“Like a Monet...good from far, far from good” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Standard, High Line

You added The Standard, High Line to your Saves list
The Standard, High Line
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   848 Washington Street, at West 13th Street, New York City, NY 10014 (Formerly The Standard New York) (West Village)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #262 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Beverly Hills, CA
“Like a Monet...good from far, far from good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

beautiful building...beautiful restaurants...beautiful lobby...beautiful Marco Brambilla video installation in the elevator...pretty much amazing until you're actually staying at the hotel

First problem...was arriving on an international flight so I didn't get to the hotel until 10PM. I am a Founderscard member and am supposed to get an upgrade on check in. I even called the night before to confirm. When I arrive, they put me in a queen size bed (I'm 6'4") and tell me they are booked. I spent the next 90 minutes trying to find another hotel to switch to when I finally find a room at the Ace, all of a sudden there is a room with a king bed available. "Sorry sir, there were some technical problems with this room but the room just opened up."

I get to the room, everything seems fine. I go to use the toilet (#1) and it takes 3 flushes for anything to go down. Because I've now wasted almost two hours getting into the room, only the late night menu is available for room service. I ask if any of the restaurants are still serving dinner, "yes, until 2am." I call the grill to make sure there's a table available, they say sure come on down. I go down to the grill and have to wait 15 minutes for a table. I get seated and the menu is the EXACT same as the room service late night menu. I order a soup and salad and to be fair, it was quite good.

I go back upstairs to go to shower and then sleep. I take a shower, but there's no door on the shower so the bathroom floor ends up with a pool of water on it which I have to mop up with a towel. I go to sleep and I'm laying in bed and I hear a pounding that sounds like an anvil coming from either the floor above or the room next to me. Then I hear the shower running like it's my own shower. Doors slamming in the hallway all night and day. Super loud on the street all night and day.

This hotel is all style over substance and wildly overpriced. At the least the one in LA doesn't try to gouge you like it's a real 4 star hotel.

Would never stay here again nor recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: I imagine a high room facing the water would be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We checked in with friends had two rooms and they advised us that our upgraded room came with a breakfast or brunch whichever we wanted in the morning of checkout. We also was told that since we were guest the rooftop bar would be open for us and out guest anytime. Well for one we were celebrating a birthday so we bought some friends to the hotel to hang at the roodtop.and we were told NO the front desk guy said they were having some party and we aren't going to be able to go up. All these people were waiting and ready to spend money on the.birthday girl but they said no. the next morning to make a short story after upgrading the room for the bkfst we nevr got any.breakfast. it was a disaster. Never will I.go back there.

• Stayed August 2012
lemmondd, General Manager at The Standard, High Line, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Joan R -

I appreciate your taking the time to share your experience at The Standard. I apologize for all of the mis information provided to you at check in. We do have private parties in our top floor bars from time to time and that should have been communicated to you on arrival! I am not certain what happened with breakfast the following morning, or why you were unable to dine with us.

Our Room Service is 24 hours and The Grill serves both breakfast and then brunch on the weekends! We should have been able to accommodate your needs in one or the other of these amazing options.

We would love to welcome you back to The Standard should you ever wish! Please don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Los Angeles CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

For our annual late summer NYC visit, we once again split our stay between downtown and mid or uptown hotels--The Standard High Line and the Peninsula this year. Although we walk the High Line during every NYC visit and thus pass under the Standard, this was just our second stay here.

For my first visit, the hotel was just the Standard (since the Standard East Village was not yet opened and would first be called the Cooper Square Hotel), and it was not completely finished--upper floor rooms plus the top floor spaces that would become the Boom Boom Room (later the Top of the Standard) and Le Bain lounges were still under construction. The second phase of the High Line was also unfinished. The fairly large outdoor space in front of the lobby was not as fully realized as it is now. We had a deluxe queen room, I believe, that faced south with West Village, downtown and Hudson River views, and had an enclosed WC and shower drainage issues.

For this visit, I noticed many changes with the Meatpacking District, Chelsea, and the hotel itself. New restaurants, bars, clubs and boutiques have sprung up, although such venerable institutions as Old Homestead Steakhouse and Pastis restaurants remain. The meatpacking warehouse across the street from the hotel, where I distinctly (and fondly) remember having to weave my way around trash bins full of discarded carcasses, is gone. The commercial building north of the hotel on 14th St. is completed, and blocks some northern hotel views. The High Line's second phase has opened, extending the gorgeous elevated park to near Madison Square Garden. An entire new community called Hudson Yards is being developed at this north end, while at the High Line's south terminus, the Whitney Museum is building a branch. The revitalization of Chelsea owes very much to the High Line, including buildings by famous architects Frank Gehry and Jean Nouvel.

The hotel itself has changes as well. The outdoor space fronting the lobby now has 2 dining/drinking areas--one an extension of the Standard Grill (a trellised patio with mature, very realistic-looking but faux vines that went up in a week, according to our waiter), plus the Standard Plaza. There's also the Biergarten directly under the High Line. There is a large sculpture that reminded me of SpongeBob Squarepants. Gone are the yellow metal one-piece tables and benches that generated no income. There is a skating rink here in the winter.

In a hotel such as this where style and image are its lifeblood, I usually resign myself to expect so-so service. We were pleasantly surprised to receive very friendly service from every staffer we encountered, no matter how good-looking they were. And they ALL were, with such stylish uniforms, especially the bellboys with their high-water pants and sockless lace-up shoes.

