“What a Great Hotel!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member

You added The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member to your Saves list
The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   449 W. 36th Street, 36th Street between 9th & 10th Avenues, New York City, NY 10018   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #256 of 455 Hotels in New York City
Lawrence, Kansas
“What a Great Hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We totally enjoyed our time at the The Gem. The staff was very friendly. The rooms, although small, were nice, clean and well appointed for the size. I love the little extras in the room including the "relax" rock, the vial of lavender scent and that very unique clock radio that took my iPod. The location was both good and bad. It is close to Javits Center and the really cool High Line park. But, you also have to walk numerous blocks from the subway, and not all through a great neighborhood. But, I stayed there with my sister, and we walked home at night feeling just fine. I guess the real question is, would I stay at the Gem again? Answer: heck, yeah!

Room Tip: there are only 4-5 rooms on a floor, so I would say any room is great.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
General M, General Manager at The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Janet1967,
Thank you for staying at the Gem Hotel Midtown West durig your most recent trip to NYC with your sister. We are so delighted that your stay with us was everythig you hoped for when choosing your hotel. Your reveiw and comments are so very much appreciated and welcoming. We greatly look forward to your next stay, please mention LGEMR as THANK YOU .
Gem Hotel Midtown West

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Our family of 3 stayed at GEM Midtown for 11 days and we enjoyed our stay. We were out exploring for most of the day and the most important thing to us was clean, comfy beds, location and friendly staff. Staff is incredibly friendly and really made our stay memorable. We had a room on the 10th floor, 2 double beds, mini fridge (which I requested), microwave, Wolfgang Puck coffee, wonderful tea and AC that worked perfectly. Room was small but manageable, linen was clean and replaced only when you place the rock on the bed as hotel is into environment. However, I was surprised that there was no blue bin in the room for recycling? They need to do something about Wi Fi as this was the only frustration I experienced. Our room was in the corner of the building, top floor and I wasted hours and hours trying to connect. Once you go downstairs connection was perfect. I was able to connect to free Wall Street Journal Wi Fi more often than to hotel's own set up. I loved the benches by the entrance to hotel, it was perfect for my morning coffee and smokers will appreciate it. Location is somewhat off as Lincoln tunnel is there, so there's a big intersection to cross, but once you do, you're on 9th Ave which has tons of restaurants, coffee shops, laundry etc. Venture towards the 10th Ave and check out Coffee Grind, great coffee place. Across the street is a drugstore, next to it little grocery store where you could get pastries, sandwiches, drinks etc. We liked the location, lots to explore around on 35th and 34th streets. There's a gas station around the corner with lots of taxis at all times and this was a huge convenience. If we slept in longer and cleaning ladies were gone for the day, we would advise front desk person of this and our room would be clean. Staff really went out of their way to assist us and make us feel welcome. If we ever come back to NYC I would stay here again

Room Tip: Room 1010 was quiet, clean
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
General M, General Manager at The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Dear skeletoncrew,
Thank you for having chosen the Gem Hotel Midtown West during your visit to NYC. We are so extremely happy that your stay was everything you hoped for when making your hotel reservations. Your reveiw and comments mean a great deal to us to guage our performance and committment to allof our guests. Our WiFi is currently being changed to a much faster fiber optic line and we hope that you get to experience that on your return visit. The Gem is ideally located in an up and coming neighborhood wtih many changes to come. In appreciation for taking the time to post a reveiw, please use "LGEMR" on your return trip.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

This hotel could be your GEM. This small hotel (39 rooms) is a skip from the Javits Center. This summer room rates in NYC are through the roof. The GEM provided a reasonably priced alternative to the larger westside hotels. Rooms are small ... but honestly, no smaller than many other hipster hotels. The design is clean, contemporary and attractive. Coffee maker in the room. No restaurant in this hotel. All in one shampoo/conditioner and body wash are dispensed from canisters inside the shower. Other toiletries are fine - not too smelly :) Robes in closet if you choose to use them. Hairdryer and Iron also in room. Hotel staff very nice & helpful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
General M, General Manager at The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear OBD2142,
Thank you for choosing The Gem Hotel Midtown West during your most recent visit to NYC and the Javits Center. We are extremely excited about your stay with us and your kind reveiw and comments about the experience with the staff and service. We feel that our location is ideal for the business traveler to the Javits and many other local attractions In appreciation please use "LGEMR" on your next return visit.
Indian Lake NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Friendly staff, clean room on arrival, that is where the positives end. BUT, we did not have the benefit of the room being cleaned, vacuumed or serviced during our 2 night stay, nor did we get clean towels until we asked. We were left to make the beds. The TV did not work very well, the wifi was non-existent, the AC was erratic and needed to be constantly shut on and off and set lower and lower to get it to work. Even the ethernet cable was broken. The room was very tiny. Two double beds jammed against side and back walsl a small desk and smaller armoire left very little room to move around in the room. The bath took up around 40% of the total space, but there were hardly any amenities (1 lotion, 1 mouthwash, 1 bar soap for 3 people). In fact, we had to hunt for the second roll of toilet paper-- found in the armoire(??).

The neighborhood is also not the greatest. Hotel jammed into a crevice 3/4 of the way down the block between 9th and 10th avenues. Room is quiet, but walking to it late at night if you are alone, female or elderly, will not be a pleasant experience. There are no restaurants of any note very near to the hotel. The bottom line is that this is certainly no jewel in the hotel crown of NYC and for the price, you can easily find a Helmsley or equivalent hotel in a better neighborhood. They may even clean the room and make the bed during your stay!

