You added The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member to your Saves list
The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   449 W. 36th Street, 36th Street between 9th & 10th Avenues, New York City, NY 10018 (Midtown)   |
Ranked #251 of 464 Hotels in New York City
San Diego, California
“Our Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a week and we had a great experience!! Alex and Ashish were great. They made you feel very comfortable and took very good care of us. They were vey helpful with places to eat. The rooms are small but comfortable and clean. No frills but worth it. This hotel was great centrally located to about anywhere you wanted to walk or catch any public transportation. If you have to attend an occasion at the Javits convention center, this hotel is the perfect place to stay. Easy walk to the center. This hotel does not have any restaurant or places to eat in it, just rooms. This was ok for us because restaurants were close by. Highly recommend this hotel. Thanks Alex and Ashish for taking good care of us!!! The two San Diego girls!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
General M, General Manager at The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear 6Mary2013,
Thank you for staying the GEM Hotel Midtown West we are delighted that you had a wonderful stay. Ashish and Alex have been with us for years and exemplify the core values of service we strive for at the GEM. I also like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay,, in appreciation please mention LGEMR during your next return visit to the GEM. Hope to see you soon again.
Lawrence Hou

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Lewistown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I recently stayed here with members of my family. With some never actually being in NYC, this location was PERFECT. Located in Hell's Kitchen, it's just a short walk to Times Square and a cheap cab ride to some major tourist attractions. The rooms are small yes, but how long are you really planning on staying in them. We were in them long enough to get about five hours of sleep and shower. The rooms were clean and the beds comfy. The staff was wonderful. We arrived very early in the morning knowing that we were unable to check in that early, we asked if we could leave our luggage at the hotel and park the cars in the adjacent lot. They very graciously held all of our stuff and with EIGHT women, you know we had a ton of luggage :). Every staff member we came in contact with was friendly and full of helpful tips. The General Manager made sure that our rooms were what we needed and his staff trained and ready. Alex the front desk agent was extremely helpful and courteous. Thank you all for being so good to all of us and we will definitely be staying with you the next time we venture into NYC.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Dear MrsT1020,
Thank you for staying the GEM Hotel Midtown West, we hope that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Please let us know if there was one thing we could make your stay better what it could have been. In appreciation please mention LGEMR for your next return visit or please feel free to contact me directly.
erie, pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I think this hotel is a hidden treasure... I went to NYC over the memorial holiday with 4 friends. We booked a one room with two queen beds. This hotel was spotless and the staff could not have been nicer. We also used the parking lot across the street which we got a discounted rate through the hotel. The only reason I did not give this hotel 5 stars is because the room was small but this will not deter me from staying there again. I am planning a Thanksgiving trip and will stay at the Gem again

Debbie S

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear cruiser4,
Thank you for choosing the GEM Hotel Midtown West during your trip to NYC. We are delighted that you enjoyed everything about your stay and really look forward to your return during Thanksgiving. As you know the Macy's day parade is only few blocks away. Please mention LGEMR for that next visit. And thank you for taking the time to post you comments and review. Your VOICE matters!
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I will post review in both the Soho and Midtown locations as it involves both properties.

I arrived at the Soho hotel on a Thursday night, after a long day of travel and business meetings. I had an early meeting just a few blocks from the hotel, so I was looking forward to checking in and getting a good night's rest. When I arrived at the hotel, I was informed that they had a problem, had to shuffle some rooms around, and they no longer had a room for me. Instead, they had moved me to their Midtown location. Needless to say that with an early meeting in SOHO, a Midtown move was very inconvenient. However, there wasn't much I could do about that. When I arrived at the Midtown location, I checked in and was given keys to room 1104. Imagine my surprise when I went to the elevator and there were only 10 floors! Room 1104 was located in the BASEMENT! It was the only room in the basement and tucked in a corner past the storage rooms and maintenace equipment. It was dark and musty smelling, and to be honest, quite scarey.

Without even going into the room, I went back up to the desk and told the lady working there that I couldn't stay down in the basement. It didn't look safe, and it was absolutely unacceptable. She informed me that they didn't have any other rooms, and the Soho location did not authorize her to transfer me to another hotel. I had her call the Soho location so I could speak with the people there. Surely after displacing me so late and moving me to a completely different NYC location, they would want to help make sure I was satisfied. But that is not the response I got. The Soho location informed me that there was nothing they could do. This was the room that I was booked into, but he would be happy to cancel my reservation with no penalty. Wow - isn't that nice!?! At what was now close to 11 pm on a Thursday night, what was I going to do without a hotel reservation.

