“Caution: Bad Service, Fraud, Awful rooms, stay away” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Americana Inn

You added Americana Inn to your Saves list
Americana Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   69 West 38th Street, New York City, NY 10018 (Garment District)   |
Ranked #365 of 455 Hotels in New York City
Karlsruhe, Germany
“Caution: Bad Service, Fraud, Awful rooms, stay away”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

This hotel couldn't be worse.

All floors stink, you don't want to go there.
Nearly all rooms have NO PRIVATE BATHROOM.
The sink in the room is too small to be useful.
The rooms are so small, you can't open a large suitcase.
Aircondition is so loud and weak, it won't freshen the air but you can't sleep, so loud.

There are strange bugs, you better turn off the light and try to sleep and not to think about it.

The worst is what happened to me: During the first night at 4am i had to use the public bathroom on the floor. My doorlock wouldn't open again. So i had to walk down in my pajamas to the front desk. Nobody was there. I was quite desperate. Would I have to sleep in the hall? I walked around, nobody to be seen. After some time i came back to the front desk. I was given a new key card, which didn't work either. So I had to change room, meaning i had to pack my luggage and move. The new room had an even worse air condition.
All this happened after a long flight, in the middle of the night. So I asked for a reduction. I was offered a reduction of $50 only.

The problem is, the reduction was never paid. Also when I checked out they refused to acknowledge in writing the amount of the reduction and sign it. So they planned not to pay right in the beginning.

To me this is unacceptable behavior, you don't want to deal this these people (on top of the awful rooms and overall setting).

I recommend to stay away from this hotel at all cost.

Room Tip: Wählen sie kein Zimmer, wählen Sie ein anderes Hotel. Das sollten Sie sich wert sein.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Polish first
Durham, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed one Saturday night with my daughter. We had twin beds and a shared bathroom -- all fine and clean, if TINY. But that's NY... My main complaint is that the staff arrived early Sunday to clean and basically set up camp outside the room to chat about the night's doings. Pretty unprofessional -- and that made it impossible to snooze (walls are paper thin). Also -- portable smoke alarm for an extra fee... wha???

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Me and my friends stayed here during our weekend trip at NY. Very good location just a block away from Times Square. Very cheap- we wanted a place just to keep our bags and rest for couple of hours.

Only drawback we noticed after landing at the hotel was they had common restrooms per 3 rooms. Since the hotel was not occupied much we had it for ourselves.

Price was damn cheap. Good reception. You have to ring the bell everytime you enter to open the main door. No breakfast served here but there are tons of bistros outside.

I would rate 4 since we expected nothing but just a room to rest.

• Stayed January 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

Terrible stinky unhelpful workers the only good thing is location! Thats all!! I was so disgusted with this place I literally didn't stay I left after seeing my room the air cond. was broken leaking water it smelled of urine. The only good thing is the location that's all stay at Ur own risk and yes pls dnt pay no more then 180 at that not even worth it for a "hostel" type place

• Stayed August 2012
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I spent two nights on a weekend with a friend. It's really very good stay for night stay just few steps from Times Square, NYC. Though the rooms are small but they fulfill the need for what they are required. Also. not too costlier. Stay at this property helped us to get maximum use of weekend plan of NYC. Staff and cleanliness is also good.

Room Tip: Very close to Times Square
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Metro Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

We checked in last October of last year and we stayed for 3 nights and 4 days. I booked via online and we didnt know that it was peak season because of the Columbus Day long weekend so we got this for over 200 USD a night. It was quite pricey for an Inn. We chose this hotel because of the perfect location according to the reviews. Since I was dilly-dally because I chose other hotels prior to this, when I booked this, I missed the "shared bathroom" thing. So we were surprised that it was shared bathroom for its price. It was a typical New York Inn. Small rooms and shared bathroom. Although, we loved the location! It's in the center of everything and really close to Times Square and Macy's.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Could not fault this hotel, rooms are pretty basic but clean and you have a shared bathroom but there are at least 4 bathrooms per floor we never had a problem, the location of the americana inn is fantastic literally a 5 minute walk to the empire state building and 10 at the most to times square, the staff were helpful and for the amount of time you will spend in your room in new York you couldn't want any more, we will definitely / hopefully stay here again :)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Americana Inn? Share your experiences!