“Loved this hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Standard High Line

Save Saved
You added The Standard High Line to your Saves list
The Standard High Line
848 Washington Street, at West 13th Street, New York City, NY 10014 (Formerly The Standard New York) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Stay "4" Longer
Ranked #253 of 453 Hotels in New York City
Chicago, Illinois
“Loved this hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I love to travel but get a small dose of OCD when it comes to hotels - but the Standard Highline allowed me to totally let my guard down. It was super clean and super chic. My Standard Queen room had a FANTASTIC view of the Hudson River and the city with its amazing floor to ceiling windows. And our receptionist at check-in, Amal, was lovely and welcoming. I will definitely be back. The only thing that's a bit odd is that the shower has no door, and has a window (with shutters) that overlooks the bed, so you'll need to be pretty comfortable if you're sharing the room with someone.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the hudson and the city. And def try for a higher floor because people...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

This is one of the most individual hotels I have ever stayed in and thoroughly enjoyed my 4 nights there. We did have a little trouble finding it as our cab driver from Newark airport didn't know it so make sure you have the address handy. The is no signage outside but look for the bright yellow revolving door and that is where your experience begins. The lobby area is very quirky and the staff enthusiastic and helpful. I wont spoil the surprise but the lifts were the strangest of experiences. We had asked for a high floor room overlooking the Hudson and were not disappointed. Although quite small it was beautifully presented, light and airy, especially with floor to ceiling windows to take in the spectacular views of the Freedom Tower, Statue of Liberty, the Highline and the river. Our bathtub was the biggest we have had anywhere but the toilet is a tight squeeze and wardrobe space limited. On arrival the weather was glorious so we made our way to the cocktail bar on the top floor and took our drinks up to the rooftop terrace. From there we could see the views that the rooms on the opposite side of the hotel had towards the Empire State Building. Everything here is very chic and the guests similarly presented. Food was brilliant in the hotel breakfast room but we didn't eat there in the evening so cannot comment on that. Be aware that the warnings you are given that the glass is transparent in your room are true. I found myself being waved to by workers down in the meat packing district wearing just my 2 towels one morning and people are walking the Highline from early morning to late evening ;) This is a lively part of the City and you will hear some noise, including the disco until some silly hour on Sunday morning but I never expect a good nights sleep on city breaks. There are lots of good restaurants, bars and designer shops within very short walking distances and we found the Chelsea Markets in the former Nabisco factory really interesting with a massive range of food outlets. I would recommend this hotel for a few reasons; it's location, views, quirkiness, quality etc although it isn't cheap. Oh yes just one last thing, if you forget anything it will almost lay certainly be available in the mini bar that was almost as well stocked as Tesco ;)

Room Tip: Definitely the highest floor available for the best views. Those with a view of the river should be...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I have been a regular client of this hotel for many years. The service levels have decreased to a standard that is terrible. Notwithstanding the fight to get to your room due to all the bridge and tunnel people trying to get to the top floor bar.

So imagine going back to your hotel room and finding not only is there someone else in your room, but all your clothes, valuables and personal items have been removed!!! This is exactly what happened to me on Monday at THE STANDARD HIGHLINE NEW YORK. Excuse was that someone checked me out of my room even though my reservation was for 2 other days. They didn't bother to contact me, even though they had all my contact details and just thought I wasn't coming back so cleared everything out and dumped everything in my suitcase! Dumped being the operative word - my dry cleaners are having a good week sorting this out. I say everything, but things also went missing. No real apologies, albeit I refused to pay the bill and got a room for the night. A real violation as far as I'm concerned. So my advise to you is DON'T STAY there! I'll be back at Soho House in future where they know how to treat their guests!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
lemmondd, General Manager at The Standard High Line, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Jonathan B,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience directly with us! I am happy that you were able to connect with our Hotel Manager to discuss the mistakes made by our team during your stay and receive the appropriate apologies for all of the inconvenience.

We are so sorry for the miscommunication and subsequent handling of your possessions during your stay with us. We always want to provide the best possible service to our guests and in this instance we clearly let you down. We hope you will reconsider and allow us to Wow you on your next visit to New York. Please keep us in mind and we hope to see you again soon.

All best,

David Lemmond
The Standard, High Line
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I chose this hotel for my fiance's 30th and ultimately a special occasion. I have felt the need to write my first review on Tripadvisor because i was so underwhelmed with this hotel. I don't want people to think that we are always so negative so please look at Heidi Wade's reviews for a more balanced overview of other hotel stays.

The positives- 1. Our Deluxe King Room faced the water and had nice views. 2. Tim the concierge was great and very helpful.

The negatives- This hotel caters for the night club / bar on the upper floors and the restaurant / bar on the ground floor. On the Friday and Saturday nights the queue for the elevator to get to our room was outside the hotel front door. Roughly 30-40 meters. On one occassion i had to wait 22 minutes to get from my room on the 7th floor to the reception on ground floor. 22 minutes!!!!! To serve all floors of the hotel / bars and night clubs it was 4 elevators. Later in the evenings the elevators are reduced to two elevators for hotel guests. I have travelled all around the world and never experienced this.

There is absolutely no where to relax in this hotel other than your room. You have to queue for tables / seats in the bar area on ground floor. Don't plan on relaxing on the roof terrace in the sun. People were lying on the artificial grass with zero space to sit.

No hotel toilets on ground floor. Two toilets for the whole bar / restaurant area equalled big queues. Complete joke.

