“Working at Javits? Easy Access to Convention Center.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member

You added The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member to your Saves list
The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   449 W. 36th Street, 36th Street between 9th & 10th Avenues, New York City, NY 10018   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #257 of 455 Hotels in New York City
Los Angeles, California
“Working at Javits? Easy Access to Convention Center.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

This hotel could be your GEM. This small hotel (39 rooms) is a skip from the Javits Center. This summer room rates in NYC are through the roof. The GEM provided a reasonably priced alternative to the larger westside hotels. Rooms are small ... but honestly, no smaller than many other hipster hotels. The design is clean, contemporary and attractive. Coffee maker in the room. No restaurant in this hotel. All in one shampoo/conditioner and body wash are dispensed from canisters inside the shower. Other toiletries are fine - not too smelly :) Robes in closet if you choose to use them. Hairdryer and Iron also in room. Hotel staff very nice & helpful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
General M, General Manager at The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear OBD2142,
Thank you for choosing The Gem Hotel Midtown West during your most recent visit to NYC and the Javits Center. We are extremely excited about your stay with us and your kind reveiw and comments about the experience with the staff and service. We feel that our location is ideal for the business traveler to the Javits and many other local attractions In appreciation please use "LGEMR" on your next return visit.
The Gem Hotel Midtown West

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Indian Lake NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Friendly staff, clean room on arrival, that is where the positives end. BUT, we did not have the benefit of the room being cleaned, vacuumed or serviced during our 2 night stay, nor did we get clean towels until we asked. We were left to make the beds. The TV did not work very well, the wifi was non-existent, the AC was erratic and needed to be constantly shut on and off and set lower and lower to get it to work. Even the ethernet cable was broken. The room was very tiny. Two double beds jammed against side and back walsl a small desk and smaller armoire left very little room to move around in the room. The bath took up around 40% of the total space, but there were hardly any amenities (1 lotion, 1 mouthwash, 1 bar soap for 3 people). In fact, we had to hunt for the second roll of toilet paper-- found in the armoire(??).

The neighborhood is also not the greatest. Hotel jammed into a crevice 3/4 of the way down the block between 9th and 10th avenues. Room is quiet, but walking to it late at night if you are alone, female or elderly, will not be a pleasant experience. There are no restaurants of any note very near to the hotel. The bottom line is that this is certainly no jewel in the hotel crown of NYC and for the price, you can easily find a Helmsley or equivalent hotel in a better neighborhood. They may even clean the room and make the bed during your stay!

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel if you can.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
General M, General Manager at The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear BillQIndianLakeNY,
I like to take this opportunityt to offer my sincere apology to you in our failure to meet you expectations. From you comments it appears several key items were missed. I hope that you will give me the opportunity to discuss the short coming of your stay. Please feel free to contact me at midtown.gm@thegemhotel.com to discuss and reveiw your stay.
Be assured that your reveiw and comments will be addressed and used in our training.
Again my apologies to you.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

Very small but clean, that is what i am looking when i go on business. I can stay again.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
General M, General Manager at The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear Eric197,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Gem Hotel Midtown West Hotel during your most recent trip to NYC. We hope that you had successful business trip and that you will considering choosing the The Gem Hotel again. in appreciation of taking time to write this reveiw please use "LGEMR" on your next return trip.

Calistoga, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

The location is great, very close to many attractions in New York city. The room it self was clean, the decor was very nice, modern, cozy, but the room was tiny. We were a group of 3 and got two double beds and the room felt extremely small, but we were ok with it since we were only there to crash for a few hours as usual. They had complementary water and the lady in the reception was nice to offer to give us directions to attractions and all that good stuff.
The TV. even though it seemed modern, it was very crappy, it took forever to turn on and the quality of image in the channels was poor as well. I don't really care about these things cause I don't really spend time in a hotel watching TV, but I thought I would mentioned it for those who care about such things.
This place is not a budget hotel by any means, it is expensive to me, but I guess if you consider how ridiculously expensive hotels are in Manhattan, then I guess is not all that expensive, but it is still expensive if you know what I mean.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

This is by far the worst hotel I have seen in NYC. I had a reservation at the Gem - Midtown West property. Walking up to the front door, they had multiple trash bags on the curb along with old rolled up carpet. Not a good first impression.

Checking in, the room they gave me was literally in the basement – as in you go to the elevator, hit the “B” button, and you go down. In the basement they have only one hotel room. To get to the room you have to walk past all the cleaning supplies, staff changing area, staff break room, and a shower facility (I’m assuming the shower was for staff, but I did not dare ask the real purpose). The basement room window provided a view of the staff smoking area.

The room was so small a two foot midget would have been claustrophobic sleeping there. Literally I could not pull out the chair from under the desk because it hit the bed. Standing in the room / cube, I heard a dripping sound. I looked up at the ceiling above the bed and noticed a long brown strip caused by water damage from above – this solved the mystery of why the carpet was out on the curb. At this point I knew that my presence in that room would be short lived.

I picked up the phone in the room to call the front desk to ask if they had a different room but the phone did not work. I took the elevator from the basement back up to the reception area to beg for a different room – no luck. On the verge of panic, I started weighing my options: 1) sleep standing up, fully clothed in the basement room, 2) find a bench in Central Park, or 3) locate a bar that is open 24 hours and tie one on. Since I cannot sleep standing up, option 1 was out. I went back to the room, got my suitcase. Walking through the lobby, the receptionist (who was a nice guy) even admitted it gets “a little scary” down there in the basement. With a strong shiver going down my spine, I bid him and the hotel a good day and walked out the front door.

