“Great Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Standard High Line

You added The Standard High Line to your Saves list
The Standard High Line
848 Washington Street, at West 13th Street, New York City, NY 10014 (Formerly The Standard New York) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay "4" Longer
Ranked #248 of 458 Hotels in New York City
New Delhi, India
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at the standard. The room I booked was 'The Hudson Studio' and it had an amazing view of the city and Hudson with glass on the three walls of the room.

The hotel also has one of the best clubs in the city...only downer was that they did not give preference to hotel guests

Room Tip: Hudson Studio was just amazing
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Kevin R, Managing Director at The Standard High Line, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Hello! Thank you for your review! So glad to hear you had a nice stay. Looking forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We have never been treated so badly as in the standard. We arrived late night with a reservation that was already fully paid. We were told our rooms were not available because they were flooded. We could noticed the hotel was overbooked. We were sent to a filthy hotel in china town, without a restaurant, without bottled water, without any facility. We arrived to the hotel they sent us to and starved because we were afraid to go out and look for something. Also we were told we had a suite booked at this filthy hotel and it was a lie, we had the cheapest room. We were requested to return tomorrow. I really hope they make it out for us although I don't think there's anything they can do. The manager was rude instead of apologetic.
The lobby is ugly.
They give more attention to their bars than to the hotel and their guests.
It's a shame because it's not a cheap hotel.
We are extremely mad.

Stayed July 2014
Hello. I am so sorry about not being able to accommodate you on your first night in New York. I hope that you have found our upgraded rooms satisfactory and can enjoy the rest of your stay with us. If there is anything I can do to make your stay more pleasurable, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This hotel allowed us an early check in since our flight arrived before 4pm. The décor was clean and comfortable in the room. The Standard Grill restaurant was on the property next door and had a very good lunch. The hotel has no swimming pool which is too bad.
The first night we were there they brought us complementary water and beer while we were out. Very nice touch. The Standard is located in Chelsea which has the Chelsea Market nearby and lots of little restaurants and shops. We enjoyed our stay there very much.

Hi Caroline
Thank you for your review. Sounds like you had a wonderful experience at The Standard, High Line! Our location is truly ideal and the Meatpacking District is full of unique things to do. We hope you'll visit us again soon!
dallas, tx
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I was excited to stay here, but once I arrived - that changed. I've never stayed in a room that small in my entire life. I couldn't unpack my bag because it was so cramped and could barely pass by my husband at the foot of the bed to get to the other side of the "room". The shower set up is stupid and the toiletries attached to the wall make no sense because you can't use them in the tub!
I had to pump shower gel into a glass to take a bath. I did like the bathtub. The ledge placement in the shower made no sense and they never replaced the bar of soap while we were there 4 nights!! The bed was comfortable but it sits on the floor. For $600+ I expected a LOT more!! Good luck!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi there. I am so sorry to hear that you were less than satisfied with your recent stay at The Standard, High Line. We have many types of room configurations and it seems this one did not work for you this time. Please contact Julie in the Executive Office (Jguerra@standardhotel.om) next time you plan to visit and she will help you choose a room that is better suited for your needs. Thank you!
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I have to say, we were quite excited to be staying in this hotel. We wanted to do New York in our age bracket, late 20's early 30s, and I suppose this hotel is it. As others have said here, it is 'Hip', has a great location, but beyond that, it is an overpriced disappointment.

The location is great, as are the views from the rooms, and the hotel is surrounded by great restaurants, bars and coffee shop/cafes, as well as having a very safe feel around the streets at most times of the day and night. The Brass Monkey around the corner was GREAT!

The rooms are small but comfortable, clean, but NOT quiet… and this is where it falls down. We got the feel that as a hotel guest you come second. Second to the customers from outside, who come for the Bars and the rooftop Nightclub associated with the hotel. These seem to be the prime focus. Don't worry if you don't wish to attend the nightclub, you will still be able to listen to all the 'hip beats' being laid down upstairs while you are in your room trying to sleep at 2am! The noise travels waaaay down.

If you want service, stay elsewhere, your every request seems a burden, and for the life of me I can't see what, other than the view, the attraction of these bars or the snotty nightclub upstairs is (you want in? you're a hotel guest ?, line up like everyone else pal… or just go to your room and listen, you'll be able to hear it!), the service in these is even WORSE! Ignored for 20 minutes just to order a beer in the cafe downstairs, then ignore for a further 15 while trying to pay the bill; oh but we still want to know why you didn't tip us …!!!!

Coming back to your room after dinner or a night out? Try sharing a lift to your room with 20 drunken yobbo buffoons who are heading up to the rooftop club. Or even better, queue for a lift to your own hotel room because of this! (Heres an Idea, how about separate room key activated lifts for hotel guests?!)

The hotel COULD be wonderful. It is funky, intriguingly decorated, comfortable… very Hip New York, and in a great location, however, Guests MUST be treated as a priority, but in The Standard Highline, they are not.
We felt like we were a burden. I suppose if you intended on clubbing every night and drinking all day you'd love it. Hey, as long as Beyonce and Jay Z can be photographed in the lobby, who cares, right?

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to submit this review. I am terribly sorry to hear that your experience here at The Standard, High Line was a negative one. We pride ourselves on offering the highest levels of customer service and I am disappointed to hear about your interaction with our staff. We take all feedback incredibly serious and I can assure you we will be addressing the team about this matter.
Should you choose to give us a second chance, please reach out to Julie in the Executive Office (JGuerra@standardhotel.com) and she will make sure you are well looked after.
Bryn Mawr
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

This hotel is all about location - trendy with lots of sites to see - that is, if you're not looking for the more traditional sites that the "Big Apple" has to offer.
We spent a couple of nights in a small King room which we were told was an upgrade [maybe!]. Room was cramped. View was dreadful - not over the river but out over a not great view of Manhatten. Furniture was Ikea style - not good.
We had a lot of problems with the less than emphatic attitude of the staff - cold at reception, abrasive from room service and down right rude from the "baggage handlers". I subsequently spoke with the manager who assured me that he'd shared my feedback with his staff. Reviews from subsequent guests suggests that the "Standard Attitude" may need a deal more work.

Room Tip: Ask for a LARGE room with view over the Hudson
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
HI Allen
Thanks for your review. We take all feedback seriously as it is the only way we can improve. I am sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with the attitude of our staff. Guest service is of utmost importance and it appears we were unable to deliver on your recent stay. I can assure you this has already been addressed with the team. Should you choose to give us a second chance, please contact Julie in our Executive Office (Jguerra@standardhotel.com) and she will make sure you are well looked after.
hingham masssachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

So much enjoyed our stay this past friday and saturday! The energy here is infectious. Wonderful staff that will go out of their way to help. Such a great view and absolutely the most comfortable beds! We went up to the boom boom room and were blown away with the view and mostly the room itself. Next we went up to the terrace and if believable was even more gorgeous on a perfect July evening. Such a great location, within walking distance to so many interesting sights. That said, the hotel absolutely enhanced our weekend experience!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Kevin R, Managing Director at The Standard High Line, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Hi Janet! Thank you for your glowing review! So glad to hear you had a wonderful weekend in New York City. I appreciate you pointing out your satisfaction with our staff. Guest service is our number one priority and it's so lovely to hear we met your standards. I'm also pleased to know you were able to enjoy several of our food and beverage outlets as they are all unique in their own way. We hope you'll come back to see us real soon!

Been to The Standard High Line? Share your experiences!