There is no personal service to hotel guests. You are made to feel like an add on to everything else going on.

Singapore/San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

If you feel good about yourself by shoving up against fifteen 21-yr-olds with fake tans, tiny skirts and 5-inch heels to get into a tiny, slow elevator playing "ethereal" music and watching a video of hitler burning in hell every time you want to get to your hotel room, then this is the place for you!

The thing is - none of those people are staying in the hotel. They're all going to the roof-top bar, which in 8 days of staying there, we never saw because it was either closed or so packed full of previously described people and bouncers that it wasn't really worth the effort for two 30-year olds with self-confidence to deal with. Also, said club was playing super loud music that was so loud that we could hear it clearly on the 11th floor (of an 18 floor building) until 4am. But, the hotel proactively provided ear plugs, so I'm sure they had no idea how annoying this is to every guest who stays there....

I stayed here for 8 days with my fiance while we were in New York on business. The novelty of this crowded spot in the Meatpacking district wore off in about the first 5 minutes when it became clear that the huge crowds didn't have to do with quality - they had to do with being seen. We waited 45 minutes to eat brunch at the restaurant downstairs where they served us an eggo waffle (described as "belgian" - clearly they have not been to Belgium) and a "tomato gratin" which was a soggy tomato on toast. It was unquestionably the worst food that we had in New York in 8 days and was worse than any brunch we have ever eaten at any restaurant in San Francisco. But, at least the bill was $78. Now our friends will know that we are rich and stupid enough to go there. That is, as far as I can tell, the point of doing anything at the Standard.

A few other points:

1) the view is great but the rooms are TINY (and I have stayed at A LOT of European hotels). They are also not private at all (as you are warned by the management in an explicit letter upon arrival), and so because your bed is up against the window that allows anyone on the high line or in the office building across the street to see you, if you want to have any privacy at all, you need to close the curtains, thus removing the benefit of the view while simultaneously underscoring exactly how tiny the room is.

2) We had a flight out from JFK at 4pm on Sunday - Gay pride parade sunday. Knowing that this could be a problem, when we checked out at 11 we asked them what we needed to do to get to the airport on time. They smiled and said "we'll call you a taxi whenever you want it." NOTHING about the fact that half the streets in Manhattan were about to CLOSE, including THE ONE THAT THE STANDARD WAS ON!!! When we realized what was going on about two hours later when we saw the streets closing we ran back to the hotel in a panic. It then took us 2.5 hours of the most harrowing taxi ride EVER to get to the airport and we almost missed our flight. If you have an explicit conversation about getting to the airport on time and the hotel is calling you a taxi (which they also didn't do, instead they handed us to a hawking taxi driver who was lurking out front with a broken meter, fishing for airport transfers who would pay the fixed rate), then it is any reasonable hotel's responsibility to tell you that their hotel is on a closed street and PS it will take 2 extra hours to get to the airport.

3) They force you to donate money to the high line unless you read fine print and opt out. I love the high line and am happy to donate my own money to it in my own time in my own way, but this place that is clearly 100% dependent on the high line for its trend value shouldn't pretend that there is a positive motive, when clearly it is in their financial best interest to force guests to donate to the primary feature that makes this hotel worth something.

4) The air con in the fitness room wasn't working properly, making it useless in NY when it's 93 degrees outside. Another example of how it looks good, but doesn't actually work.

Overall, this hotel's priority is clearly its marketing that keeps its bar full of wannabe drunk fashionistas. I recommend staying at a hotel where the guests are the top priority.

Room Tip: get a lower floor -the higher up the louder the club noise. Also the view is better towards the dire...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

No question that Standard high line is a very stylish hotel. Straddled the high line, with its LA vibe and exhibitionist temptation, it is high on the cool factor. The view from the room and the roof is great. We loved it for that.
But...we experienced very noisy guests on our floor in and out all night until 4am. Maybe the hotel has a reputation of hard party, but we should have guessed that the moment we saw a pair of complimentary ear plugs in the bathroom. The loud noises, which to be fair, may not be within the hotel's control, but a hot-spot roof bar that opens to public until 4am may kind of guarantee that. The bed and pillows are very very soft which may not be perfect for people who are used to firmer sleeping arrangement like us. So as a result, we got very little sleep.
The real issue, however, is the slow service we experienced at the front desk. With many people check in and out, it seems the hotel is extremely understaffed, with one person working the front desk on Saturday. Valet is very slow, check in is slow, getting out luggage from storage took close to 30 minutes. No one is rude or anything, it was just strangely slow, very unlike New York.

Room Tip: go if you want to check out a stylish hotel maybe not if you want to have a good night sleep.
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The Standard is party central for the upscale hipster crowd and the location is great for walking to TriBeCa, SoHo, the Village, Chelsea and midtown. Overall, it's a wonderful hotel but there a few downsides to being popular. It's often very hard to get down to the lobby or up to your hotel room because there are throngs of people crowding the elevator lobby waiting to get to the rooftop bar. Unfortunately, the hotel doesn't manage this situation well. At other hotels with a trendy rooftop scene, such as Ink48, there is a separate elevator - staffed with bouncers - for those wishing to visit the rooftop. The other problem we experienced is that the free Wi-Fi offered by the hotel simply does not work. You can connect, but data transfer is so slow as to be useless. We stayed at The Standard for three nights and the Wi-Fi was hopelessly slow the entire time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Standard High Line? Share your experiences!