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel if you can.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
General M, General Manager at The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear BillQIndianLakeNY,
I like to take this opportunityt to offer my sincere apology to you in our failure to meet you expectations. From you comments it appears several key items were missed. I hope that you will give me the opportunity to discuss the short coming of your stay. Please feel free to contact me at midtown.gm@thegemhotel.com to discuss and reveiw your stay.
Be assured that your reveiw and comments will be addressed and used in our training.
Again my apologies to you.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

Very small but clean, that is what i am looking when i go on business. I can stay again.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
General M, General Manager at The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear Eric197,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Gem Hotel Midtown West Hotel during your most recent trip to NYC. We hope that you had successful business trip and that you will considering choosing the The Gem Hotel again. in appreciation of taking time to write this reveiw please use "LGEMR" on your next return trip.

Calistoga, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

The location is great, very close to many attractions in New York city. The room it self was clean, the decor was very nice, modern, cozy, but the room was tiny. We were a group of 3 and got two double beds and the room felt extremely small, but we were ok with it since we were only there to crash for a few hours as usual. They had complementary water and the lady in the reception was nice to offer to give us directions to attractions and all that good stuff.
The TV. even though it seemed modern, it was very crappy, it took forever to turn on and the quality of image in the channels was poor as well. I don't really care about these things cause I don't really spend time in a hotel watching TV, but I thought I would mentioned it for those who care about such things.
This place is not a budget hotel by any means, it is expensive to me, but I guess if you consider how ridiculously expensive hotels are in Manhattan, then I guess is not all that expensive, but it is still expensive if you know what I mean.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

This is by far the worst hotel I have seen in NYC. I had a reservation at the Gem - Midtown West property. Walking up to the front door, they had multiple trash bags on the curb along with old rolled up carpet. Not a good first impression.

Checking in, the room they gave me was literally in the basement – as in you go to the elevator, hit the “B” button, and you go down. In the basement they have only one hotel room. To get to the room you have to walk past all the cleaning supplies, staff changing area, staff break room, and a shower facility (I’m assuming the shower was for staff, but I did not dare ask the real purpose). The basement room window provided a view of the staff smoking area.

The room was so small a two foot midget would have been claustrophobic sleeping there. Literally I could not pull out the chair from under the desk because it hit the bed. Standing in the room / cube, I heard a dripping sound. I looked up at the ceiling above the bed and noticed a long brown strip caused by water damage from above – this solved the mystery of why the carpet was out on the curb. At this point I knew that my presence in that room would be short lived.

I picked up the phone in the room to call the front desk to ask if they had a different room but the phone did not work. I took the elevator from the basement back up to the reception area to beg for a different room – no luck. On the verge of panic, I started weighing my options: 1) sleep standing up, fully clothed in the basement room, 2) find a bench in Central Park, or 3) locate a bar that is open 24 hours and tie one on. Since I cannot sleep standing up, option 1 was out. I went back to the room, got my suitcase. Walking through the lobby, the receptionist (who was a nice guy) even admitted it gets “a little scary” down there in the basement. With a strong shiver going down my spine, I bid him and the hotel a good day and walked out the front door.

By the grace of God a friend of mine was able to call in a favor and got me a room at a different hotel. The benches in Central Park and the hangover caused by a 24 hour drinking binge will have to wait for the next person sleeping in the basement of the Gem Hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Dear RyanN,
I like to take this opportunity to express my apology to you. With real gems or diamonds there are flaws within them. We at the Gem Hotel Midtown West strive everyday to make sure that we are committed to our guests. It was unfortunate that your reservation was assigned our last room in the lower level. I hope that if you have the opportunity to contact me at midtown.gm@thegemhotel.com I like to offer you an upgraded stay with us.
Our sincere apology again and know that your comments and reveiw of your stay will be addressed.
The Gem Hotel Midtown West

Been to The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member

Address: 449 W. 36th Street, 36th Street between 9th & 10th Avenues, New York City, NY 10018
Location: United States > New York > New York City
#161 Romantic Hotel in New York City
#172 Business Hotel in New York City
Hotel Class:3 star — The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member 3*
Free Wifi. The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards/Midtown West is ideally located in "your corner of the world." We provide boutique atmosphere and offer our guests elegantly designed rooms with luxurious amenities.We are conveniently located in Manhattan Midtown West, just two blocks away from the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center. Guests are within walking distance from all that Midtown Manhattan has to offer, including world-famous restaurants, night clubs, art galleries, shopping and more. The hotel is three blocks away from New York City's subway system and within close proximity to both Penn Station and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.The GEM Hotel Midtown West offers a wide array of amenities and services that add value. For no additional charge, guests can enjoy wired & wireless Internet access, premium bottled water, nightly turndown service with our signature pillow mist, and shoeshine and concierge services.All guest rooms are smoke-free and boast flat-panel LCD televisions, iPod docking stations, paraben-free bath amenities, bath robes, down pillows, plush towels and Wolfgang Puck coffee. Standard room amenities include coffee makers, hair dryers, irons and ironing boards.While staying at this New York hotel, check out the GEMmine in the lobby to find what is happening in the neighborhood; sights, sounds, dining and attractions. You can also tour Manhattan with our GEMwalking tours.The GEM Hotel - Midtown West, an Ascend Collection hotel, is a sanctuary of luxury in a trendy Manhattan neighborhood. Guests will feel truly ensconced in an elegant, private and boutique atmosphere. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Choice Hotels, HotelTravel.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
The Gem Hotel-Midtown West Hotel New York City

If you own or manage The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.