This is by far the worst hotel I have seen in NYC. I had a reservation at the Gem - Midtown West property. Walking up to the front door, they had multiple trash bags on the curb along with old rolled up carpet. Not a good first impression.
Checking in, the room they gave me was literally in the basement – as in you go to the elevator, hit the “B” button, and you go down. In the basement they have only one hotel room. To get to the room you have to walk past all the cleaning supplies, staff changing area, staff break room, and a shower facility (I’m assuming the shower was for staff, but I did not dare ask the real purpose). The basement room window provided a view of the staff smoking area.
The room was so small a two foot midget would have been claustrophobic sleeping there. Literally I could not pull out the chair from under the desk because it hit the bed. Standing in the room / cube, I heard a dripping sound. I looked up at the ceiling above the bed and noticed a long brown strip caused by water damage from above – this solved the mystery of why the carpet was out on the curb. At this point I knew that my presence in that room would be short lived.
I picked up the phone in the room to call the front desk to ask if they had a different room but the phone did not work. I took the elevator from the basement back up to the reception area to beg for a different room – no luck. On the verge of panic, I started weighing my options: 1) sleep standing up, fully clothed in the basement room, 2) find a bench in Central Park, or 3) locate a bar that is open 24 hours and tie one on. Since I cannot sleep standing up, option 1 was out. I went back to the room, got my suitcase. Walking through the lobby, the receptionist (who was a nice guy) even admitted it gets “a little scary” down there in the basement. With a strong shiver going down my spine, I bid him and the hotel a good day and walked out the front door.
By the grace of God a friend of mine was able to call in a favor and got me a room at a different hotel. The benches in Central Park and the hangover caused by a 24 hour drinking binge will have to wait for the next person sleeping in the basement of the Gem Hotel.
- Also Known As:
- The Gem Hotel-Midtown West Hotel
- The Gem Hotel-Midtown West Hotel New York City
- The Gem Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Free Wifi. The GEM Hotel Midtown West is ideally located in "your corner of the world." We provide boutique atmosphere and offer our guests elegantly designed rooms with luxurious amenities.We are conveniently located in Manhattan Midtown West, just two blocks away from the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center. Guests are within walking distance from all that Midtown Manhattan has to offer, including world-famous restaurants, night clubs, art galleries, shopping and more. The hotel is three blocks away from New York City's subway system and within close proximity to both Penn Station and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.The GEM Hotel Midtown West offers a wide array of amenities and services that add value. For no additional charge, guests can enjoy wired & wireless Internet access, premium bottled water, nightly turndown service with our signature pillow mist, and shoeshine and concierge services.All guest rooms are smoke-free and boast flat-panel LCD televisions, iPod docking stations, paraben-free bath amenities, bath robes, down pillows, plush towels and Wolfgang Puck coffee. Standard room amenities include coffee makers, hair dryers, irons and ironing boards.While staying at this New York hotel, check out the GEMmine in the lobby to find what is happening in the neighborhood; sights, sounds, dining and attractions. You can also tour Manhattan with our GEMwalking tours.The GEM Hotel - Midtown West, an Ascend Collection hotel, is a sanctuary of luxury in a trendy Manhattan neighborhood. Guests will feel truly ensconced in an elegant, private and boutique atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda, Hotels.com, Choice Hotels, Travelocity, Venere, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Expedia and Tingo so you can book your The GEM Hotel Midtown West reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.