Friendly staff, clean room on arrival, that is where the positives end. BUT, we did not have the benefit of the room being cleaned, vacuumed or serviced during our 2 night stay, nor did we get clean towels until we asked. We were left to make the beds. The TV did not work very well, the wifi was non-existent, the AC was erratic and needed to be constantly shut on and off and set lower and lower to get it to work. Even the ethernet cable was broken. The room was very tiny. Two double beds jammed against side and back walsl a small desk and smaller armoire left very little room to move around in the room. The bath took up around 40% of the total space, but there were hardly any amenities (1 lotion, 1 mouthwash, 1 bar soap for 3 people). In fact, we had to hunt for the second roll of toilet paper-- found in the armoire(??).
The neighborhood is also not the greatest. Hotel jammed into a crevice 3/4 of the way down the block between 9th and 10th avenues. Room is quiet, but walking to it late at night if you are alone, female or elderly, will not be a pleasant experience. There are no restaurants of any note very near to the hotel. The bottom line is that this is certainly no jewel in the hotel crown of NYC and for the price, you can easily find a Helmsley or equivalent hotel in a better neighborhood. They may even clean the room and make the bed during your stay!
- Also Known As:
- The Gem Hotel-Midtown West Hotel New York City
- The Gem Hotel-Midtown West Hotel
- The Gem Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Free Wifi. The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards/Midtown West is ideally located in "your corner of the world." We provide boutique atmosphere and offer our guests elegantly designed rooms with luxurious amenities.We are conveniently located in Manhattan Midtown West, just two blocks away from the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center. Guests are within walking distance from all that Midtown Manhattan has to offer, including world-famous restaurants, night clubs, art galleries, shopping and more. The hotel is three blocks away from New York City's subway system and within close proximity to both Penn Station and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.The GEM Hotel Midtown West offers a wide array of amenities and services that add value. For no additional charge, guests can enjoy wired & wireless Internet access, premium bottled water, nightly turndown service with our signature pillow mist, and shoeshine and concierge services.All guest rooms are smoke-free and boast flat-panel LCD televisions, iPod docking stations, paraben-free bath amenities, bath robes, down pillows, plush towels and Wolfgang Puck coffee. Standard room amenities include coffee makers, hair dryers, irons and ironing boards.While staying at this New York hotel, check out the GEMmine in the lobby to find what is happening in the neighborhood; sights, sounds, dining and attractions. You can also tour Manhattan with our GEMwalking tours.The GEM Hotel - Midtown West, an Ascend Collection hotel, is a sanctuary of luxury in a trendy Manhattan neighborhood. Guests will feel truly ensconced in an elegant, private and boutique atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Choice Hotels, Tingo, Agoda, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, EasyToBook, Expedia, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards/Midtown West reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.