By the grace of God a friend of mine was able to call in a favor and got me a room at a different hotel. The benches in Central Park and the hangover caused by a 24 hour drinking binge will have to wait for the next person sleeping in the basement of the Gem Hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Dear RyanN,
I like to take this opportunity to express my apology to you. With real gems or diamonds there are flaws within them. We at the Gem Hotel Midtown West strive everyday to make sure that we are committed to our guests. It was unfortunate that your reservation was assigned our last room in the lower level. I hope that if you have the opportunity to contact me at midtown.gm@thegemhotel.com I like to offer you an upgraded stay with us.
Our sincere apology again and know that your comments and reveiw of your stay will be addressed.
Cromwell, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

The staff was very friendly and the room was clean (no bed bugs)! The room was tiny, but that is to be expected in NYC. The location was a little off-putting at first. It's right by the Lincoln Tunnel, on a very quiet street. The walk to the subway was not too bad, but we took a cab back at night, because of the slightly creepy location. It is pretty close to the Javits center, and there was a cool flea market right around the corner. I don't usually stay over night in NYC, but this hotel was definitely worth the money.

Room Tip: We stayed on the ninth floor. It was nice.
Dear KimberlyCT,
Thank you having chosen The Gem Hotel Midtown West during your most recent stay in New York City. Your reveiw and comments mean alot to us, our staff and I use the feedback as a gauge to measure or level of service and commitment that we strive for everyday. The Gem Midtown West though near the Convention center is quick hop into Hell's kitchen, Chelsea or even to the Flatiron district with trendy bars and restaurants. We hope that on you return visit that you use "LGEMR" and please follw us on FACEBOOK.
Upstate, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

I have stayed previously at the GEM-Chelsea, but received a great rate at the Mid-Town location and decided to give them a try; I came away very impressed. The location is very convenient to Penn Station, in fact, it is closer than their sister property; up three streets and over just two avenues if you use the eighth avenue exit at Penn. The check-in was fast, and my room was spacious with a fantastic bed, and lots of interesting amenities from polished rocks that had engraved messages that you could take with you after leaving, complimentary IPODS that you could check out that were preloaded with special walking tours of the City, to a small vile of aroma therapy oil placed on your bed after the room was serviced that you would place a drop or two on your pillow when settling down for the night. The WiFi is free but was not working while I was there, it turns out that the company they were using has a lousy track record and they are switching to another service provider (Time-Warner) so I wouldn't blame the property, it wasn't their fault. The staff were always smiling and responsive to any questions that I might have. There is a Dunkin Donuts right around the corner, not 100 feet away and the adjacent service station is also a standing area for taxis so you never have to worry about flagging a cab---they are right at your doorstep!! I like the GEM properties but especially liked this one, I will DEFINITELY return.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the street would be best, also there is only one ice machine and it is on the...
Dear DixonR925,
Thank you for staying at The Gem Midtown West during your recent stay in NYC.We are pleased and estatic that you have made Gem Hotel your preferred destination stop. Gem Hotels strive to provide the best service and commitment to all of our guest. Your comments and reveiw lets us know that we are heading in the right directions. The Midtown West is ideally located for the Amtrak traveler, drive (lincoln tunnel), or even by bus. As a continued GEM traveler, please use "LGEMR" for your next return visit or please feel free to contact me at midtown.gm@thegemhotel.com.
The Gem Hotel Midtown West

Been to The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member

Address: 449 W. 36th Street, 36th Street between 9th & 10th Avenues, New York City, NY 10018
Location: United States > New York > New York City
#166 Romantic Hotel in New York City
#172 Business Hotel in New York City
Hotel Class:3 star — The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member 3*
Free Wifi. The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards/Midtown West is ideally located in "your corner of the world." We provide boutique atmosphere and offer our guests elegantly designed rooms with luxurious amenities.We are conveniently located in Manhattan Midtown West, just two blocks away from the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center. Guests are within walking distance from all that Midtown Manhattan has to offer, including world-famous restaurants, night clubs, art galleries, shopping and more. The hotel is three blocks away from New York City's subway system and within close proximity to both Penn Station and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.The GEM Hotel Midtown West offers a wide array of amenities and services that add value. For no additional charge, guests can enjoy wired & wireless Internet access, premium bottled water, nightly turndown service with our signature pillow mist, and shoeshine and concierge services.All guest rooms are smoke-free and boast flat-panel LCD televisions, iPod docking stations, paraben-free bath amenities, bath robes, down pillows, plush towels and Wolfgang Puck coffee. Standard room amenities include coffee makers, hair dryers, irons and ironing boards.While staying at this New York hotel, check out the GEMmine in the lobby to find what is happening in the neighborhood; sights, sounds, dining and attractions. You can also tour Manhattan with our GEMwalking tours.The GEM Hotel - Midtown West, an Ascend Collection hotel, is a sanctuary of luxury in a trendy Manhattan neighborhood. Guests will feel truly ensconced in an elegant, private and boutique atmosphere. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Choice Hotels, HotelTravel.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Odigeo, Agoda, Travelocity and Tingo so you can book your The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
The Gem Hotel-Midtown West Hotel New York City

If you own or manage The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.