“Trendy with amazing views, but better value can be found elsewhere” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Standard High Line

You added The Standard High Line to your Saves list
The Standard High Line
848 Washington Street, at West 13th Street, New York City, NY 10014 (Formerly The Standard New York) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay "4" Longer
Ranked #250 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
“Trendy with amazing views, but better value can be found elsewhere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We attended a wedding at The Standard, so we decided to stay there as well. Overall, the hotel was good - incredible views, and a fun, trendy vibe. We had a corner room, which had views of both the Manhattan skyline and the Hudson River. The hotel's decor is hip and fun. However, the room didn't quite live up to the rest of the hotel. Comfortable enough (if a bit smaller than I expected), but pretty basic overall - and the rooms are beginning to show their age a bit. Service is overall quite good, especially the bellmen.

Room Tip: If you're into New York views, ask for a corner room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wirral
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights at the end of July. It's in a great location with good staff, it's just a shame you have to share it with the general public. We stayed on a Saturday and Sunday so I guess it's busier than in the week.

You had to queue for ten minutes for the lift as everyone was going to theroof top bar, they should have a guest only lift. We went up to see what it was all about. Great view but nowhere to sit. We then decided to go to their beer garden but we couldn't even get in and no guaranteed access for guests.

The rooms were small and in need of a little modernisation. The bed was amazing though. Quite expensive considering everything was top notch.

• Stayed June 2013
Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Stayed here for 5 days while my partner and I married in NYC.
We usually visit NYC Twice a year and had visited the grill and roof top bar as well as the boom boom rooms in the past. So this was supposed to be extra special....
The room, that was supposed to a superior was tiny , even by NYC standards....we didn't have room to hang even half our clothes, the toilet was quite simply shocking.. I get the vibe, I understand what's its trying to do but... The toilet was just dreadful.
The noise outside our window was really bad, it doesn't help that we were over looking a building site...

Ok the bed was like sleeping in fluffy clouds, but for what we paid its all we really got....
Thanks Standard... Like a horrible one night stand.... Had you... Won't do that again.....

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Balaclava, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Having not been to Manhattan for several years, I decided to treat myself by staying in an area I had previously not stayed in, and explore. While the staff there are primarily Gen Y, aloof, prone to primping and ambivalent at best to the fact that they are in a service occupation rather than in a starring role in Stephanie Germanotta’s latest music video, it was nonetheless amazing.

Great views of the ESB, MPD and the river. Perfect position with easy access to cross-town buses as well as the subway. Room feels less like a hotel room and more like a (very upscale) room in a house. retro 70s chic and a large table to sit at and lay out all your shopping goodies. The elevator alone with its freaky music, videos and lighting alone is worth a visit.

Sitting astride the High Line, it is fantastic. Feels highly secure, has every luxurious amenity you could desire, and is very quiet (except perhaps Friday and Saturday nights, when the aforementioned Gen Y bogans hit the local nightclubs, particularly the one in the hotel itself, where the noise is palpable until well after midnight)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I love to travel but get a small dose of OCD when it comes to hotels - but the Standard Highline allowed me to totally let my guard down. It was super clean and super chic. My Standard Queen room had a FANTASTIC view of the Hudson River and the city with its amazing floor to ceiling windows. And our receptionist at check-in, Amal, was lovely and welcoming. I will definitely be back. The only thing that's a bit odd is that the shower has no door, and has a window (with shutters) that overlooks the bed, so you'll need to be pretty comfortable if you're sharing the room with someone.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the hudson and the city. And def try for a higher floor because people...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

This is one of the most individual hotels I have ever stayed in and thoroughly enjoyed my 4 nights there. We did have a little trouble finding it as our cab driver from Newark airport didn't know it so make sure you have the address handy. The is no signage outside but look for the bright yellow revolving door and that is where your experience begins. The lobby area is very quirky and the staff enthusiastic and helpful. I wont spoil the surprise but the lifts were the strangest of experiences. We had asked for a high floor room overlooking the Hudson and were not disappointed. Although quite small it was beautifully presented, light and airy, especially with floor to ceiling windows to take in the spectacular views of the Freedom Tower, Statue of Liberty, the Highline and the river. Our bathtub was the biggest we have had anywhere but the toilet is a tight squeeze and wardrobe space limited. On arrival the weather was glorious so we made our way to the cocktail bar on the top floor and took our drinks up to the rooftop terrace. From there we could see the views that the rooms on the opposite side of the hotel had towards the Empire State Building. Everything here is very chic and the guests similarly presented. Food was brilliant in the hotel breakfast room but we didn't eat there in the evening so cannot comment on that. Be aware that the warnings you are given that the glass is transparent in your room are true. I found myself being waved to by workers down in the meat packing district wearing just my 2 towels one morning and people are walking the Highline from early morning to late evening ;) This is a lively part of the City and you will hear some noise, including the disco until some silly hour on Sunday morning but I never expect a good nights sleep on city breaks. There are lots of good restaurants, bars and designer shops within very short walking distances and we found the Chelsea Markets in the former Nabisco factory really interesting with a massive range of food outlets. I would recommend this hotel for a few reasons; it's location, views, quirkiness, quality etc although it isn't cheap. Oh yes just one last thing, if you forget anything it will almost lay certainly be available in the mini bar that was almost as well stocked as Tesco ;)

Room Tip: Definitely the highest floor available for the best views. Those with a view of the river should be...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I have been a regular client of this hotel for many years. The service levels have decreased to a standard that is terrible. Notwithstanding the fight to get to your room due to all the bridge and tunnel people trying to get to the top floor bar.

So imagine going back to your hotel room and finding not only is there someone else in your room, but all your clothes, valuables and personal items have been removed!!! This is exactly what happened to me on Monday at THE STANDARD HIGHLINE NEW YORK. Excuse was that someone checked me out of my room even though my reservation was for 2 other days. They didn't bother to contact me, even though they had all my contact details and just thought I wasn't coming back so cleared everything out and dumped everything in my suitcase! Dumped being the operative word - my dry cleaners are having a good week sorting this out. I say everything, but things also went missing. No real apologies, albeit I refused to pay the bill and got a room for the night. A real violation as far as I'm concerned. So my advise to you is DON'T STAY there! I'll be back at Soho House in future where they know how to treat their guests!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
lemmondd, General Manager at The Standard High Line, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Jonathan B,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience directly with us! I am happy that you were able to connect with our Hotel Manager to discuss the mistakes made by our team during your stay and receive the appropriate apologies for all of the inconvenience.

We are so sorry for the miscommunication and subsequent handling of your possessions during your stay with us. We always want to provide the best possible service to our guests and in this instance we clearly let you down. We hope you will reconsider and allow us to Wow you on your next visit to New York. Please keep us in mind and we hope to see you again soon.

All best,

David Lemmond
The Standard, High Line

Been to The Standard High Line? Share your experiences!