Tired and fed up, I went back downstairs to the basement room and went in this time. The room was unbelievably small, even for NY standards. It smelled absolutely horrible. There was a huge picture window looking directly out onto the employee patio. Certainly a safety issue there. I pulled down the curtain on that window, and low and behold, a moth flew out and started circling the room. I turned on the air conditioning unit, as it was incredibly humid, and it started making loud banging noises. The final straw was when I slipped off my shoes and noticed that the entire carpet was damp and soggy. I can't believe they can actually get away with using this space as a hotel room.

I went back upstairs and told the front desk employee that no matter what, I could not stay in that room. I listed all of the things that were wrong. It was at this point, that the employee agreed to transfer me across the street to the Quality Inn. The only positive thing I can say about my experience at this hotel is that the front desk lady in Midtown was very nice and sympathetic, and when she finally was able to move me to a different hotel, she walked me across the street and got me checked in. I suspect she has had to deal with dissatisfaction with that room many times before.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
General M, General Manager at The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Kristin H,
I am deeply sorry to hear about your entire experience from beginning to end. I hope that you would provide me the opportunity to make it up to you. Please do contact me at the midtown hotel and ask for me, I look forward to hearing from you.
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I stayed at the Gem hotel in Midtown west in May 2013 and had a great time! I was with my boyfriend and another couple. We took a cruise out of NYC and spent one night in the city. We decided to share a room with two double beds in order to reduce the cost.

The price was very reasonable (I had found a discount online through work). Compared to some of the other hotels I saw online, this one was great! It was clean, trendy and modern.

The free WIFI worked great, as did the TV and other appliances.

It was well located for us between the cruise port and the city! we were able to walk almost everywhere.

Finally, the staff was terrific! They were friendly and welcoming. They had plenty of advice and were equipped with resources for tourists.

The hotel has a quiet and peaceful charm. It is a small building, however, they make great use of the space. Nice furniture and a cute little entrance garden.

We are in our mid twenties but were looking for something comfortable. This place is better suited for those who prefer a quiet place to stay.

Thanks Gem Hotel and fantastic staff, this was exactly what we were looking for, and more! I would certainly come back :)

Melissa

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Goochland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I had a very nice stay at this hotel. The room, although small, was nicely laid out, and the bed was very comfortable. The staff was friendly, and there was an informative "message board" with local information in the lobby, that was very helpful.
I chose this hotel for it's close proximity to Penn Statio9n, and for the very reasonable price.
I will likely stay here again when visiting in New York.

Room Tip: A room facing the front will have a better view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

General M, General Manager at The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear William B,

On behalf of the GEM Hotel Midtown West, thank you for having stayed with us during you trip to NYC we are excited that the hotel meet your expectations.
We are committed to providing our guest's with complete customer satisfaction and service they can depend on. We value our guest's and their opinions and appreciate your comments and feedback. We strive to provide our guests with only the highest standard of hospitality available.
We hope to better serve you in the future. We are sure that you will be pleased and find that you’re VOICE made a difference in taking us to the next level of service. Please mention LGEMR during your next return visit.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

I feel this hotel very much misrepresented itself. We had previously stayed at Distrik in Manhattan, so since this was also an Ascend brand. We expected at least comparable accommodations. Far from it. This hotel resembled something that had been spit and shined and put out to market at best. The walls were dirty in the room and just the overall feeling made me check all linens to make sure they were clean. The elevator made banging noises all night and the 1980's circa air conditioner,when cycling on and off made a horrendous noise that kept my husband awake. The best the lobby had to offer was Luke warm tap water and plastic glasses. Definitely not impressed.

• Stayed May 2013
General M, General Manager at The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Mvonmauc,
We are sorry to hear that your stay and experience with us at the GEM Hotel did not your expectations. The hotel is undergoing many different changes, room conditioning and maintenance is our current areas of focus right now. Please know that honest comments and reviews only help drive our determination to provide the best product for all guest at the GEM Hotel. We hope that you will provide us a second opportunity to show that we take all matters seriously.