“Great Choice” 4 of 5 stars

310 East 55th Street, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Italy
“Great Choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

We stayed at Globe Apartments for seven nights in May this year. It was not our first time in NYC, but if we will come back, will certainly stay there again.
The location is good, within two blocks of a subway station and within two to three blocks of other subway stations makes travelling incredibly easy and walking distance to lots of attractions like MOMA, Rockfeller center, Times Square.
We stayed in a large studio with 2 double beds, The room was big enough for 2 though I'd rather have a larger bed. The kitchenette was plenty for us with a nice size fridge for a studio. Having a full-size fridge and cooking facilities is very convenient. The apartment is very clean and the beds are very comfortable, the rooms are quiet and the staff is friendly. Having free wifi in the room is also a big plus.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

42 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Alcazar de San Juan, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

I was on Holidays for a week with my sister and we were in this hotel. People of the hotel is very friendly and helpful. The hotel was clean and the room was confortable. Good location, it was very close to the city center.

• Stayed March 2011
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

The rooms are big, beautiful, warm. The kitchen is big, you have everything to make you feel like home.The location is great.We liked it very much and We want to thank Zebo and Regina for their hospitality.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Cassis, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

A bit like having your own efficiency apartment on the East Side with few but friendly in evident staff. Greetings on arrival and someone at the door almost all of the time to offer warm greeting and a sense of security. Our apartment, with the absence of wifi, was functional and comfortable. Little touches including staples in the kitchen and bathroom products made getting there after a long trip a lot nicer than an austere hotel room. Management seemed to care as well as the staff about us. The internet service was there but I could not get it to work for me.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

I stayed with Globe quarters for 10 nights and found it to be very friendly and comfortable indeed, Zebo will try and do whatever she can for you. We arrived pretty late and there were things in the fridge, (full carton of orange juice, water,cream cheese, butter and jam) plus a loaf of bread, fruit, cereal and tea and coffee, this was greatly appreciated. Everything had been thought of, shampoo, moistureisers, right down to a shower cap and hairdryer (which we have not experienced at other apartments in New York). This was a really nice touch.
The area of the apartments is also great, just a short walk to the subway at Lexington and 53rd where you can get the E or M train to almost all tourist attractions, and lots of lovely restaurants and nightlife.
My partner and I really enjoyed our stay at this apartment and the hospitality of the management team Zebo and Regina and would definately recommend it to other people.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Mountain View, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

When I found out my job was sending me to NYC for an entire month I first looked at nearby hotels but quickly realized that was not going to make me comfortable. Then I remembered furnished short term apartments and looked into those. I found four within a reasonable distance of my work and Zebo from ALTRO Sutton Place responded to me the next day. For a long term stay they had the best prices and the most convenient location so I ended up selecting them. I am very glad that I did. I was immediately made to feel at home. The kitchen came pre-stocked with a number of items, such as bread and jam, sugar, tea, and coffee - enough to make breakfast for the first few days at least. They gave me a folder with a subway map and some information about the surrounding area. The doormen were all friendly, there were laundry machines in the basement, basic cable TV and high speed internet included. (The one minor downside is that the internet is NOT wireless and the cable was short, so I ended up purchasing a longer cable at Radio Shack so I could be on my computer on the couch, which is my normal habit).

The layout of the units feels very spacious and bright with lots of windows (and the views of Midtown Manhattan are quite charming). There are a lot of closets, more than I needed for the two suitcases full of stuff I brought with me. The only room that felt a little cramped was the kitchen, which I understand is pretty standard for NYC. It was still quite serviceable and well enough equipped for me to make a large pot of hearty squash soup and freeze portions of it in tupperwares to last me a couple of weeks (I did have to purchase my own tupperwares).

This is an older building and I did have a couple of minor maintenance issues while I was there, but they were all resolved in a timely fashion. My work travel ended up being extended to nearly three months and I stayed at ALTRO Sutton Place the whole time, with some brief trips back home to California. Between trips I did end up switching to different units within the building and they were all similarly equipped but with enough different to really feel like apartments rather than cookie-cutter hotel rooms - the furniture was a different style completely in one, the walls were a different color in another. But all of it was VERY homey. I did feel that the beds were a bit too firm, especially the first unit I stayed in.

They give free cleanings every two weeks, which for me is perfect (back at home that's the frequency at which we have cleaners clean our house) but for someone expecting daily service like at a hotel may be a disappointment. I understand it is possible to schedule more frequent cleanings for a small fee.

All said and done, I would go out of my way to stay here again if I have travel plans that take me anywhere in Manhattan.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

My daughter and I made a last minute booking for a 1 bedroomed apartment in Sutton Place, Global Quarters.
We were delighted to find ourselves in a large attractive Art Deco apartment. There was a fully equipped kitchen and we were surprised to find orange juice, milk, tea, coffe,salt and bread amongst other useful supplies left for us. The bathroom provided us with toothpaste, brushes, shampoo and conditioner.
The bedroom was very comfortable. Unfortunately the sofa bed in the living room was not so comfortable despite putting duvets and pillows on top of the mattress.
The apartment would be perfect for a couple who only needed to use the 1 bed.
Location of the apartment was perfect - only about 10 minutes walk from Bloomingdales.
The living room is very comfortable with a good sized dining table and the whole flat was lovely and warm.

• Stayed December 2010
GlobeQuartersMgmt, General Manager at ALTRO Sutton Place by Globe Quarters, responded to this review, January 13, 2011
Dear Joyce,
Thank you very much for your wonderful review. We are glad to hear that you found your suite spacious and comfortable, and enjoyed all the complimentary items provided with the apartment.
Thank you for bringing to our attention the discomfort of the sofa-bed mattress.
One-bedroom suites are very popular with guests traveling with families or friends in the party of 3 or 4 people, and the sofa-beds are being used extensively. Unfortunately, sleeping on a sofa-bed can never be as comfortable as sleeping on an actual bed, but majority of our guests was happy with the sleeping comfort. We regret your experience was different.
We have replaced the particular mattress and we only wish you had mentioned this issue from the beginning so we could make it better during your stay.

We really appreciate your detailed feedback, we are constantly improving our product and service to insure our guests’ smooth and enjoyable stay.

Been to ALTRO Sutton Place by Globe Quarters? Share your experiences!