“5 Important Points - One step above a Youth Hostel at 10 times the price with Communal Bathrooms” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Americana Inn

You added Americana Inn to your Saves list
Americana Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   69 West 38th Street, New York City, NY 10018 (Garment District)   |
Ranked #365 of 454 Hotels in New York City
New York, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

Avoid if you can.
1. It's cheap but I wouldn't say it's a hotel. More like a youth hostel.
2. It has very small rooms with thin walls. Our neighbors were very amorous the night we stayed there.
3. The lobby and rooms are clean.
4. I think it has permanent residents because a homeless looking man staying there leered at me like I moved into the wrong neighborhood.
5. The air conditioner is bolted to the window which blocks the exit to the fire escape. Very safe.

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

This is a hostel not a hotel that feels like it used to be a hospital. THERE ARE NO PRIVATE BATHROOMS. when we booked online it didn't indicate anywhere that there was shared bathrooms. The rooms are small but no big deal. Location is fantastic. They SHUT OFF THE WATER during our stay an hour before check in without telling us. It is extremely loud, if your a light sleeper forget about it. Everything is of poor quality. Poorly maintained but they do a decent cleaning job. All the employees seem unhappy. Worst thing is I think I found a CAMERA inside the tv that was carved in and installed. I had to hang a jacket over the TV. I am not 100% sure if it was recording but the place is so sketchy so who knows. Worst experience I ever had, I cancelled my other two nights and went up the street to a 4 star hotel for $40 more per night

• Stayed October 2013

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Location is really good and that's just about it. The hotel is not well-maintained as the windows are dirty, some of the tiles are cracked/peeling, etc. They sometimes forget to clean the area under the bed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Zürich
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The location of the hotel is great, easy to walk for all Times Square, Broadway, 5th Avenue and other attractions. It felt safe and friendly and the rooms and bathrooms were clean (but not spotless).
I was under the impression that I booked a room with a bathroom, but there was none. However, there were enough bathrooms available, it was not a major problem for us.
The major problem was that the rooms are extremely noisy, there is no isolation at all, it feels like sleeping on a highway!
Price-wise I simply wonder who makes the millions with such a property. Very few employees, and surely not well paid, and the prices you pay are just outrageous! Value for money very poor.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I spent hours trying to find a good cheap place to stay in NY. There were 2 of us and we didn't really care where we stayed as long as the location was good. We could not have been happier! This place worked out cheaper than most of the hostels and was in the perfect location, literally around the corner from Times Square. The rooms had there own basin and mirror and were an ok size. The double bed was quite cosy but was comfortable. It is shared bathrooms but not once did I have to wait for the shower or the toilet. If you want somewhere cheap, right in the middle of the action, and still perfectly comfortable then this place could not be better.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I stayed here for 7 nights in June with my brother.

Considering the cheap rate we were very pleased with the hotel. We had a room with 2 single beds that was near the corner of the block - closest to 6th Avenue. We were able to use the free wifi from the cafe down on the corner from our room which was a bonus.
TV worked fine. Air con was a bit loud but it didn't bother us. We had a bathroom right next door and I didn't have to wait to use it once during my 8 day stay. The front desk staff were lovely and the desk manned 24 hours a day. They were helpful and able to answer many of our questions.

Remember this is a very basic accomadation and you cannot expect it to be at teh standards of a 4 star hotel. Its not and its not trying to be.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Americana Inn? Share your experiences!