For this visit we booked a Hudson Studio room, thanks to an online flash sale. I believe these are the largest rooms, aside from the suites, and there is one per floor. All primarily face west (Hudson River and New Jersey), with walls of glass also facing north (Empire State Building, High Line) and south (High Line, Freedom Tower at the 9/11 Memorial, downtown and West Village, Statue of Liberty). These king-bedded rooms have an open floor plan--the bathroom and bedroom/sitting area are demarcated only by carpet vs. tile flooring. Half of the bathtub is in the "bedroom". The stall shower with rain head is akin to standing in an exhibit case in a museum, like a piece of sculpture. Only the WC has a sliding door for privacy, although there are still floor to ceiling windows in there as well. The hotel is infamous for its clear-windowed rooms that can be en exhibitionist's dream--one can brazenly (or mistakenly) "perform" for audiences on the High Line, just like Michael Fassbender's character in the NC-17 film "Shame". This character had trysts in a Hudson Studio just like ours (by the window near the bathtub). And Carey Mulligan's character sang "New York, New York" in the Top of the Standard. Even regular room like on our first visit have peekaboo bathrooms. And since all rooms have only one bed, the hotel is not well suited for young families or business acquaintances, unless you don't mind these folks seeing you bathe or poop. I don't recall seeing any children at the hotel during either stay, which is not a bad thing.

The top (18th) floor has 2 lounges/clubs. The Top of the Standard was closed for remodeling, but is the more formal space. The adjacent Le Bain, meanwhile, sports a large hot tub and has an upstairs rooftop outdoor deck complete with a VIP area, waterbeds and the same views as the Hudson Studios and gym, except higher and grander. We paid a late afternoon visit to the deck and drank in the views with a cocktail and crepe from the cute crepe/gelato stand (both sweet and savory crepes served). In the evenings, these lounges become crowded, velvet rope and doormen affairs, with 2 elevators designated for club use only. Other TA reviews note problems with noise from these clubs, especially on higher floors. Because of this, we asked for a mid to low floor and got the 5th floor. The Hudson Studios are all situated directly under Le Bain, and while I heard some thumping music at times, the room was more quiet than I expected. Even with the long-standing Brass Monkey bar, whose patio backs up against the south side of the Standard, noise was not an issue.

The hotel lack a bit in amenities. There is free WiFi, but no business center. There is a nice fitness center on the 17th floor with fab views as mentioned above, but no spa. I remember for our first visit, the room's many bath products were cleverly packaged in generic (Kiss My Face brand) bottles to match the bath's laboratory-like sink area. For this stay, we noticed markedly less products (only bubble bath and one bar of soap for the sink), with those gym-like refillable pump dispensers in the shower.

The hotel continues to thrive in a forever changing neighbourhood. There is no hotel better located in these parts, and that simple fact warrants return visits.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Ithaca, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

It was quite last minute for me and my boyfriend, we booked on the day of and was able to check in early. Like everyone else has said so far.. the view is amazing! love the ceiling to floor windows. The decor is very modern and classy, although the room is small we enjoyed it very much still. I mean, how much room do you need for sleeping a few nights? We had a suite in another hotel in NYC before and we barely used our living room! Service was great and the room was spotlessly clean. The bubble bath is an added bonus! Roof top bar is said to be very pretentious, if you don't enjoy that scene just don't stay there, but defiantly go up and see the view. Oh it's a little far from the closest subway station but there are always cabs waiting outside to take you wherever. Lots of little restaurant and bars around, lots of beautiful people :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

The views are great but the tiny rooms are worn, with stains on the furniture and carpet. It's just trying way too hard and there are much better hotels in NYC which are a lot hipper, if that's what you are going for. I can't think of any reason to stay here unless you have to be in this neighborhood, but if you do, stay at the Gansevoort. I don't think it was dirty, but it's clear the room has seen many nights of partying and the amenities are average--I guess you are paying for the view. The hotel staff was lovely though and the beer garden is fun.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear sdbBoston_MA -

Thanks for the feedback on your stay! I apologize that the guest room was not up to par for your visit. I think the views are complimented by our normally very well designed and maintained guest rooms.

I do agree, the Biergarten is fun and the staff are lovely!

Please come again. We would love to have you with us.

New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I proposed to my girlfriend this past Saturday at the hotel and everything worked out great! Tanya at the front desk played along wonderfully with the surprise and the front office manager Paul could not have been more helpful. He made sure all of my concerns were addressed and that everything ran smoothly. The views from the room were breathtaking. Will definitely be back to relive the experience!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

A great location and a stunning building. I can forgive the small rooms, because the views were great. So much potential, however I came away disappointed. I stayed here for five nights and yet was unable to access the hotel facilities when I wanted. At $600 a night I think you should be able to have a simple night cap on your way "home" from dinner, yet we were denied that option on two occasions. And I am talking about the downstairs cocktail bar. Forget about getting anywhere near the roof top bar, unless it is 2:30 in the afternoon!

• Stayed September 2012
lemmondd, General Manager at The Standard, High Line, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear Oneteee,

Thanks for the feedback! I agree, the views from almost anywhere at the Hotel are truly amazing.

So sorry that you were unable to find the perfect venue for a night cap on multiple occasions. We have so many places, finding one should have been a snap. From The Biergarten, to The Grill, The Plaza and the bars on the 18th Floor – our concierge could certainly have helped to find the perfect spot to unwind after a hectic day in the Big Apple.

Please let us know when you will be back in New York and the first drink is on us!

David Lemmond

Been to The Standard, High Line? Share your experiences!