“GOOD LOCATION, EXPENSIVE BUT NOT TOO EXPENSIVE CONSIDERING THE AREA” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards/Midtown West

Save Saved
You added The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards/Midtown West to your Saves list
The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards/Midtown West
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   449 W. 36th Street, 36th Street between 9th & 10th Avenues, New York City, NY 10018   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #261 of 453 Hotels in New York City
Calistoga, California
“GOOD LOCATION, EXPENSIVE BUT NOT TOO EXPENSIVE CONSIDERING THE AREA”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

The location is great, very close to many attractions in New York city. The room it self was clean, the decor was very nice, modern, cozy, but the room was tiny. We were a group of 3 and got two double beds and the room felt extremely small, but we were ok with it since we were only there to crash for a few hours as usual. They had complementary water and the lady in the reception was nice to offer to give us directions to attractions and all that good stuff.
The TV. even though it seemed modern, it was very crappy, it took forever to turn on and the quality of image in the channels was poor as well. I don't really care about these things cause I don't really spend time in a hotel watching TV, but I thought I would mentioned it for those who care about such things.
This place is not a budget hotel by any means, it is expensive to me, but I guess if you consider how ridiculously expensive hotels are in Manhattan, then I guess is not all that expensive, but it is still expensive if you know what I mean.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

This is by far the worst hotel I have seen in NYC. I had a reservation at the Gem - Midtown West property. Walking up to the front door, they had multiple trash bags on the curb along with old rolled up carpet. Not a good first impression.

Checking in, the room they gave me was literally in the basement – as in you go to the elevator, hit the “B” button, and you go down. In the basement they have only one hotel room. To get to the room you have to walk past all the cleaning supplies, staff changing area, staff break room, and a shower facility (I’m assuming the shower was for staff, but I did not dare ask the real purpose). The basement room window provided a view of the staff smoking area.

The room was so small a two foot midget would have been claustrophobic sleeping there. Literally I could not pull out the chair from under the desk because it hit the bed. Standing in the room / cube, I heard a dripping sound. I looked up at the ceiling above the bed and noticed a long brown strip caused by water damage from above – this solved the mystery of why the carpet was out on the curb. At this point I knew that my presence in that room would be short lived.

I picked up the phone in the room to call the front desk to ask if they had a different room but the phone did not work. I took the elevator from the basement back up to the reception area to beg for a different room – no luck. On the verge of panic, I started weighing my options: 1) sleep standing up, fully clothed in the basement room, 2) find a bench in Central Park, or 3) locate a bar that is open 24 hours and tie one on. Since I cannot sleep standing up, option 1 was out. I went back to the room, got my suitcase. Walking through the lobby, the receptionist (who was a nice guy) even admitted it gets “a little scary” down there in the basement. With a strong shiver going down my spine, I bid him and the hotel a good day and walked out the front door.

By the grace of God a friend of mine was able to call in a favor and got me a room at a different hotel. The benches in Central Park and the hangover caused by a 24 hour drinking binge will have to wait for the next person sleeping in the basement of the Gem Hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards/Midtown West, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Dear RyanN,
I like to take this opportunity to express my apology to you. With real gems or diamonds there are flaws within them. We at the Gem Hotel Midtown West strive everyday to make sure that we are committed to our guests. It was unfortunate that your reservation was assigned our last room in the lower level. I hope that if you have the opportunity to contact me at midtown.gm@thegemhotel.com I like to offer you an upgraded stay with us.
Our sincere apology again and know that your comments and reveiw of your stay will be addressed.
Cromwell, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

The staff was very friendly and the room was clean (no bed bugs)! The room was tiny, but that is to be expected in NYC. The location was a little off-putting at first. It's right by the Lincoln Tunnel, on a very quiet street. The walk to the subway was not too bad, but we took a cab back at night, because of the slightly creepy location. It is pretty close to the Javits center, and there was a cool flea market right around the corner. I don't usually stay over night in NYC, but this hotel was definitely worth the money.

Room Tip: We stayed on the ninth floor. It was nice.
Dear KimberlyCT,
Thank you having chosen The Gem Hotel Midtown West during your most recent stay in New York City. Your reveiw and comments mean alot to us, our staff and I use the feedback as a gauge to measure or level of service and commitment that we strive for everyday. The Gem Midtown West though near the Convention center is quick hop into Hell's kitchen, Chelsea or even to the Flatiron district with trendy bars and restaurants. We hope that on you return visit that you use "LGEMR" and please follw us on FACEBOOK.
Upstate, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

