“Pretentious Hotel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Standard High Line

You added The Standard High Line to your Saves list
The Standard High Line
848 Washington Street, at West 13th Street, New York City, NY 10014 (Formerly The Standard New York) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay "4" Longer
Ranked #250 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Berlin, Germany
“Pretentious Hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

The hotel is not what I expected from a 4/5 stars hotel designed by Phillipe Starck.
The superior queen room is very small, and you dont have a properly wardrobe, so you have to keep your clothes in your bag and if you have a big bag, you have a problem.
Everytime I wanted to send clothes to the laundry, I had to go to the reception because there was no one to pick them up in my room. I cant imagine how two persons can stay more than 2 days in such a small room.
The staff is very very unfriendly, almost rude!!!!!
If you want to have breakfast at their restaurant you have to stay in a LINE, even if you are a guest and you're paying almost 500 dollars/day you have no priority, the same with the boom boom room and le bain.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
lemmondd, General Manager at The Standard High Line, responded to this review, June 24, 2011
Dear Lilly_Marleen,

Thanks for your comments. We take great efforts to ensure our guests receive service at the high standard we set for ourselves, a standard of service as appreciated by guests as our design, our views, and our overall atmosphere. While our property was not designed by Phillipe Starck, thank you for noticing our unique design.

We have a variety of room types available at our property, knowing that each traveler has a different set of needs depending on their stay and preferences. I invite you to give us a call on your next stay or to visit our website so we can help explain the features of each of our rooms; we have sizes ranging from the Superior Queen to our Empire Suite at 875 sq ft.

I am sorry to hear of your first impression of our staff, and this will be addressed as we aim to help every guest with any request. We are only too happy to arrange laundering, though we do need a heads-up to arrange this in order to know which items our guests would like help with. The Guest Services staff are ready to pick up and deliver to the guest room.

Also I am glad you had the opportunity to experience The Standard Grill. This is quite a draw in the city on its own merit, and we highly recommend reservations in order to get a table. I am sorry if there was an issue with breakfast, and our Concierge is happy to help arrange tables at The Grill or any restaurant in the city for our guests.

Thanks again for your comments Lilly_Marleen, and please don’t hesitate to contact me personally with any questions or concerns.

David Lemmond

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Woodstock, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

After reading the mixed reviews on the way the Standard staff treated its' guests, I was very pleased with all the interactions I had; from the curbside greeting to the front dest, to the folks in the lobby lounge area, etc. They were all smiling, friendly and helpful at the perfect level of attention. The hotel is very cool (even the elevators), and the locations was perfect for us for meetings in the Wall Street area, as well as dinner at Spice Market in Meatpacking district (great selection in walking distance), and topping it off with a cleansing ale as my boss would say, at Hogs and Hefers!

london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

Great view, lovely rooms, helpful staff. Well located.

Room price is pretty expensive and they'll charge your creditcard with a deposit without asking, only other gripe is that breakfast isnt included. But its, brilliantly situated for Manhatten and check out the Hi Line park underneath it

Oh and one of the most comfortable beds in the world.

Room Tip: The higher the better when it comes to views of NY
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

We had a great experience at The Standard! I was wondering the staff would be a little 'too cool' and not friendly. However, everyone we encountered was great! The rooms are small - we were in a Deluxe King - but that was not an issue. The floor to ceiling windows with spectacular views over the Hudson and New Jersey NEVER failed to impress! The oversized bath tub was great after a day sightseeing.....easily fits two people! The area itself is great, not as hectic as other parts and plenty of nice restaurants to chose from.....I would love to return again ASAP! The Beer garden downstairs was also a great spot. The only crticism was the Standard Grill - food was ok but nothing special.

Room Tip: room 1312 had great views/no noise
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I was very excited to finally be staying at the Standard in NY as many of my friends had suggested that I stay there. For some reason all my regular hotels in NYC were sold out and I got a somewhat reasonable rate so decided to give it a try. I am a very experienced business traveler and really felt out of place at this very trendy fasionalable hotel. Upon arrival I was given a "upgraded" room (corner king) which I found small but nice. The toilet is separate from the rest of the bathroom and really tiny, you have to go a ways to get to the sink to wash your hands after using the toilet. The shower/sink area is very odd. There was no tub in the room. I had room service which was ok. Bed was comfortable. The view from the room was amazing. There is no desk in the room and wireless internet was very average to slow for speed. Hotel was very busy in the early evenings and therefor the elevators were slow. I think that if I were on vacation this would be a fun place, for business, never again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
lemmondd, General Manager at The Standard High Line, responded to this review, June 17, 2011
Dear BenfromBoston,

Thanks for your comments, and happy that you were able to experience our hotel. We do have a design which accommodates business in our rooms from our adjustable tables to our seating options. We also offer complimentary wifi access to all guests, along with the option to upgrade to higher speeds at small daily fee if needed. I’m sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with this first stay, while we are different than a more traditional "business" hotel, we definitely believe we can fill the bill for many a business traveller! Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly with any question or concerns.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

This is a very cool place. It has some of NYC's best clubs and bars in it, amazing service, very cool rooms, and an unbeatable location. You would never know you were above a public park in the center of the swankiest shopping and clubbing in town, above a beer garden, or below two nightclubs when in their very comfortable beds.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Cape Town
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

We have stayed at the standard, lovely location, nice concept.
But... my wife went to the bar at 21.46. this is important because the 18th floor bar closes at 10. She is told that last order was 15 min before closing at which stage she looks at her watch and notice 9.46
meanwhile i went to drop something in our room and after waiting for 1 of the 4 elevators for the 350 rooms + outside guest flocking, i arrive at the bar trying to find her.
then it becomes really great. Security comes to me and put a hand on my shoulder - which is already unacceptable - and say excuse me sir (politely) you have to come out of the bar; when asked why he adds that i am dressed in a pijama and they have a strict dress code policy.
I have problems beeing treated like this. My pijama is a cool pair of pant i bought a few month ago in tokyo.
I am not expecting security to be "au fait" of what guest buy where, nor do i expect to like my clothes.
But i cannot accept security to physically intrude on my shoulder and make value judgement of the way hotel guests are dressed.
This for me is fascism and it has no place in the service industry.
We are leaving tomorrow and will spend another week at the crosby, a fantastic hotel in soho where service is top.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
lemmondd, General Manager at The Standard High Line, responded to this review, August 1, 2011
Dear pbcf,

Thanks for your comments, and I am sorry to hear of your experience at The Top of The Standard. While this is a private area in the evenings, we want our guest to be able to experience this great space and the views if offers, so we have a timeframe named “Sunset Service” between 4pm and 10pm. I am sorry if you arrived at this a little later in the evening, and invite you back to join us for some amazing sunsets.

As far as the security issue is concerned, I apologize on behalf of our hotel if there was any confusion. We do hold a dress code in this area and so our staff was only acting on this and meant no disrespect to you during your stay. Please let me know how I can help with any comments or concerns personally.

David Lemmond

Been to The Standard High Line? Share your experiences!