Kelly R" from New Jersey, your fiance lied to you. "[A]lmost $300 for one night" is more than the rack rate for this establishment. Maybe something you want to keep in mind before you walk down the aisle with Mr. Moneybags.

We stayed Fri and Sat night after Thanksgiving and FOR THE PRICE, this place cannot be beaten. It's clean and mere blocks from Times Square, Herald Square, The Empire State Building, & Rockefeller Center. And if you want to go elsewhere, multiple subway lines are nearby.

Something that wasn't clear to my wife -- yes, you'll be sharing a bathroom with other guests but the bathrooms themselves are private baths. It's not like a gym or your college dorm. There are a number of full, private baths with locking doors on each floor. The hotel was fully booked the weekend we were there. Nonetheless, the bathroom a few short steps from our room (#515) was always available (and spotlessly clean). Also, you'll have a sink in your room ... which brings me to my only complaint about our entire stay, the water pressure on the 5th (i.e., top) floor is poor.

Three different people worked the front desk during our stay and we had a short conversation with our housekeeper. All were very nice. Yes, the walls are thin so if you're unlucky enough to stay near loud people ... put in the ear plugs you were smart enough to bring with you!

If you've read this far, you'll likely be surprised to hear that we'll most likely choose a hotel with bathrooms en suite for our next stay. This place is honestly a great deal but now that we're in our 30s ... errr ... 40s, my wife and I realize that paying the extra freight for your own bathroom is worth it. For you whipper-snappers, go for it!

Final thought, I've read in other reviews that the front desk is sometimes slow to buzz you through the front door. That wasn't our experience, although we returned after 1 a.m. Friday night and after midnight Saturday night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the quiet side of the building. We stayed in #515. Zero view but don't forge...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

532 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Polish first
North Brunswick, New Jersey, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Me and my fiancée stayed one night and we couldn't have checked out faster.....They have communal bathrooms which no where on their website indicates this! My fiancée paid almost $300 for one night. If you are okay with 80 square foot room with paper thin walls, a full size bed, a lavy, a roll of toilet paper, 2 plastic cups, 1 towel, a noisey a/c, a 19" flat screen tv that only get 3 channels, then I would say "by all means book". WORST EXPERIENCE EVER. Def gives of the "hostel" vibe.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Americana Inn is a great find. We have never stayed where we had to share bathrooms but it was not problem at all. There seem to be quite a few bathrooms dotted around each floor. The location is fantastic and about 20 minutes walk to Time Square which you don't notice as there is so much to see along the way. There are a few subway stations near by too.

the hotel also has an extensive room service menu with local places that you can order 24 hours. If you want to be in the heart of Manhattan you can't go wrong with this place for value.

Room Tip: If you are light sleeper you may find it hard to sleep, the air conditioner is a whole in the wall...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
New York, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

Avoid if you can.
1. It's cheap but I wouldn't say it's a hotel. More like a youth hostel.
2. It has very small rooms with thin walls. Our neighbors were very amorous the night we stayed there.
3. The lobby and rooms are clean.
4. I think it has permanent residents because a homeless looking man staying there leered at me like I moved into the wrong neighborhood.
5. The air conditioner is bolted to the window which blocks the exit to the fire escape. Very safe.

• Stayed October 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

This is a hostel not a hotel that feels like it used to be a hospital. THERE ARE NO PRIVATE BATHROOMS. when we booked online it didn't indicate anywhere that there was shared bathrooms. The rooms are small but no big deal. Location is fantastic. They SHUT OFF THE WATER during our stay an hour before check in without telling us. It is extremely loud, if your a light sleeper forget about it. Everything is of poor quality. Poorly maintained but they do a decent cleaning job. All the employees seem unhappy. Worst thing is I think I found a CAMERA inside the tv that was carved in and installed. I had to hang a jacket over the TV. I am not 100% sure if it was recording but the place is so sketchy so who knows. Worst experience I ever had, I cancelled my other two nights and went up the street to a 4 star hotel for $40 more per night

• Stayed October 2013
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Location is really good and that's just about it. The hotel is not well-maintained as the windows are dirty, some of the tiles are cracked/peeling, etc. They sometimes forget to clean the area under the bed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Zürich
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The location of the hotel is great, easy to walk for all Times Square, Broadway, 5th Avenue and other attractions. It felt safe and friendly and the rooms and bathrooms were clean (but not spotless).
I was under the impression that I booked a room with a bathroom, but there was none. However, there were enough bathrooms available, it was not a major problem for us.
The major problem was that the rooms are extremely noisy, there is no isolation at all, it feels like sleeping on a highway!
Price-wise I simply wonder who makes the millions with such a property. Very few employees, and surely not well paid, and the prices you pay are just outrageous! Value for money very poor.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Americana Inn? Share your experiences!