I was really looking forward to our trip to the highline. I was a little nervous because of the mixed reviews. However, I really enjoyed the hotel. We were in a Hudson Studio with views in three different direction: uptown, downtown and the Hudson. We could see the Statute of Liberty, the Freedom Tower, and the Empire State building. Just amazing. I think some of the reviewers with negative comments go to the Highline with the wrong expectations. It is not a luxurious, cushy hotel. It has a different vibe. Its styling is more modern and trendy but that is okay and the décor reflects this modern and minimalist style.
We found the staff to be great, from the valet parkers, to the beautiful and friendly receptionist and to the restaurant staff at the Standard Grill. Room service for breakfast was fast and friendly. We did not have a problem getting into Le Bain, even though we were older than the typical patron. Although it wasn't as wild and crazy as I thought it would be. They should, as other reviewers said, allow hotel guest easier access to the roof top bars. You can get there but you have to go outside and line up on 13th street. That's weird. Same thing trying to get back to your room from the club at night. You have to go down outside and then go through the lobby. I guess they need to control access to the guest room floors but it is still a pain.
Of course the location in the meat packing district is great. Lots of shops, restaurants and places to visit and not too far from midtown or Soho.
There are a couple of criticisms that I have. The main counter/console in the room had wood veneer trim which was splitting and delaminating. They need to spend a little money on the furniture to keep it fresh. I also thought it was odd that the floor in the front dining room of the Standard Grill seemed pretty dirty. Maybe it is stained but it just doesn't look good at all. Clean or replace the floor.
Overall lots of fun.
- Also Known As:
- The Standard New York Hotel New York City
- The Standard New York Hotel
- Standard New York City
- The Standard New York City
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Manhattan's thriving Meatpacking District, the latest in hotelier Andre Balazs' collection of Standard Hotels stands commandingly above The High Line, the former elevated railroad undergoing redevelopment as a public park. 338 guest rooms on 18 floors, The Standard, High Line boasts unparalleled views of the Hudson River and Lower Manhattan, full business amenities, extensive event space and a state of the art fitness facility. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Tablet Hotels, Jetsetter, Splendia, Travelocity, Otel, MrandMrsSmith and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Standard High Line reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.