I have stayed previously at the GEM-Chelsea, but received a great rate at the Mid-Town location and decided to give them a try; I came away very impressed. The location is very convenient to Penn Station, in fact, it is closer than their sister property; up three streets and over just two avenues if you use the eighth avenue exit at Penn. The check-in was fast, and my room was spacious with a fantastic bed, and lots of interesting amenities from polished rocks that had engraved messages that you could take with you after leaving, complimentary IPODS that you could check out that were preloaded with special walking tours of the City, to a small vile of aroma therapy oil placed on your bed after the room was serviced that you would place a drop or two on your pillow when settling down for the night. The WiFi is free but was not working while I was there, it turns out that the company they were using has a lousy track record and they are switching to another service provider (Time-Warner) so I wouldn't blame the property, it wasn't their fault. The staff were always smiling and responsive to any questions that I might have. There is a Dunkin Donuts right around the corner, not 100 feet away and the adjacent service station is also a standing area for taxis so you never have to worry about flagging a cab---they are right at your doorstep!! I like the GEM properties but especially liked this one, I will DEFINITELY return.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the street would be best, also there is only one ice machine and it is on the...
Dear DixonR925,
Thank you for staying at The Gem Midtown West during your recent stay in NYC.We are pleased and estatic that you have made Gem Hotel your preferred destination stop. Gem Hotels strive to provide the best service and commitment to all of our guest. Your comments and reveiw lets us know that we are heading in the right directions. The Midtown West is ideally located for the Amtrak traveler, drive (lincoln tunnel), or even by bus. As a continued GEM traveler, please use "LGEMR" for your next return visit or please feel free to contact me at midtown.gm@thegemhotel.com.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

I booked a room at this hotel through Priceline for 6/16-17/2012. I arrived on 6/16 and was told by the front desk staff that my King room was upgraded to a double bed room. Only problem was there were NO rooms available, NO King, NO Double! We learned this after having cleaining staff check one room and then being escorted up to another room, only to find that it was occupied. The front desk staff then told me that no rooms where available but that there were rooms at the Comfort Inn across the street. They were nice enough to walk me acroos the street; enroute, I asked my escort if the Comfort Inn was as nice as the Gem, and was told that it was "comfortable" but not as nice.

The next morning (6/17) I checked my bank account online and learned that The Gem had not one, not two, but THREE authorizations on my card. Two were for the room (!) and the other one was for parking...which was only to be validated, not charged to the room!! (This hotel does not have a parking lot, so why would an authorization even be required for a simple validation??) I called to find out about the authorizations and was told that my card would not be charged and the authorizations would be removed by Wednesday, 6/20. Ok fine...

I checked my account again today (6/19) to find that I was charged for the stay, after being told they were going to remove the authorizations. I called, and after the front desk person did some research, was told that the charge would be reversed in 72 hours. Because I "checked out" on the weekend, it will take time for it to be removed. Funny, because I never actually checked in. In addition, one of the authorizations is still pending and I was told that would be removed by 6/20 (we'll see).

Though the front desk staff was helpful and responsive, the booking and billing practices of this hotel leave a LOT to be desired. Unfortunately,friendly, helpful and responsive staff do NOT make up for being charged for a stay when I never made it pass the lobby, except to view an occupied room. I travel to NY frequently and typically stay in the Times Square area at the more pricey hotels. I guess I'll be returning back to that area... may cost more, but I've never had problems with getting a room or billing.

Dear K B,
I like to take this opportunity of offer you my sincere apology to you for the level of service received. I hope that if you have the opportunity to contact me at midtown.gm@thegemhotel.com I would like to assist you with the bank in resolving your accounts. I hope that you will also allow me the opportunity to make up your stay in some way. And truly experience THE GEM.
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

After reading several of the reviews for the hotels in this immediate area, I decided on booking reservations at this hotel. Many of the reviews of this property stated that the rooms were small, which many reviewers noted was the standard for Manhattan hotels. True to the reviews, my room was very small, but clean. I travel quite a bit for work and have basic standards on where I choose to spend the night. Pretty much, if the hotel and rooming accomodations are CLEAN, I'm pretty much happy. All the other ammenities are 'gravy'. I can't say enough about the staff, they were very helpful and insightful on eateries in the immediate area. I would recommend this hotel, just be mindful, the rooms are small....

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
General M, General Manager at The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards/Midtown West, responded to this review, June 1, 2012
Dear mrlutor,
Thank you for chosing The Gem Hotel Midtown West during your most recent visit to NYC and taking the time to post your comments and review of your stay. We pride ourselves with the level of service and commitment we have for our guest. The everyday experiences and interaction! Please use LGERM on your next return visit and follow us on Facebook.
Lawrence Hou
Wakefield, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

I recently stayed at the Gem for one night, and let's just say a gem it is not. The room was tiny (smaller than any of the rooms I stayed in during my recent trip to Europe). There was only about two feet of walking space around the king sized bed. The bathroom was tiny as well--you couldn't even open the door all the way. Every time I pushed it open from the outside, it hit the toilet.

The room was not as clean as it could have been. There were several hairs on the bed sheet, and the bathroom was very grungy--it was in desperate need of an update. The tub and shower were so grungy that I didn't even want to use them.

I wasn't happy with the location. I have been to New York over 30 times, and usually stay in the Times Square/Rockefeller Center area. I have never felt unsafe in that area, but I didn't feel comfortable here. There were always sketchy looking people lingering around the neighborhood (picking through trash, or lingering in doorways drinking and smoking).

I would not recommend this hotel, and I will not stay here again. You get what you pay for in New York. If you're looking for a cheap room and don't care about the quality or condition, stay here. But if you want a clean comfortable room, stay elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Been to The GEM Hotel Hudson Yards/Midtown West? Share your experiences!